What does intubation feel like?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Typically the cath is installed while you are asleep, however on my 2nd trip into the hospital they had to install one while I was awake. That really sucked, nothing else I can say about it.

Taking it out is a non issue.
Someone just needs to read my signature line to know how I feel about re-inserted catheters. :eek:

Now is that supposed to make me less worried? :eek:

I'm not concerned about the pain and discomfort so much as HOW it will feel and how I can cope with the experience. My fear is I'll panic and be uncertain of how to "breathe" correctly. I suspect I'll be too groggy to panic and the nurse will be right there, but just in case, I want to be able to talk myself down. I remember panicking a bit when I had my first TEE because I wasn't used to the oxygen going up my nostrils and I couldn't swallow after the numbing spray, which made me feel like I was choking. Breathing on my own through my nose calmed me down, but I had never read about the choking sensation you can get from not being able to feel yourself swallowing, so I was unprepared. I hate being unprepared. :(

I was the same way. I woke up after the 1st surg. intubated and panicked. I couldnt breathe. So now that you know that, you will know NOT to panic...right?

Having made it through a second intubation less well than the first, even, I have one piece of advice. If you have a strong gag reflex (can't get your toothbrush too far back in your mouth without gagging?), make sure the anaesthesiologist knows this. I had trouble communicating the problem, and a nurse kept saying she was going to give me something for the nausea--and I didn't have any; I was simply gagging.

Be prepared for sore throats through the hospital stay and possibly longer. They gave me a spray-in topical anaesthetic that tasted like sweetened carbolic acid, but it helped. So did ice chips. And remember that the process doesn't take very long, especially if you're not freaked out.

Latest posts

Back