Mitral Valve Replacement (Next Wed 22nd March)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judy bee

Thanks to all of you who so kindly have held my metaphorical hand :} thesse last few weeks...I'm going into hospital on Monday. Angioplasty ,Tests etc and then the Surgery

This forum has had the biggest part in helping me decide ,albeit reluctantly, to go mechanical). Had a dental check yesterday and I've been put on anti biotics for a lymph swelling..

Also for those new agey types, a friend has been treating me to pranic healing sessions ( I haven't googled exactly what it is yet but if any of you ever get an opportunity to try it ,say YES ! )

Any last minute advice greatly appreciated...I'm taking my laptop and a dongle into hospital so all being well I'll be in touch again...

Good Luck to us all x

and special thanks to Pellicle who takes no prisoners but his heart's in the right place.. hahaa..

Good luck next week, we'll all be rooting for you and a speedy recovery. The only things I can offer at this point is to not be afraid to challenge your doc and be your own advocate. Secondly, the biggest surprise for me was waking from anesthesia with the breathing tube. It was a very anxious experience for me, feeling as if I could not breathe. I panicked and had to be restrained. Had I known better I would have expected it and been more calm. Once I was able to think rationally and calm myself down it wasn't that bad. Use your pillow a lot and force yourself to cough as uncomfortable as it is, but have to clear out the lungs! Again, best wishes and keep us posted.

Phil

Oh judy bee, the worst part is what you are going through right now......the waiting! I second what bugchucker said about being your own best advocate. Oh and there is no prize for not taking the pain meds so take what offer to make you comfortable. I have had two valve replacements in less than 5 years and breathing tube never bothered me with either one. Use that spirometer to keep those lungs clear, make sure your system is awake and working (yes, the bm thing is way important), and most of all feel confident with your valve decisions. I had a tissue first and then mechanical and both have given me my life back.

Best wishes to you!

Best of luck to you Judy Bee! Keep in mind that once your home you may not be able to reach above shoulder height - I had problems opening our fridge door once I was home. So if you have items in your cupboard that you need to reach for, get them down now onto the counter. Also, is there someone who could bring you your laptop?? Seriously you won't be able to use it yourself for the first couple days.

Hey guys... 2 weeks and 1 day later and here I am ,a bonafide zippe '.

All good. Yes pain and fatigue but amazing to have it behind me.

Amazingly , though I was all set to go mechanical, the night before surgery,there was an anomoly with my liver tests and both surgeon and cardiologist got on the same page and said TISSUE..

So that's what I have. 27mm Edwards Perimount Magna Mitral Ease. Rinse and repeat in about 7 years I guesss though I'm not thinking about that now.

How's everyone doing on here ? Thanks for all the love and pre OT support. Judy xx

Looks like I missed a bit here, but I get to be the first to welcome you to the zipper club! Best wishes in your recovery. You can do more than you think, and your support team will get you moving right away! I have heard things about warfarin and metabolizing in the liver. Sounds like its a good thing it was caught. We have many who have been on the table more than once (myself included, and that was even with mechanical). Don't start a count down calendar or anything, just get healthy and get on with life. We've had a lot of members well over the ten year mark on tissue. We don't always hear from a lot of them because they are relatively maintenance free until they need to be replaced again. I think there is a thread regarding "who's over eleven years on a tissue?" Might be a good read for you.

Hi

judy bee;n875208 said:
Hey guys... 2 weeks and 1 day later and here I am ,a bonafide zippe '.

we each need to pick what fits our needs ... I'm glad to read / see that you're doing well

It is wise to (as you say) don't think about the future ... too many what iffs especially when there are sound medical reasons driving your choice.

oops..* anomaly .. Gotta learn to read thro before I hit send :}
... err ... you do know you can edit right? Even on a phone ;-)

I'm living and learning Mister P :} Thanks to you and Superman :} I had the surgery done in Bombay, India ! ( Mumbai).

London trained brilliant Surgeon and lovely Anaesthetist.

5 days in ICU.. In hospital 2 days prior to surgery .Angiogram was clear. .12 days total in hospital. Dare I say it , it was actually a pleasant experience..

yes yes of course there is pain.

I made a decision to be brave and it kinda worked out for me...If anyone has to PAY for surgery, crazy as it sounds, consider my surgeon in India ...?

Me saying I made a decision to be brave worked for me as things did not go terribly wrong as they have for so many of you so please forgive me if I sounded flippant. I'm not and I'm still in the process.early days..

judy bee;n875223 said:
Me saying I made a decision to be brave worked for me as things did not go terribly wrong as they have for so many of you so please forgive me if I sounded flippant. .
anyone complaining about something like that needs a transfusion of T-Helper cells from someones humourous

Thanks Guys... Much Love.. Good Luck to all in recovery and to those in the waiting room I say it's not as bad as you think it's gonna be.. more risk being knocked down by a bus probably..and apologies in advance to those who have been (knocked by a bus) including my friend Norma.xx

Latest posts

Back