The Surgeon Choice...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!

When looking for a surgeon, do you take his age into account?

I ask this because getting older gives experience but also, at a certain point, some physical (and also cognitive) decline. I have read somewhere that in UK, for instance, surgeons over 65 cannot perform surgeries anymore (is this really true?). In my country, as far as i know, there is no such limit.

Regards.

Though I was known to be a strong person emotionally, yet the day my husband and sister came late one morning to the hospital (I insisted they sleep and rest more) I felt very weak and lonesome! I cried as I strongly needed them to be by my side. Friends' and relatives' visits were also a great emotional uplift for my soul and healing spirits!

If I were you, I would stay with dr Chen, especially that you bonded. Trusting is a big factor.
Also, since you already have a mechanical valve, I would go with mechanical valve.

This my 2-cents thoughts!

Wish you reach a decision soon and feel at peace with it!

Good luck.

My surgeon graduated from medical school in 1971. After meeting him and discussing my situation, his age was never a question in my mind. I valued his extensive experience and trusted that he wouldn't still be doing surgery if he was losing his abilities.

My surgeon graduated from medical school in 1971. After meeting him and discussing my situation, his age was never a question in my mind. I valued his extensive experience and trusted that he wouldn't still be doing surgery if he was losing his abilities.

Hi Guyswell

Do you mind me asking why your valve only lasted 8 years
Were you young when it was implanted

Had similar valve last year

Thanks Mike

I was age 41 when I received my bovine pericardial valve. My primary reason was to avoid the need for warfarin. I had good results with my first valve for 7 years. We replaced it last year because it had become severely calcified and rigid. The blood flow was severely restricted and I was experiencing chest pains and shortness of breath. We don't know why the valve failed sooner than average. Our best guess is that my metabolism/immune system was more active than normal in the calcification process (even considering my relatively young age). We had to assume the same thing would happen again in my case, so we chose a mechanical valve this time (I'm currently age 50). So far, the warfarin has not caused any problems. I believe that in both cases, given our knowledge at the time, we made the correct valve choice.

Dear Guyswell

Thank you for posting this honest account. I was just about to go do my weekly INR test while having my morning coffee.

Having had a 38 year old just recently asking Ross or mechanical and hearing the tissue vs mechanical here frequently it is perhaps helpful for those still shocked by their recent diagnosis to read an experience.

I was age 41 when I received my bovine pericardial valve. My primary reason was to avoid the need for warfarin. I had good results with my first valve for 7 years.

Please to all the less than 40 year old people considering a tissue valve to avoid warfarin, consider this situation when talking yourselves into the valve lasting up to twenty years, and consider the very real likelihood of it lasting seven. From what I read this result is not atypical for younger patients (seven years I mean).

So far, the warfarin has not caused any problems.

And another who has found that the horror of warfarin actually was just like all horror movies, simply a movie.

This is not to say that warfarin can not cause difficulty with some people, but in the main with those people this can be identified.

I believe that in both cases, given our knowledge at the time, we made the correct valve choice.

Which brings me to why I am posting this: knowledge. Knowledge comes from facts. Facts come from experiences. Fear comes from absence of knowledge or experiences. To those in the waiting room wondering if they should go tissue or mechanical. Listening to the "up to twenty years" of kicking the warfarin can down the road. Eventually you will face it.

I can only hope that if you choose a tissue that your reoperation goes smoothly too .... just don't be shocked if it doesn't.

Best wishes.

Hi Guyswell

Thank you for the reply, greatly appreciated

Here's to many healthy years ahead for you

Though I was known to be a strong person emotionally, yet the day my husband and sister came late one morning to the hospital (I insisted they sleep and rest more) I felt very weak and lonesome! I cried as I strongly needed them to be by my side. Friends' and relatives' visits were also a great emotional uplift for my soul and healing spirits!

If I were you, I would stay with dr Chen, especially that you bonded. Trusting is a big factor.
Also, since you already have a mechanical valve, I would go with mechanical valve.

This my 2-cents thoughts!

Wish you reach a decision soon and feel at peace with it!

Good luck.
The last thing I wanted after surgery was a bunch of people visiting. I asked my wife to keep everybody away, which she did, and we had a big get together after I got home.

My surgeon has come to talk to me before each of my last 2 surgeries. I don't think I would've gone with a surgeon I hadn't met and discussed the surgery and what he was going to do ahead of time. Before my 2nd surgery, it was urgent as I came in from the ER, and so I met my surgeon just a day before my surgery. Almost 9 years later I was in the hospital recovering from sob, caused by problems from bacterial endocarditis. Dr. Craig Miller came into my room and discussed in detail my case, and which valve he would favor, and what would be done in case my tissue was in such poor shape that I couldn't get his first choice of another mechanical. He also gave great details of the aortic valve/graft replacement and mitral repair he would do. I went home and didn't call right away, thinking I had a couple of weeks to recover from that hospital stay. But, Dr. Miller had his assistant call ME, wondering why I hadn't called to schedule the surgery.
Great surgeons have time for you. This is my opinion, anyway. Go with your gut.

I was operated at St Josephs by Dr. Chen in early November shortly after the move from Emory. Due to a few post op complications I spent a week in the ICU. I can not express enough praise for the Cardiac ICU unit at St Josephs. The care was excellent and the response time was instant. I do not know how the hospital ranked but I would not hesitate to have my surgery at St. Josephs. By the way the surgical staff I believe all moved with Dr. Chen to St Josephs from Emory.

I am glad you are doing well, I had surgery in Oct. 2011 with Dr. Chen at Emory. I had a few post op complications and I spent eight nights in the hospital.

Back