On-X LTI 15 Years of Clinical Excellence On-X LTI 15 Years of Clinical Excellence

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Welcome to the New VR.org!

Thank you for your patience while we continue to fine tune the site. All paid registrations will be extended for whatever duration of time it takes us to get things working properly.
See more
See less

Best Day of the Week for Surgery

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine was Tuesday.
    I would be more concerned about being in the first of the day, than the day of the week.

I'm still amazed at the people only spending 5, 6 or 7 days in the hospital for valve surgery.
    But most were doing that 17.5 years ago but it took me 20 days.
    Dayton

AVR, 6/91, 23 mm St Jude Mechanical, age 56, Texas Heart Institute.
    Home testing and dosing 2/09

Comment

Sounds like lots of us had Tuesday, and that would be my choice. I would not prefer Monday because I know how I feel at work on Monday, even if I haven't been on a binge! I would never want Friday, again because that's the day I'm the most unwilling to give 100%! Some hospitals have more "contract staff" on the weekends, so the nurses don't always know the hospital procedures or the doctors and are more fearful of bothering them at home, so I would want my surgery earlier in the week.

Anyway, I had surgery on Tuesday, June 30, and was discharged on Monday, July 6. I was there over a holiday, but it was on a Saturday and I was about to be discharged, so it was no big deal. I could have been discharged on Sunday, but chose to come home on Monday so my kids would be at daycare and I could rest for a while before they came home.

I would never recommend the time between Christmas and New Year's. I had a baby on December 29 (16 years ago) and had to deal with lots of contract staff.

Comment

Originally posted by olefin View Post
        Mine was Tuesday.
        I would be more concerned about being in the first of the day, than the day of the week.

I'm still amazed at the people only spending 5, 6 or 7 days in the hospital for valve surgery.
        But most were doing that 17.5 years ago but it took me 20 days.
        My surgeon asked me to choose Tuesday. He said it was his "best" day and also, as Olefin has said, first surgery of the day!!

I would have been released that Saturday as the heart stuff was fine, but I had had to deal with a urinary tract infection so they wouldn't release me until Sunday morning.

Ask your surgeon which day he prefers. Mine volunteered it!! They're human, they have their favorite work days!

Good luck!

Marguerite
        AVR 4/18/06, age 52. Bovine tissue. CE Perimount RSR Model 2800. 23 mm. BAV diagnosed age 27(1981). Moderate stenosis (1.0 cm) 9/03; severe stenosis (.7cm) 12/05, Aortic measure at surgery 4/06, critical (.53 cm)

Comment

I had mine on a Thursday and was the only surgery my surgeon had scheduled that day. I was in ICU until late Saturday and then had the best nurse of my whole stay on Sunday. I would be ok with anything mid-week.

Kim
          #1 OHS 1980 Wolfe Parkinson White, Duke, Dr Sealy.
          #2 4/08 Tricuspid Replacement (31mm St. Judes Biocor), ASD closure with Bovine Patch, modified right sided Maze Procedure, Mayo clinic

Comment

My friend did research on his surgeon and found that Tuesday PM was the best as far as stats were concerned. I wondered if the PM surgery was less complicated to allow for the fatigue factor...thus the stats would be skewed as the outcome would be a result of the less complicated procedures and healthier patients.....just a thought. I'm still waiting for a date and would prefer Tuesday....we'll see.
            Jennifer

Proverbs 3:5a Trust in the Lord with all your heart..

Minimal invasive mitral valve repair
            Cleveland Clinic Dr. Marc Gillinov
            May 26, 2009 at age 62
            Right thoracotomy
            Cosgrove-Edwards annuloplasty band

Comment

Originally posted by ponytaila1a View Post
              My friend did research on his surgeon and found that Tuesday PM was the best as far as stats were concerned. I wondered if the PM surgery was less complicated to allow for the fatigue factor...thus the stats would be skewed as the outcome would be a result of the less complicated procedures and healthier patients.....just a thought. I'm still waiting for a date and would prefer Tuesday....we'll see.
              I'm sure many of us would like to know...

HOW did your friend get the stats on his surgeon?

'AL Capshaw'

Comment

I had mine on Friday just after lunch - 1:30 and out by 5:00, so my surgeon was still able to be home for supper
                Laughter is the Best Medicine
                MVR March 30/07 Carbomedics Valve - Said and done in 5 days in Canada

Comment

I had mine on Thursday and was fine with that. First surgery of the day so that was a really good thing, as far as I as concerned. My surgeon and his partner were in 2-3 times on Friday and 2 times on Saturday and Sunday, so I did not have to worry about that. Came home the following Thursday and had no issues over the first weekend. But, since I was in Dayton Heart Hospital (they deal with ONLY heart patients), there was not a step down unit, every patient had their own ICU room that we stayed in the entire time we were there, unless you had other issues or they needed the ICU room for another patient. Most of us never went to another room our entire stay, so that was really nice. Our nurses worked 12 hour shifts and I had the same set of nurses (a total of 4), the entire time I stayed there. My girlfriend had OHS in October 2008 and she also stayed in the same room (at a different hospital) her entire stay, 15 days due to other issues including having to have her gallbladder out the day after she was supposed to go home!
                  Diana :)
                  AVR and Tricuspid Repair, May 2008
                  Dayton Heart Hospital, Dr. John Miller, Surgeon
                  Still have Mitral Valve Prolapse/Regurgitation
                  On Coumadin and self testing! Yippee!!!

Comment

Try to avoid anything close to a weekend or holiday. The hospitals are understaffed, your surgeon is more likely to take off right after your surgery for a trip or something, and also there are many fill in nurses on those days.

Comment

Ya know, sometimes this forum is just no good for me! I'm scheduled on a Monday which I was excited about ... surgeon there all week. Hadn't even thought about weekend and festivities the staff may have. Mine is March 16. Day before St Patty's Day, but everyone knows that you celebrate it the weekend before. Ugh. I'm signing off.
                      Valve Sparing Ascending Aortic Aneurysm Repair
                      March 16, 2009 at Age 37
                      Northwestern, Chicago, Dr Malaisrie

Comment

Originally posted by ccummins View Post
                        Ya know, sometimes this forum is just no good for me! I'm scheduled on a Monday which I was excited about ... surgeon there all week. Hadn't even thought about weekend and festivities the staff may have. Mine is March 16. Day before St Patty's Day, but everyone knows that you celebrate it the weekend before. Ugh. I'm signing off.
                        I wouldn't worry about St Patty's Day. The holidays I think about are ones when alot of staff is off.
                        Lyn
                        Mom to Justin 25 TGA,VSDs, pulmonary atresia/stenosis ect, post/Rastelli, 5 OHS, pacer in and out ... and surgery w/muscle flap for post op infection (sternal osteomyelitis with mediastinitis) [url]www.caringbridge.org/nj/justinw[/url]

Comment

Well, my surgery is on a Tuesday and is the first one scheduled for the day so that is all good

BTW: I totally agree with those saying not to get anything done before a holiday. I had an angiogram a year ago on the day before Melbourne Cup Day and it was chaos as they were trying to rush all the emergencies through as well. It was scheduled for 1pm and didn't get done till 8.30pm and the staff looked so tired I nearly ran for it :D
                          [I]
                          St Jude MVR March 17th 2009

[/I]

"Whatever awaits you around the corner - God is already there."

Comment

Originally posted by ALCapshaw2 View Post
                            I'm sure many of us would like to know...

HOW did your friend get the stats on his surgeon?

'AL Capshaw'
                            He did not give me the details. He (my friend) is quite wealthy and owns a franchise for temp services. Somehow he learned that a guy was working for him (at a client site) who was studying medicine. He hired the guy at $15 per hour to do all of the research. The surgeon who was doing the surgery does not usually meet with patients other than the day before surgery. My friend offered to pay whatever he wanted for an appointment and the surgeon agreed (all according to my friend) When he pulled out the stats the surgeon was shocked and said he would schedule him for the PM on Tuesday. All hear-say...but the story fits with my friend's personality, I believe him.
                            Jennifer

Proverbs 3:5a Trust in the Lord with all your heart..

Minimal invasive mitral valve repair
                            Cleveland Clinic Dr. Marc Gillinov
                            May 26, 2009 at age 62
                            Right thoracotomy
                            Cosgrove-Edwards annuloplasty band

Comment

Originally posted by TakeStock View Post
                              which day would be ideal?
                              Saturday or Sunday!!! :D :p
                              Best Regards,
                              N Jean (New Mexico)

May/1975: AVR & MVR Double-Valves (Cooley-Cutter Mechanicals)
                              Dec/1975: MV Repair -- Re-suture Mitral Mech. Valve (Dr. Denton Cooley)
                              Mar/2006: AVR -- Old Valve Replaced w/St. Jude Mechanical (Dr. Reul)

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."
                              - Marie Curie

Comment

Seriously, I wish you the best whichever day you choose to have your surgery!
                                Best Regards,
                                N Jean (New Mexico)

May/1975: AVR & MVR Double-Valves (Cooley-Cutter Mechanicals)
                                Dec/1975: MV Repair -- Re-suture Mitral Mech. Valve (Dr. Denton Cooley)
                                Mar/2006: AVR -- Old Valve Replaced w/St. Jude Mechanical (Dr. Reul)

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."
                                - Marie Curie

Comment

Working...
                                X