Weird feelings

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zee112

So I had my second heart op back in 2016 to replace my RV-PA conduit, my pulmonary valve with a homograft and my aortic valve with a mehanical carbomedics aortic valve.

I've been fine since then apart from having these weird mental moments where I experience dejavu/weird 'oh I've dreamt that moment' then it leaves me feeling weird for 20-30 mins then I'm back to normal.

I've read up on a phenomena called 'pump head' but I'm not sure if that is it.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before with their first or repeat ohs?

Thank you

We'Ve all had those Zee. 'I think I saw that in a dream... I feel like I've been here before.' The only difference is that you dwell on it afterwards.

Hi Zee

zee112;n880510 said:
I've been fine since then apart from having these weird mental moments where I experience dejavu/weird 'oh I've dreamt that moment' then it leaves me feeling weird for 20-30 mins then I'm back to normal.

yeah ... I think I got that sort of thing now and then. Not only confined to my heart surgery, but other "big life events"

so I don't think its related to:

I've read up on a phenomena called 'pump head' but I'm not sure if that is it.

which is a bit different.

A friend of mine once said to me (about these things) that when we are exposed to such monumental events as this our brains just simply don't know how to cope with it intellectually, so we just cope with it emotionally.

Its not bad or good in my view ... its just part of who you are now.

same as its part of who I am now ...

Best Wishes

Agian;n880514 said:
PS Isn't it funny how we can reassure others whilst being nervous wrecks ourselves? We lose our objectivity when it's us ;-)

Drat, Agian! Now you've gone and given away one of my secrets.

Seriously, your point clearly shows how the mind works. Outwardly, we can react based upon facts, logic and logical projections of future events based upon history. When we, ourselves, are the "owner" of the issue, all logic goes out the window and emotion takes over. It is human nature, and it helps to explain the success and real value of support groups. We tell ourselves "Oh my God, this could happen, and then that would happen, and then. . . " We get all worked up about the "could-be's" with no valid reason to expect them to happen. We "over-exaggerate" by thinking of a semi-linear event series, but we always think of the worst possible outcome at each decision point. By the time our minds reach the endpoint, we are nervous wrecks. Our many friends here and at other support groups drag us back to reality by reminding us of the actual real facts. We are reminded that although these bad things could happen, the probability of them all going bad in sequence is very remote, and the likely outcome it much better than we envisioned. If others see this and remind us about it, we are more likely to accept it.

That's one way I have managed to avoid melt-down's over the years. I may not show it here, but I do have that occasional sleepless night with my mind zooming through all the bad scenarios. Eventually, though, I am able to bring myself back to earth. . . the earth where logic rules and the outcome is almost never the worst that could happen. Reality shines through with the morning sun, and I am once again confident in my future.

End of philosophy lesson, with one nugget to close it. I always try to live by the rule of: "If you can't have a nice day, be sure you royally screw up somebody else's." ;-)) {Steve runs and hides before the natives start throwing things. . . }

Latest posts

Back