Today!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an observation:

FredW;n866606 said:
More details about the valve: Fred's valve had three leaflets (not bicuspid as they thought previously), lots of calcification, and was replaced by a "trifecta gt" valve by St Jude's.

this underscores my usual views that "you can't rely on scans to tell you everything" (because medical diagnostic imaging just isn't that accurate yet), and "why its important for the surgeon to actually see things"

also, that rate of decay you mentioned is usually non linear. So it may be 0.12cm per year at first and progress to 0.2cm per year later

This is Fred doing his own post.

As expected, have pain to deal with.they have good meds here to manage it.

I'm still in ICU because they have no open beds in "step down"
I'll exit ICU as soon as a bed opens. Chess tubes suck. They have already taken out two IVs. Got Togo, nurse wants to do something. Thank all of you that have replied.
Later

Hope they can get your chest tubes out before long, Fred. Good to hear by your own hand. Steady on!

pellicle;n866614 said:
Just an observation:
You are so correct about the accuracy of the tests we get. I could have made money off the cardiologist had I bet him that I did not have a BAV. Also, I'm not sure they know exactly what caused the heart to act out during my stress echo test. As much as we engineers and scientific types are uncomfortable with it, there are still unknown in health care.

this underscores my usual views that "you can't rely on scans to tell you everything" (because medical diagnostic imaging just isn't that accurate yet), and "why its important for the surgeon to actually see things"

also, that rate of decay you mentioned is usually non linear. So it may be 0.12cm per year at first and progress to 0.2cm per year later[/QUOTE]

FredW;n866668 said:
You are so correct about the accuracy of the tests we get. I could have made money off the cardiologist had I bet him that I did not have a BAV. Also, I'm not sure they know exactly what caused the heart to act out during my stress echo test. As much as we engineers and scientific types are uncomfortable with it, there are still unknown in health care.

I often think that medicine is not a science, as they must deal with the ill defined ... You may find this applicable: (url)

[FONT=&quot]So far we have discussed art of medicine as a human faculty that has to be based on science. Medicine, however, is not an exact science. It is an applied science, and its practice is an art.[/FONT]

all too often people get confused by all the technology and "the machine that goes bing" and think that its a science ... when its not

frequently its a stage show ... which is why the Operating Room was called "Theater" for so long

Hey Fred - Just a "heads-up." Be sure that your digestive system starts back up on time. If things inside get "blocked up" get help right away. The meds they give you in the OR literally stop the peristaltic motion in your intestines. In my case, it just didn't re-start and I was so blocked up that ultimately I was re-admitted to the hospital a month later to get things going again. I wouldn't wish that on my favorite enemy. . .

After my recent pacemaker/lead surgery, I started on Miralax as soon as I came home, then tapered off the dosage. Things went right back to normal in short order.

BTW, pellicle swears by kimchi instead of over-the-counter meds.

photo_operating_theater_Jefferson_Medical_College_  c._1900.jp.jpg

Back