Can't breathe lying down, I'm going to lose it

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle D

I think I'm relapsing back into heart failure, I can't breathe laying down. I'm exhausted and can't wait for my August 11th surgery. Today was really tough, it hard to keep positive when you are over-tired. Sometimes I'm sick of being tough, I'm sick of being strong. It felt good today for me to have a crying spell. Sorry I'm just venting. Today I took extra lasix and limited my sodium and fluids and immbreathing a little better. I'm having slight chest pains too. But there's no point in going to the ER, there's nothing that they can do about it. I'm just sick of this and wish I could have my surgery tomorrow. Thanks for listening. Most people just don't understand how exhausting the waiting, worrying, and the chf symptoms. :(:frown2:

Michelle,
I have that same problem with the breathing. I have found that sleeping "propped up" on the sofa works best for me. I have good and bad days with the breathing. My surgery is 2 weeks from today - I guess you are two weeks after me. Noticed you are in Florida - Where are you having your surgery done?

I tried putting my pillow on the kitchen table, and slept in a chair at the table. It didn't work very well. You're quite right; the surgery works. May August 11th come quickly for you!

Michelle, would sleeping propped up on 2 or even 3 large pillows help? I still do that years after surgery.

Sorry you are going through a rough patch. Waiting is hard but do try to think positive thoughts.

You have to call your doctor and get some help with this. You may need more than Lasix to get rid of the fluid. My husband had CHF for years and years. It does come and go and for the most part, if your kidneys cooperate, can be controlled with Lasix and also possibly Zaroxolyn along with the Lasix. It is imperative that you stay very low sodium too. If your CHF becomes too bad, you should go to the ER for IV Lasix, especially if you cannot breathe.

Your surgery is fast approaching, and help is on the way, but until then, make sure you call your doctor and get the help you need to get through ths period of time.

Oh Michelle, I'm so sorry. I remember too well how that feels. I was just like that before my MVR. It's scary, and so much worse at 3 am when you are tired and scared, coughing and crying, and can't breath, and then your throat closes up from crying.

If you have a recliner, especially a big sturdy one, see if you can sleep in it any better. A big wedge pillow, or one of those dorm room reader pillows may help if you don't have a recliner.

I'm assuming they can't move your surgery up any???? Do you have any medicine for anxiety? You don't need to be upset and crying. It just makes breathing harder.

The extra lasix should help some, but it's overall so stinking uncomfortable.

I'm also scheduled for August 11, for my AVR. PM me if you want to talk.

MANY people sleep in a Recliner after their surgery. It might help you before yours.

As others have said, be sure to call your Doctors (both Cardio and Surgeon) about this.
Hopefully they can help control your issues or maybe the Surgeon might be willing / able to do your surgery sooner.

Hope all goes well for you.

'AL Capshaw'

So sorry to hear what you are enduring. I agree a call to your doctors is the best course. Hopefully, they can get you some relief.

Michelle

I am sorry to hear about your breathing problems. I had that about 3 weeks ago. The Digoxin that gave me seems to help and having had my cathwhile I was in the hospital seems to help. Now I know exactly what is and is not wrong. I think we have some nerves thrown in there and that doesn't help. I am waiting with you. Mine is Aug 9. I just keep hoping nothing happens before then. I am trying to keep busy. Everyone keeps telling me - it will be OK. That's because they aren't facing the surgery. We know it will most likely be OK, but there are always thoughts about - what if??? I will keep you in my thoughts and be counting the days and hours with you. Pat

Pat

Michelle,

I agree about a recliner -- I slept in one for months after surgery. It might well be helpful pre-surgery, too, if you have one or have access to one. (If not, the big pillows are another option.) I found I could take a series of 2 or 3 hour naps in it as needed, and also was good for relaxing -- listening to soothing tapes or watching fun movies.

Last edited:
I definately would put in a call to the surgeons, if they know how bad you are they might try to move your case up.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I am going to the Cleveland clinic in Cleveland. I can't get an earlier date. I don't have a recliner but perhaps a pillow on the kitchen table. I can breathe best leaning forward so I did end up getting some sleep sitting up leaning over five pillows. I started taking more lasix and I'm avoid all sodium today and I've got 16 oz of water measured out for the day. I just took a Valium and will take a nap now, hopefully the Valium isn't stronger than the lasix is you know what I meant. It's hard for me to pm people on here. With my iPhone it's a pain, so my dear August surgery buddies my email is (Email address removed for users safety)I'm exhausted wish me luck in sleeping.

Another alternative may be a Wedge Pillow which is should be available at a low cost, perhaps at Walmart, or a Medical Supply outlet (which will be more expensive).

Thanks everyone. I am going to the Cleveland clinic in Cleveland. I can't get an earlier date. I don't have a recliner but perhaps a pillow on the kitchen table. I can breathe best leaning forward so I did end up getting some sleep sitting up leaning over five pillows. I started taking more lasix and I'm avoid all sodium today and I've got 16 oz of water measured out for the day. I just took a Valium and will take a nap now, hopefully the Valium isn't stronger than the lasix is you know what I meant. It's hard for me to pm people on here. With my iPhone it's a pain, so my dear August surgery buddies my email is [email protected]. I'm exhausted wish me luck in sleeping.
Have you called them? If not I at least would try. Even when the schedual is full for "elective" heart surgeries, they always can fit in Emergency cases. The thing that often plays a part in the recovery is what kind of shape you are going into the surgery, a couple more weeks if you need surgery now, could make it much tougher. I know for Justin when he was 10 and found out during a cath he needed surgery, he wasn't crashing or dieing, but they bumped someone and got him in the next day because they didn't want him to wait a couple weeks.
Or maybe IF they think you are fine waiting, they can change around the meds you need so you feel better.

Hi Michelle,

I had the exact same situation prior to my second AVR. My CHF made it tough to sleep. I would take a couple of Tynolol PM which would help me sleep and prop myseft up with what I would refer to as "Mount Pillows". But even then it became tough. One thing a consulting nurse suggested that actually worked pretty well was to drink hot tea. That seemed to help quite a bit.

Agree with those who've suggested not waiting to long for surgery. I waited a bit too long for my second surgery and it made the surgery pretty tough due to the condition of my heart prior to surgery.

You've gotten great advice here already. I just want to second that you need to let your cardiologist and surgeon know about your problems. If you get some relief from this by some med and other adjustements, great, but if not, push the system to have them make sure you are OK waiting until the 11th.

I say let your doctors know. Today. Either you can be helped with some meds, or, you may require emergency surgery, or they may want to move the date closer for you. Let them make the decision. Most valve procedures are elective, and emergencies happen, too. Let your doctors decide if this is the case. There no sense in waiting if where you are right now is doing additional damage to your condition. Call your doctors. Now. Please.

You need to call your doctor now. Things can worsen fast, and if you are having enough trouble breathing that sleep is difficult waiting a month is probably too long. Once my son started having symptoms it was just 2 weeks from my first concern to surgery. If they aren't aware that it's worsened though they won't know. You want to be in the best shape possible going into surgery so the sooner the better. I'd probably call the cardiologist first, they can likely make more progress with moving the date than you can, and also check on you.

Becca

The lasix and my avoidance of sodium is serving me well. I lost 5 lbs in the last two days and didn't have a problem breathing when I took my nap today. I don't really think it would be best to move my date up when I'm struggling to quit smoking. I started to quit and it's like two days off of them then I freak out and smoke a pack, quit two days etc. Hopefully since my lungs are in really great shape for a smoker I hope that this doesn't cause problems recovering. I'm going to try chantix next week. I know I should have stopped longer ago but anyone who smokes knows it's easier said than done. I'll keep trying no matter how many setbacks. As everyone here probably knows, who has had months to wait for surgery it is difficult to stay strong all the time. It's hard to keep good spirits in times like these. We try, we try to be strong so our families don't worry, we try to be strong so that we don't sink into depression but I've been waiting since February and it's hard to keep this up.

Latest posts

Back