T Minus 4 days and counting....SUPER ANXIOUS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifesaverDO

I have my 2nd open heart surgery coming up to replace my pulmonary valve at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

My first was a TOF repair.

A bit nervous, as this will be on C/P bypass. My biggest fear is my heart not restarting.

Please keep me in your prayers and good thoughts!

lifesaverDO;n875352 said:
I have my 2nd open heart surgery coming up to replace my pulmonary valve at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

A bit nervous, as this will be on C/P bypass. My biggest fear is my heart not restarting.

if it doesn't they will shock it with paddles

We had a member here a long time ago who had his wife use a Sharpie marker and inscribe his chest with "Notice! Be sure to re-start heart before closing chest." IIRC, though, it only got mixed reviews from the docs, as one or two took offense at it.

IMy biggest fear is my heart not restarting.!
Hi LifesaverDO - you might not realise but your fear of your heart not re-starting is actually quite common. I didn’t have it but I just found this on Adam Pick’s heart valve surgery website:

"Today, I know this fear is common in most patients and most caregivers. Barbara just wrote to me, “Adam – I am writing because my husband is scheduled for aortic valve replacement in two weeks. He has some fears even though we have confidence in his surgeon and cardiologist (Richard Shemin will be his surgeon at UCLA, and Larry Yeatman is his cardiologist at Santa Monica- UCLA). His fear is that his heart will not start-up after it is stopped during the surgery.” Barbara concluded with, “Is this a common fear?”

"As I have written before, fear can be transformed into a helpful acronym – F.E.A.R = Fantasized Experiences Appearing Real. On that note, you should know that I have yet to personally hear of one patient whose heart failed to restart following cardiac surgery.”

I can't post the link to the website becasue I keep getting 'unapproved' message !

My dude, if they re-started this cold black heart in my chest, you will be a cinch! Good mojo your way!

Thank you everyone. My doctor said, there is a 1% chance of mortality, intact he said its less than 1%. He was very calm and collective about it.

you'll be Ok ! Don't worry

Been a few years since i last posted on this forum

they misdiagnosed my dilated ascending aorta using the echo 6 years ago. originally thought it was 49mm, MRI scan showed it was 44mm

I forgot about my heart condition and just carried on with life, with the obligatory once a year check ups

However over 5 years later the latest MRI scan has revealed it is has now reached 49mm

The bicuspid aortic valve seems to have stabilised during the last few years at a moderately stenotic level

I think my time for going under the knife is fast approaching too

Latest posts

Back