What does intubation feel like?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciated this thread, believe it or not that was one of the things I was most worried about (waking up intubated) Love the Simpson clip, thanks for sharing it made me laugh.

kris

I too was worried about it, but I do not remember it at all. All I remember was how difficult it was to breath after it was out and that is why they give you a spirometer.

I ditto everythng that Bob says. Just relax and go with it. I am a singer at church, weddines and funerals all the time so I did ask for a pediatric size. That way it wouldn't hurt my vocal cords. That's what they used and I did fine. I was just so thankful to make it to the other side of the mountain.

Resperation tube no big deal!

Resperation tube no big deal!

I expected to wake up w/ a huge thing in my throat that I could see looming above my face and filling my throat and suffocating me. When I woke up I could not even see the tube as it was off to the side and then angled down totally out of sight. I had no feeling of it even being in my windpipe. When they took it out I was still out of it so I don't remember that.

I have always come out of anesthesia quicker than anyone expects. I don't know how common this is, but I came to with my hands still free-and in my drugged state thought I needed to pull the thing out of my throat. As you might imagine, that doesn't work.

I had the voice of a nurse in each ear telling me I was in the hospital and needed to let go of the vent. This is odd, but I think I then had the calmest, most concentrated thought in my life-was I going to believe the voices even though it seemed like I couldn't breath? I decided I believed the voices and quit fighting. Somebody turned up some dial and I was under again. When I came to a second time it was gone.

Personally I'd not stress about it. I woke up in critical care, but was in the twilight zone courtesy of the drugs. I have a vague recollection of the vent tube being removed but I was so out of it that I didn't care, and I suspect you'll be the same.

I also remember waking with it in, but have no recollection of actually feeling it. I also very vaguely remember them taking it out (I think I may have pointed to it and gestured it could come out), but I was still pretty out of it at that stage, so again, I don't recall feeling anything. Most of those first few hours are a hazy blur.

people are scared of waking up with the tube in, but frankly, I worry about being able to wake up at all. I was intubated for a couple hour long surgery one time.. i woke up with it in and the nurse asked me how i felt when the anaesthesiologist took it out. I replied "like sh*t". It felt a lot like a plastic tube made of the same stuff milk jugs are made of was scratching my throat. I have to imagine it's not the hardest or most painful part. I was over it quickly.

It's funny how everyone gets so worried about the tube. I didn't even know it was coming with my first surgery when I was 17. I remember waking with it in and struggling against it and the nurse telling me to "breathe" with the tube and I vividly remember doing just that. With my surgery last year, that was the very last of my worries, in fact, I didn't even give it a second thought.

It's funny how everyone gets so worried about the tube. With my surgery last year, that was the very last of my worries, in fact, I didn't even give it a second thought.

Have you ever been intubated while still fully conscience? Of the 20 days I spent in the hospital during AVR it was about my worse 5 minutes while they were cramming that tube down me. And the following 5 days wasn't too funny. :rolleyes:

Dayton,
When they had to re-intubate me, I can actually say I rememberd your experience and thought if you could go thru what you did, I could do it too.

I will never fear a tube again that actually kept me breathing and saved my life. ICU was a rough time and I am so glad to be home even though I don't feel 100%.

Don't worry about the vent tube or the NG tube I quickly realized that if I relaxed and breathed with the vent i was more comfortable and less panicky. If you anesthesia doc is competent you will be asleep when you are intubated so don't stress over this too much.

Lettitia

Have you ever been intubated while still fully conscience? Of the 20 days I spent in the hospital during AVR it was about my worse 5 minutes while they were cramming that tube down me. And the following 5 days wasn't too funny. :rolleyes:

As a matter of fact I have. Not for 5 days, but for almost a whole day. I didn't say it was funny, I just said it wasn't something that people who are presurgery need to spend a lot of time worrying about. And I don't think that I've read of anyone else on here being awake when they "crammed the tube down you". That statement is just going to scare people who are presurgery even more when it is just not something that they are going to experience.

Kim

That statement is just going to scare people who are presurgery even more when it is just not something that they are going to experience.

Kim

If it's an emergency and there is no time to waste to sedate you, they will put it in when it has to be done RIGHT NOW. Otherwise, they will sedate you before attempting it. Docs don't like to fight trying to place the tube correctly in the airway with a patient flailing all around on them.

I can say in every instance, including one emergency, they put me out before tubing me. I've been lucky so far out of the 5 long episodes on intubation and not counting surgical intubations which are probably around 10 or so.

Should people spend time worrying about it. No. Being truthful of things that can happen need to be brought out, scary or not.

Should people spend time worrying about it. No. Being truthful of things that can happen need to be brought out, scary or not.

Ross, Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think I've ever read on here of one other person being awake when they were intubated for this surgery. Do a poll to see.

Kim

Ross, Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think I've ever read on here of one other person being awake when they were intubated for this surgery. Do a poll to see.

Kim

I'm sure it's probably none, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen sometimes. That's all.

I'm glad this question came up, because my memories of intubation in my "past life" were pretty vivid, and extremely unpleasant. (I didn't mind the tubes, the coughing, the spirometer, or anything else.) But the comments on the thread have been pretty reassuring, and I'll probably be a lot more prepared to handle it well this time.

I slightly remember waking up with something in my mouth, it really felt like the size of wrist. When my mind was trying to "wake up" my eyes didn't want to open, this wrist size object was gone.
I didn't experience any coughing at any time during recovery, which was surprising.

I was like Freddie. I woke up with it in and it didn't bother me to have it in. I thought it would have been worse but when they noticed I was fully awake, the tube was only in for a few moments until they took it out.

I am very claustrophobic but the only time I was really bothered by the breathing tube was when they had to suction it out. I have a very strong gag reflex and suctioning made me feel like I was going to heave as well as not being able to breather momentarily. Otherwise the tube was no big deal as long as you try to relax and not fight. I also found breathing through your nose rather than trying to breathe through your mouth made it seem less invasive.

That being said, I was always happy to get it out and any discomfort from it coming out was way overshadowed by the pleasure of the tube getting its new home in the trash. In addition, your first drink after getting the tube out is better than sex (at least for that fleeting moment).;):D;)

Back