Here we go. 7th open heart surgery @ Mayo Clinic April 26th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gocubs

Well, my trip to Mayo was a success; they've agreed to take on my case and my surgery is scheduled for April 26th.

Previously, you may recall the last surgeon wouldn't operate on me: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...ack-to-square-one-surgeon-won-t-operate-on-me

And, I had asked about the On-X valve: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...r-7th-open-heart-surgery-thoughts-on-on-x-mhv

Interestingly, this surgeon said he would like to do the On-X, but i may be too big. My aorta is a little trashed from the 6 previous surgeries and very narrow, so On-X may be too big. He said the backup play is a Carbomedics Top Hat. Don't know a ton about this one, but the research so far looks kind of interesting, especially for an aorta that's all calcified and narrow.

Since it's been 11 years since my last surgery, i feel like I'm a little rusty...any advice? I'm no longer a spry 19 year old and just turned 31 so, I'm sure the recovery is going to be a little slower :)

gocubs;n875415 said:
Well, my trip to Mayo was a success; they've agreed to take on my case and my surgery is scheduled for April 26th.

Very glad to read that :)

I'm a little rusty...any advice? I'm no longer a spry 19 year old and just turned 31 so, I'm sure the recovery is going to be a little slower :)

Myself I recommend some Kimchi to take as a side dish with meals because that's a sure thing for getting movement. It helps me get my plumbing going down stairs

Tastes good too :)

Wow, 7th OHS?! I'm having my second in two weeks, but it'll be the first one I remember. We're the same age and you're just next door to me (I'm in Des Moines) :p I'm so thankful that this should be my last surgery, a little nervous about managing warfarin but there's great support here, and a lot nervous about recovery!

Recovery slow at 31? Many of us went through this surgery at double your age! That (age) is not so much the driver of your recovery's duration as much as the complications driven by past surgeries. You are still young enough that your body will heal well, but it will have to cope with the added dimensions of past surgeries.

I'm NOT trying to tell you to fear recovery. Quite the contrary, I think you will mend faster than you expect, barring any complications from past surgeries. Wishing you only the best, smoothest and fastest recovery.

Awesome! Best of luck to you! Hoping for this to be a lifelong fix for you. Love your profile name! You should be all healed up in plenty of time to really celebrate back to back World Series Championships. I'm a huge Cubs fan myself. Moved away from IL when I was young but the Cubbies have always stayed with me. My doc mentioned the potential of surgery this fall. No joke, the first thing I thought about was the MLB playoffs. May not be conducive to good healing the way I watch games, especially if they continue to play the anxiety inducing baseball they've been playing this season. Plus always try to make a Wrigley pilgrimage in September. Take care!

Hope everything went well and the recovery was a breeze! I had a brain surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota in 2002. That is a great place to be. Praying you had a great experience too.

Latest posts

Back