What type of testing is done pre-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jkn2kids

I'm trying to find out what type of pre-op tests are done before OHS.I don't remember if my surgeon mentioned it or not so I'm trying to see what others have had done before surgery.

For me...

For me...

If you're talking about the day before surgery, I had the following work done:

Chest X-Rays
EKG
Blood Work (I believe this was primarily for an AIDS test and blood typing)

I also met with the anesthesia team and got my financial clearance. Overall, it took me about three hours of wandering to different offices around the hospital.

If you haven't had a cath yet, that will probably be done sometime before your surgery. Some surgeons do the cath immediately before surgery, some like to have the results ahead of time.

I remember a lot of blood being taken, chest x-ray, EKG, urine test and blood gas test (which was not very pleasant as it involves a needle in the wrist).:eek: :eek: You will probably have an echo during pre-op as well. I had a lung function test before one of my surgeries but I can't remember which one.

There may have been other tests but I do not recall any more.

You will also probably get a tour of the OH recovery area.

Pre-op Tests

Pre-op Tests

I have my pre-op tomorrow. I am looking at my appointment paper. Here is my schedule:

--vascular lab- they will do an ultra sound of carotid arteries(in the neck) But I am older and have another blockage
--Lab work( Blood work)
--chest X-ray
-- EKG
-- Talking with surgeon
--Pre-op clearance
-- Surgery registration
I am not sure if pre-op is the same everywhere.
Good luck with your surgery.

Justin never had to have blood gasses preop, and I'm really glad, I've had a few and they hurt.
he usually just has the regular blood work (cbc, chemistry, type and cross)
EKG and Chest xray. and I think maybe urine, Lyn

*hair stands on end*

If the hospital "suggests" a visit to the business office (aka payment plans) RESIST it.

Why?

Because chances are the hospital will not get all of its bills into your insurance company before the independent departments (i.e. anesthesia, etc.). I was "forced" into signing an agreement on how I was going to pay for the surgery the day of my pre-op stuff. I found out later how dumb that was ... because the hospital didn't get all of my deductible anyway....

*sighs*

I had a devil of a time trying to fix it ... but finally did.

Ssssooo...lesson: Don't agree to a payment plan until AFTER all bills have been submitted and handled by your insurance company.....

HTH.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/quilt.html
"Time will heal the pain" ... Exile ... 'Even Now'

Re: blood gas test. I refused one unless I could have anesthetic (local). Caused quite a commotion (I was in-patient at the time). The cardiologist did it. Glad I insisted - the only place they could get it was in the femoral artery. :eek: I had about three different numb spots where they couldn't find the artery.

I would also add that you need dental clearance. If you;ve suffered from any TIA's, you might have an MRI of the brain....Marybeth

Thank you for your responses!!! They told me it would take 4 hrs for pre-op so I was wondering what type of tests they were going to do.Why is the blood gas test done?

An arterial blood gas (ABG) test measures the levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood to determine how well your lungs are working. It evaluates the ability of your lungs to move oxygen into the blood and to remove carbon dioxide from the blood.
It may also be used to monitor treatment for problems that affect breathing. Evaluate your need for extra oxygen or help with breathing (mechanical ventilation).

I did not have a blood gas prior to surgery. They do the pulse oximetry ( clip on finger)during preop.
BP, wt, height, blood work, chest x-ray, preop education, met with anesthesiologist.
It took several hours for me because at University they have a protocol with several stops on the first floor cardiac preop area. There may be a wait between your labs, x-ray, etc.
They did blood and urine the am of the surgery as well. Nothing terrible either day. Just that the wheels turn slowly.
Jo

I had the usual lab work EKG, echo, and so forth for my AVR. Because of my chest deformity, I also had a pulmonary function test. I dreaded the blood gas test for AVR. I can still vivdly remember the pain from the 2 I had in 82 for my chest surgery. However, for my AVR, UAB put in an arterial line to take the gases. That made the test painless. Good thing since it was taken a few times after surgery as well.

Karl

I saw my cardiologists yesterday, January 13th, and he said I now have severe stenonis that requires operation. He told me that both my blood and mouth will be checked for bacteria and viruses before OHS can be given the green light. Admittedly, I was a little suprised by the mouth thingy. Has anyone had his/her mouth checked prior to surgery?

Cordially,

Dustin.

Dustin said:
I saw my cardiologists yesterday, January 13th, and he said I now have severe stenonis that requires operation. He told me that both my blood and mouth will be checked for bacteria and viruses before OHS can be given the green light. Admittedly, I was a little suprised by the mouth thingy. Has anyone had his/her mouth checked prior to surgery?

Cordially,

Dustin.
You know, I didn't think about the dental thing because I was trying to remember "tests" and that doesn't come to mind as a test. Yes, I had to have dental clearance before each of my surgeries. The first and third were done by my own dentist. The second time I was already in the hospital when they decided to do surgery so they had a dentist check things there. They just want to make sure you don't have any open areas for bactiera (like cavities, swollen gums, etcl) which can travel straight into your bloodstream and thus cause problems.

Pre-op

Pre-op

Like Praline, I just completed my pre-op yesterday. Mine consisted of all the usual business & disclosure stuff and the testing consisted of the following:
1. Complete blood count-wbc & rbc counts, hemoglobin & hematocrit
2. Chemistry blood test-glucose & electrolyte levels & liver kidney function
3. Protime & prothromboplastin test-clotting time
4. Urinalysis-kidney status
5. Blood bank test-identifies blood type & puts hold on blood in lab 4 you if needed
6. Electrocardiogram
7. Chest X-ray

My surgeon mentioned a dental clearance letter in my initial visit but nothing has been said since, I have one just in case.

I have not had a cardiac cath yet but my surgeon prefers this be done at least a week before surgery. In my case, I either will not have one or it will have to be done almost immediately before surgery. I was recommended by some to try and substitute a coronary CTA but apparently, my surgeon does not like to use these...5 days till my official cristening into the zipper chest club. tick tock tick tock

from the waiting room
Deane

Just came back from the hospital, my wisdom teeth must be removed before AVR, so add this to the list of possible pre-op tests and procedures.

Latest posts

Back