Treatment on Rheumatic fever

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharad

Dear All,

I have Aortic regurgitation and MItral Stenosis as most of you know. Now I am preparing for valve replacement surgery also. On question is that How long I will have to take medication for Rheumatic fever ,( i.e. Penedura LA 12). Should I take it for lifetime. Are there any side effects of Penedura?
Share your opinions and experiences.

Hello Sharad,

When I had rheumatic fever, back in 1972, I remember that I had to have weekly penicillin injections. In fact, I should have been hospitalized but my mother took such care of me that our family dr at that time said that I'd probably recover better at home.

I remember being in complete bed rest for at least 3 months & then an additional 3 more months just taking it very, very easy at home. I had the penicillin injections that I can remember for at least 6 months.

I had to quit work & go on complete disability because I could not do anything at all. When I first fell ill w/the rheumatic fever, I was so weak that the dr or his nurses, would have to come to our rural home to give me the injections because I was too weak to get up & go anywhere. To tell you the truth, they all thought I was going to die & I know I was very close to dying but here I am still! :)

I'm not familiar with penedura though but I did not have to be on the penicillin for life.

Take care of yourself.

I had RF in 1976 and was in Texas Children's Hospital for about a month. While I was there, I took oral penicillin. After being discharged, I continued to do so until TCH released me to return to school. At that time I went on monthly penicillin injections for about a year or two and then returned to the daily oral stuff when I rebelled at having a knotty butt! This continued through college until my doctor finally labeled me as a lower risk when I wasn't exposed to lots of germs anymore. When I had my first child in 1990, it was recommended that I start again, which I did, until finally the healthcare community decided that there was no benefit to this practice. Now they just say that if I ever have a sore throat, earache, or other type of infection, make sure I get to the doctor within a couple of days for any necessary treatment.

So, my guess is that the only reason you are currently on antibiotics is because either a) the thought in your country is a little different than the thought here or b) your doctor is behind the times. Because of that, it's difficult to say if this practice will continue.

I had rheumatic heart fever in 1970 and was put on penicillin injections of 1000 000 IU every month for a bit over two years and then I discontinued having them without referring to my cardio at that time, which I regretted later!

So, just follow your doctor's instructions and I do not think you will stay on them after your surgery ?!

Good luck.

Hi, I had rheumatic fever as a teen but it was misdiagnosed at the time. It is my understanding that the Penicillin usually stops at some point once adulthood is reached. It is an interesting question though. I only had my mitral valve replaced. It was both regurgitant and stenotic. My other valves all have some degree of rheumatic damage but never once was it suggested to go on Penicillin at this point. I am curious since valve replacement replaces damaged parts but really doesn't "cure" the disease.

I hope all goes well with your surgery and that your recovery is swift and complete.

Joe had RF as a teenager. Penicillin was just starting to be used at that time, but he was one of the unlucky ones. He was put on sulfa drugs instead. He also spent a year in the hospital. He always felt that things would have had a better result if he had been put on penicillin.

As Betty alludes to, RF can sometimes cause problems beyond just valves, it can be pretty damaging.

When were you diagnosed with RF?

Hi!
I was diognosed RH in my childhood in 1990, when I was 10yrs.
at that time I have had Penicillin for above 2 years. After that again in 1997 to 1999 I have had Penicillin for 2 years. Again now started from last 1 year.

Joe had RF as a teenager. Penicillin was just starting to be used at that time, but he was one of the unlucky ones. He was put on sulfa drugs instead. He also spent a year in the hospital. He always felt that things would have had a better result if he had been put on penicillin.

As Betty alludes to, RF can sometimes cause problems beyond just valves, it can be pretty damaging.

When were you diagnosed with RF?

Maybe when you started to have symptoms of valve problems, your doctor put you back on it to try to ward off any infection which would cause further damage, sort of a preventive thing. Why not ask your doctor why this was done?

Hi Sharad,

Penidure LA12(Benzathine Penicillin) is a long acting Penicillin from Wyeth Pharma. It is used in this case basically for Streptococcal/Rheumatic prophilaxi. It is usually given to kids who get rheumatic fever untill they are adults or untill they gain enough resistance to any kind of infections. Since people in India are more prone to Streptococcal infections because of low hygiene in that country, it is advisable to continue to take Penidure LA12 once in two weeks. My cardiac sugion who is from India said this.

Here is what Wyeth web site says. http://www.wyethindia.com/products/penidureprescribe.asp?prodid=11

Although the recurrence rate of rheumatic fever with this regimen is relatively low, the physician may consider administering an injection every 3 weeks for (1) a compliant patient who nonetheless experiences a recurrence on the 4-week regimen, (2) any patient with a history of multiple recurrences (3), patients with severe valvular damage and (4) patients living in areas where the incidence of recurrence of rheumatic fever is high. The physician must weigh the potential benefits of more frequent injections against the possibility of reducing patient compliance with this regimen.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back