what to take to the hospital - a checklist

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensylee

ok, this is just a suggestion. Why not start a checklist just for things to take to the hospital and then when someone asks, all we have to do is refer them to this thread?

1. loose clothes to wear home

2. loose sleep bra, loose exercise bra for buxom beauties (nurses in hospital told me to get some)

3. slippers

4. toiletries - toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, comb/brush, lipstick (for ladies only :p )

5. shortie pj bottoms or underwear to cover your particular self when you 'walk the halls', as walking is demanded by staff. You shoulda seen all those bare bottoms when we walked. Nobody much cared about our behinds, including us. We were trying too hard to stand up straight.

next?

if you are taking a laptop make sure you take both wires(long) for phone hook up or wires for computer hook up

lipbalm for those dried out lips

notebook to keep track of everything and pens
thank you notes so you can fill them out when you are bored

word search or other puzzle books that don't need lots of thought

find out if rooms have dvd players or videotapes and take movies

small coughing or hug pillow
some people like earplugs for when they try to sleep

and next is...?

FOOD! They have good food at the UW, but I didn't eat it because I just wanted some food with spices, and they just don't add them. They told me I could have them, they just wouldn't give me any.

to #9 on GEEBEE's list I would think 20-25 dollars would be a good amount.

My husband happened to be with me when an announcement came over the PA system that the hairdresser was there if anyone wanted to have their hair done. I think I would have won a game show I pushed the call button so fast! It was all done while I was in bed with their portable equipment and then he blew dry my hair. After being so sweaty and feeling so grubby having my hair done felt absolutely wonderful. If my husband wasn't there I wouldn't have had enough money on me.

I remember when a massuese came into my room and said I could have a massage for "free" meaning it went in the hospital bill. My insurance company paid for it. I do remember it felt good to get to have a shower for the first time!

I was lucky, I had my own private room at the UW, they let me SLEEP! I never heard any accidents, the UWmedical center is too far away from the highway. I had a great experience there.

Something to add to the list

Something to add to the list

Your own pillow from home. Not only is it probably better than the hospital pillow, there's something comforting about having it (maybe like a stuffed animal when you were a kid! LOL). You can bring your own pillowcase or just use the hospitals. Plus then you have a pillow for the car ride home.

Treats for the nurses are also nice (although see if they are worth it before you bring them!) Being a nurse I know how much we appreciate candy, etc. We've had patient's families bring fruit, donuts, sandwiches, home made stuff (always the best). It's nice to know you're appreciated. One ladies parents carried two cheesecakes all the way from Albuquerque on the plane (there is some famous place there for cheesecake!). But our families are with us for alot longer too, sometimes for months, so we all know each other pretty well.

Carolyn

Our daughter used her toothbrush and slippers and that was about all. If you have long hair, take something to "tie" it up -- it will get less tangled if it is up. Our daughter didn't feel like reading/listening to music. I bought magazines and energy "bars" for her -- but those were not touched.

Mom only used her slippers and toiletries as well. She also had trouble concentrating, so books/puzzles were out of the question, as was music. She opted for hospital gowns with the pockets for the heart monitors, one open in front, one in back for coverage while walking the halls. (Though apparently some prefer to moon everyone on the floor.)
Shampoo would've been nice... what the hospital had was horrible.

how did you choose Cedars ?

how did you choose Cedars ?

just curious ? how did you make the choice for Los Angeles when UNC and DUMC are close at hand and even the Cleveland Clinic and NYU are closer ?

Or did u go for the sunshine ?

joy said:
I remember when a massuese came into my room and said I could have a massage for "free" meaning it went in the hospital bill. My insurance company paid for it. I do remember it felt good to get to have a shower for the first time!

Dang! No masseuse came to my room offering "free" massages! I protest. :D

I just had my surgery last week and I am wishing I would have bought some v-neck t-shirts to wear while my incision heals. I just ordered a couple yesterday, but I wish I would have thought of it before.

So, my addition is: v-neck t-shirts!

The hospital where I had my surgery offered massages (pay as you go) but I never asked for one. The soap & shampoo were great! They also had a pet therapy program but I forgot to ask them to visit... if I had remembered maybe doggie treats would be a good thing to have on hand:D

Cris

Hensylee, I kept thinking how I'd use a bra...

Hensylee, I kept thinking how I'd use a bra...

hensylee said:
ok, this is just a suggestion. Why not start a checklist just for things to take to the hospital and then when someone asks, all we have to do is refer them to this thread?

1. loose clothes to wear home

2. loose sleep bra, loose exercise bra for buxom beauties (nurses in hospital told me to get some)

3. slippers

4. toiletries - toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, comb/brush, lipstick (for ladies only :p )

5. shortie pj bottoms or underwear to cover your particular self when you 'walk the halls', as walking is demanded by staff. You shoulda seen all those bare bottoms when we walked. Nobody much cared about our behinds, including us. We were trying too hard to stand up straight.

next?

...and kept drawing a blank. :D

But I'd add two things:

1) an iPod

2) ear plugs when you're not listening to an iPod.

I don't know if it was just me, but I was exquisitely sensitive to the noise outside my window (construction was going on across the street) -- I remember thinking "this must be what it's like to be on the tarmac at JFK 24/7!"

Nurses suggested our daughter put her long hair up as it would not mat as much. Fortunately, the nurses had appropriate "rubber" bands.

The only things our daughter used
toothbrush and toothpaste
slippers

What you must bring!

What you must bring!

I would agree with most folks that you end up bringing more then you need. you will not likely want to read so dont bother with books or magazines. Here would be my must have before i went back in for surgery:

1) earplugs for the recovery room - its so loud - hard enough to sleep as is - with the noise impossible
2) iPod - or mini music player - see above - also more relaxing less taxing then watching TV
3) a number of pairs of pajamas - I had really bad sweating issues post the surgery - which is apparently normal - but means you need to change oftern to keep from laying in sweaty clothes
4) lip balm - toothbrush - anti itch lotion mosturizing cream

UK again - plenty of nightgowns and knickers, several changes of normal clothes and some 'sensible' shoes, I had to dress after the first few days and was encouraged to walk outside in the hospital grounds. Some notelets or writing paper, envelopes and stamps to write thank you notes to senders of flowers and gifts.

I felt so lousy while I was in the hospital that I don't think I used hardly anything that I had brought.

I kept my long hair up with a scrunchie in a volcanic explosion of a mess, but at least it was out of my way and tamed a bit. I wish someone had come by to wash my hair... I didn't think to ask a nurse to help me with that. That was one of the most unpleasant things, I think, not showering for a week. UGH! If and when there is a next OHS for me, I'm cutting the hair first. Lots of it fell out anyway and had to grow back in, so why not make things easier from the start?!

I brought flip-flops, and left them next to my bed so as I climbed in and out, my feet went right into them and I didn't have to drag as many extra germs back into the bed with me from the soles of my feet.

The BEST THING I brought along was my husband. I tried not to ask the nurses for anything I didn't absolutely need and I tried to always ask pleasantly so as not to be a crabby patient, but if the nurses didn't get right on it, my hubbie slayed my dragons; what a sweetheart. They brought a cot and sheets and such in for him every night (private room) and that was extremely helpful. But that's what I would recommend most: If you can, bring a loving and patient and competent relative or friend who is committed to helping you and who may be able to stay with you.

My husband also brought along a laptop and rented some DVDs from a nearby place but I couldn't concentrate on the stories.

Latest posts

Back