What does intubation feel like?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does intubation feel like?

I?ve heard negative and some not-so-negative stories about people?s experiences with the vent tube. But I?m still unclear as to what it actually feels like in your throat. Does it compare with any other experience?

Before AVR, doctors looked in my stomach 3 different times using a Gastroscopy. During AVR they looked in my lungs once due to a collapsed lung ... neither is no match to the ventilator tube.

Are you able to breathe through your nose while the vent tube is in? Can you breathe through your mouth, or does the tube completely block the windpipe and all air must go through it?
Breathing is the purpose of the ventilator... it does it for you.
How difficult is it to swallow?
Very difficult!
Does moving your head from side to side hurt? Can you move your head up and down easily?
You can't do anything easy while on the ventilator!

During my AVR I was put on the ventilator 3 different times, the last time I was fully conscience when they intubated me and was on it 5 days. I guarantee that intubation while conscience is no fun!

Most likely your surgery will be routine. You will be unconsciousness when they cram that tube down you and you will be so druggie when they take it out that you won't remember a thing.

Ross, can tell you more than I can for he was on a ventilator many times longer than me.

I have no recollection of it at all. The first I was aware of was a male voice asking someone why I was still there and thinking to myself "Yep, I woke up then". I was then moved from ICU to the high dependency unit. No memories at all of anything else in ICU.

Most likely you will be so doped up, you won't even think about whether you are breathing on your own or not, etc., etc....

I'm hoping for the same experience. When I came out of slumberland after my TEE a couple weeks ago, I couldn't feel much of anything for several minutes. I'm hoping that give me a stronger dose of that happy juice, or something similar.

You can ask them to give you that happy juice. I told the anesthesioologist I was too anxious and yet oversensitive to pain and medication....and I do NOT REMEMBER/FELT anything about the TEE which was done the morning of my surgery nor the tube when put down or removed!

I didn't have heart surgery, but a couple years ago I had robotic gall bladder removal, I didn't occure to me (stupid me, and YES I ask a million questions is JUSTIN is having surgery, but kind of ignore anything for me) that they would vent me for the surgery, but I woke up and felt something blocking my throat and I tried to take a deep breath, couldn't breath or talk or swallow,and kind of was panicing for a second, THEN I thought, hey this must be a vent so relaxed and went back to sleep. After really woke up, I thought maybe it was a weird dream, so asked if I was on the vent and they told me yes.

It's just not a big deal

It's just not a big deal

I think I was more worried about the breathing tube than anything. You're so drugged, you hardly remember it and they take it out as soon as they're comfortable you can breath on your own. Minor inconvenience at worst.

The best advice I received and used was "If you wake up and are aware of the vent, breathe with it not against it"

I woke up after surgery with the vent tube - I can't say it hurt. It was a little uncomfortable - a full feeling in the throat and a feeling that I wasn't getting enough air but as soon as I remembered to relax and "breathe with it" I was fine.

Soon I was back asleep and when I woke up again, the tube was gone.

Ask your caregiver to remind you to "breathe with it" and all should be well.

I had it in for about 5 days and was slightly awake when I remember them telling me to cough and they took it out and I could feel what felt like a string with ping-pong balls attatched to it come out of my throat...didnt hurt just felt a little weird...if you ever fight the vent and get distressed they just push the drugs button and you are back to la-la land within a second. I fought the vent a lot so they tell me and they frequently had to drug me back up and send me off to la-la land and yet I absolutely do not remember being distressed by the vent at all.
I also had the NG feeding tube for a week or so...I remember the funny tatse of that yellow mixture they fed me...it was almost a vanilla & banana custard type flavour...I dont remember it being awful when they removed it.

When I woke up from surgery I was so drugged I thought the tube was neat. Do not worry.This is not big deal.

You can't swallow. Your entire windpipe is full of plastic blocking it off.

Oh yeah, to help with removal if you should be awake enough to know, be sure to strongly exhale as they pull it out. This will help expand your larynx and throat which will keep sore throats and such to a minimum.

This is the best advice I can think of for somebody who finds him or herself awake before and during extubation. For me, after bypass surgery, this was the absolute worst part. I kept feeling like I was suffocating, and as saliva collected around the tube, the bloody "she's in trouble" beeper kept going off and somebody would come over and suction the spit away (lovely image, I know). Fortunately I was awake enough for them to tell me I wasn't dying, but it was a good hour or so before they finally took it out--and now I do remember the "cough" command. But nobody told me anything about trying to breath with the machine rather than being spooked and fighting it.

Needless to say, I remember this part of the experience more than anything else--so being so drugged as to not remember it isn't a universal experience, although it sounds like a much better one!

Between now and AVR I'm going to be chanting the mantra "exhale strongly" over and over again until it's a reflex.

Don't mean to spook you, Bill, but you do sound like the kind of guy who likes to know what the possibilities are. If I have the option this time, I'm going to ask 'em to take it out before I'm conscious enough to know what's going on--or at least let them know what a crappy experience I had last time so someone knows to help mitigate it.

I woke up with the vent. I remember thinking, " Surgery is over! I made it.!!!"
Then I realized I was still on the vent. With my allergies, I has to be succuctioned every once in a while. I was on the vent a while. My hands were tied... I remember thinking, " Okay... I can go back to sleep... can"t pull anything out,...' LOL
Honestly, I was scared to death about this surgery BUT the vent was NOT was I should have been worried about.
Please do not worry about the vent... it is such a minor thing. After all it keeps you alive for all the time though surgery... You will be just fine.

I also remember waking up with the tube in. I was dreading it just as you... I also am a person that likes to know and be prepared. I'm so glad I had found this place and read the experience of others so I knew what to expect if I was "awake" with it. I remember my family coming in and I tried to write to them with my fingers and I wanted them to take it out. I also tried to convince the nurse to take it out "now" she kept telling me i wasn't ready yet and if she pulled it too soon she would have to put it back in, i kept thinking and letting her know "i don't care", i just want it out and tried to write that out or speak it to her.. Of course she had to wait until I was ready, I just thought of what i needed to do and prayed that it would come out soon, i didnt try to yank it out even though I wanted to, i just took breaths and kept praying and then bam she took it out. By the time my husband came in for next visit it was gone!!! Yes, the best feeling ever was it coming out but just try and have you head right that you do need it and keep calm, it will be out.... Hopefully you won't remember like so many others..........

Bill,

I am two weeks post op and I will say the intubation was my biggest fear. I can tell you I remember nothing about it. I was even re-intubated because I had trouble breathing after they took it out. I remember nothing about either intubation.

Focus your energy on surgery, healing, and feeling better. Don't sweat the breathing tube, because it is in and out before you know it. The drugs take care of the tube.

Please do not worry....and take this from someone who was terrified of the tube.

I had my surgery in 2001 and I can tell you about my experiences, which wasn't too terrible.

I was pretty doped out when I came to with the ventilator in my throat. I was aware enough to know what was going on, and I remember signaling to the nurse nearby that I was starting to wake up. I felt nauseous, not sure if it was because of being out for almost 10 hours, but I motioned towards my stomach and then out my mouth to let them know I felt like I was going to be sick. Eventually they pulled the tube out and I was sick in a small container. Then I was back out like a light bulb.

It wasn't all that uncomfortable, and was out pretty much in a flash. I doubt I even would have remembered it, if my brain wasn't in survival mode. There will be someone nearby, and they know what to do so don't be too worried about it. I also remember the catheter removal of my neck and down stairs. Both were taken out quick, and although it felt a bit...odd there was no pain.

Chest tubes were slightly annoying, especially as they start walking you the day after surgery, but those also came out quick and painless a few days after surgery.

I'd have to say that the only problems I had were having to go back into the hospital shortly after I was released for water retention, that was a terrible experience but a somewhat rare side-effect. They also put me on an anti-inflammatory that is supposed to have zero side effects, and it made me paranoid and hallucinated.

So obviously the process is very intrusive and some discomfort, but I wouldn't be here typing today if I hadn't gone through the process.

likely you will be asleep through it all. I woke only once and looked up to see my dear son's eyes staring into mine. I was only glad to see him through his/my tears but unaware of the throat thing. when awake fully, it was gone.

OK, here are my vague rememberances of the vent tube. Woke up after surgery in ICU. Husband by my bed. Told me vent tube was still in. I gave thumbs up although I couldn't feel anything really. Tried to tell him I was thirsty, but then right back to lala land. Sometime later in my haze, nurse said we are taking the vent tube out give me a big cough, I gave a cough, vent tube out. Back to sleep, woke up again, hubby there again, asked for ice chips (still thirsty) given few ice chips, promptly threw up (I won't go into more detail) sufice to say I made it. You will be fine. I will suspect that won't remember most of this part of the recovery.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions and reassurances. I?m sure it will also help others prepare themselves mentally for the experience.

I have some idea of what the tube will feel like. I?ll try to relax and breathe with the ventilator. I?ll try not to think too much of breathing in general because I expect that thinking about it is more likely to cause worry, which will increase my need for oxygen, and, well, make me want to breathe faster. I?ll try to go back to sleep if I feel distressed. And I?ll be ready to exhale/cough when they pull it out if I?m awake.

Sounds like a plan. I feel a lot more prepared and ready to start the adventure.

If anyone else has memories of the experience, please share. Thanks again!

You can write and you can give people the US Hand Signal for Obscene Contempt while intubated, and that covers a surprising number of the needs you may have at that time.

Make sure you have someone there with paper and pen or multiple pencils. They should not leave them while you are unconscious, because the nurse may remove them. The inability to communicate can be frustrating otherwise.

I was awake for quite some time while intubated. They had left it in because I kept passing out from remnants of the anesthesia, and apparently wasn't bothering to breathe during those times. They thought that that oversight by my body might prove to have a detrimental effect, and thus kept me on the ventilator.

However, I was so delighted to have awakened ("I'm alive!") that I let that one positive thought drown out much of everything else. It doesn't hurt to take that in. It's your awakening to the gift of a second chance at this life.

The tube is your friend. It breathed for you, when you could not.

I have an extremely strong gag reflex, and I never gagged on it or felt like it was in a "wrong" place in my throat. It's a very Churchill thing: you have nothing to fear but fear itself. People sometimes panic, because they can't breathe against the machine. However, there's no need to. That machine has been breathing for you for at least three or four hours by the point you are awake, and often for six or more.

Its function is to make certain that you have enough oxygen, and its success at that is constantly being monitored, as you are continuously measured for oxygenation during and after surgery. There is no reason at all for you to suddenly become afraid. After all, you know exactly what it is, and you also know it's kept you alive without any help from you for the last half day or so. A little late to decide you don't want to trust it at this point.

Unfortunately, not all of the machines make any real noise, so you can't necessarily time your breathing to it, as some folks suggest.

I didn't fight mine. I took a vacation and didn't bother to breathe. It was a truly neat thing. You will never be relieved of the duty of breathing for yourself at even the plushest resort you may visit during the rest of your lifetime. At this one time, your entire oxygen needs are fully tended to by the equipment. The ultimate spa.

The tube doesn't hurt, if you're not in it for days and days. It's somewhat restrictive to your head and other movements, but you're not particularly mnotivated to move anyway, as you're drugged. You can't throw up with it, as pretty much everything's blocked. I didn't need to anyway, but I thought I'd mention it, as someone in the past had mentioned trying to, I believe.

People tend to perseverate on this item, and they shouldn't. For the vast majority of people, it will turn out to have been a very minor moment in the scheme of things.

I will say this: do not become physically vehement about its removal. Hospital employees are trained to restrain your hands, if there is concern that you will try to remove it yourself, or if you become unruly in a semi-conscious state. It does seem that most people have it removed while they are still mostly unconscious. If, like me, you have it removed after being fully consciuos and cognizant, be cooperative and patient. Nothing will delay the removal of the tube with more certainty than you insisting that it be done immediately.

Best wishes,

Quoting tobagotwo "I didn't fight mine. I took a vacation and didn't bother to breathe. It was a truly neat thing. You will never be relieved of the duty of breathing for yourself at even the plushest resort you may visit during the rest of your lifetime. At this one time, your entire oxygen needs are fully tended to by the equipment. The ultimate spa."

This reminds me of a Simpsons episode. For some reason Homer was staying in a nursing home and was quite happy he didn't have to do much, then he noticed the guy in the other bed had a vent breathing for him. So Homer threw a fit, because why did HE have to breath on his own when other people had a machine that did that for him, he said "and here I am using my own lungs like a fool"

also "The tube doesn't hurt, if you're not in it for days and days. It's somewhat restrictive to your head and other movements, but you're not particularly mnotivated to move anyway, as you're drugged. You can't throw up with it, as pretty much everything's blocked. I didn't need to anyway, but I thought I'd mention it, as someone in the past had mentioned trying to, I believe."

Actually you can, Justin has and I believe others here have too. He was letting us know he had to throw up and the nurses said , don't worry you can't throw up it just feels like it and the next thing we know Justin was, it was quite a mess to clean up.

I have no memory of being intubated. I was still out of it when it was removed.

Chris

This reminds me of Simpsons episode. For some reason Homer was staying in a nursing home and was quite happy he didn't have to do much, then he noticed the guy in the other bed had a vent breathing for him. So Homer threw a fit, because why did HE have to breath on his own when other people had a machine that did that for him, he said "and here I am using my own lungs like a fool"

Here you go. Don't watch if it hurts to laugh:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/31500/the-simpsons-bed-sores#x-4,vclip,23

Back