Seeking help of duration of mitral valve replacement recovery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

My husband had mitral valve replacement surgery on 2/5/18. Today is 5/29/18. He is still experiencing frequent fatigue and becomes short of breath easily. All the tests indicate everything is going well. By far the worst part of his experience is depression from feeling he is not recovering at a decent pace. Can anyone share a story or two about their own recovery that could help him to understand that recovery takes longer for some individuals? Thanks.

Depression is indeed one of the big issues.
  • How old is he ?
  • What levels of fitness did he have before the surgery? (recovery is first about recovery from the surgery then about the usual recovery from being unfit and weakened)
  • can you describe the fatigue?
  • what's his resting HR?
My personal recovery was slower on my third OHS than my second (at 28 years old and then 48 years old). I felt that it took at least 3 months before I was "more myself", which is unlike what happened at 28

I did however rigourously do my walks (as directed) and used a heart rate monitor (chest band and watch) to keep a track of my progress.

Best Wishes

I experienced a bout of pancreatitis during recovery from my second surgery that just kicked my tail. Couldn’t eat. Motion sickness, like “pull the car over now” kind. That passed. Then I decided to pick up an infection in my lymphatic system. Mycobacterium Marinum. Assuming my taxed immune system made me more susceptible. It was close to a solid year after my second surgery before I felt like myself again. But I was 37.

As a senior in High School for my first, I was anchoring our classes tug of war team three months out. Good to be young.

Even when depression has a "good cause" such as heart health issues, it can still be effectively treated. And better mood will help with the physical healing and quality of life. Therapy or meds can be great tools, as well as self-care practices related to mood management. It seems that depression after heart surgery is very common. You may have a role to play in helping your husband explore options to try.

I felt the same way during my recovery. Others were posting about all the "normal" things they had resumed doing, and I was still tired, weak, months after my Sept. 2015 surgery. When I posted about it (as you have done), readers rushed to assure me that I could not measure my progress against that of others. That assurance helped my mental outlook tremendously, and went easy on myself from that point forward.

That said, my recovery was very gradual. Although I returned to work at 8 weeks, I'd guess it was at least six months (probably longer) before I felt somewhat back to normal. I was 61 at time of surgery, and very out-of-shape. I had 12 weeks of cardiac rehab and that helped somewhat.

I think in my case, I feared doing too much, worrying that I would tear something, pull something, break something. I was NOT fragile but I felt as if I were. Part of the problem was that I live alone with few close friends so I dwelt on my condition more than was mentally healthy. Coming to this web site really helped me retain perspective.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
Michele

I had mitral valve replacement in 2012 at 55 years old and it took around 4 months to start to feel normal. I was physically fit, runner all my life. I lost 2 pints of blood during surgery and that took 2 months to recover from. That caused fatigue until my body could regenerate the blood. By week 2 or 3 after surgery I walked for an hour every day. If I don't exercise I can tell a difference. Half way through my Rehab I started to run on the treadmill. That was probably around 4 months post-op. I think exercise and rest are key to recovery and exercise will be a lifestyle now.

I had mitral valve replacement in 2012 at 55 years old and it took around 4 months to start to feel normal. I was physically fit, runner all my life. I lost 2 pints of blood during surgery and that took 2 months to recover from. That caused fatigue until my body could regenerate the blood. By week 2 or 3 after surgery I walked for an hour every day. If I don't exercise I can tell a difference. Half way through my Rehab I started to run on the treadmill. That was probably around 4 months post-op. I think exercise and rest are key to recovery and exercise will be a lifestyle now.

Michelle Honey Bunny,
I felt the same after my mitral valve replacement and double bipass last September. Tired, depressed, angry.very angry. No one to help me, at all, except at the start of recovery. Too depressed and tired to do cardiac rehab--treadmill, etc. Very out of shape and constantly worrying. I feel better now. My fatigue is partly mental-- I am tired of being nagged about exercise.
if you find somewhere you really want to walk, run or see, you will probably find the energy for that. If you are bored, as I am, your fatigue increases.

Latest posts

Back