Posture after surgery - longterm changes?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I know that this may sound a bit strange to some of you out there, but it may make a bit of sense.

I had my valve replacement 26 years ago. My chest has only been cracked open twice - once for the surgery, once a few hours later to find a bleeder.

Since then, although I didn't make a connection to the surgery, I've had issues with my posture -- my neck doesn't seem to stay properly above my shoulders - it hangs somewhat forward and, of course, my head isn't straight above the rest of my body.

I've been seeing a physical therapist who performs what's called myofascial massage (or something like that), and he told me that it's the scar tissue in the sternum that brings the shoulders together more than they should be, and that is also responsible for the neck going forward. He indicated that issues with one body area can impact other areas -- loosening the calf muscle also helps to loosen the muscles in the arch of the foot, for example.

He's slowly working on loosening the tight area in my sternum. He's given me some stretches that may also help.

Have any of you heard anything like this? Have any of you got similar postural issues that you don't remember having pre-op?

Protimenow;n879490 said:
I know that this may sound a bit strange to some of you out there, but....
Have any of you heard anything like this? Have any of you got similar postural issues that you don't remember having pre-op?

I noted quickly after my "catheter surgery" (which went in through the inside elbow of my right arm and is now replaced with what we call an angiogram) that due to cradling my arm in the healing process (both physical and mental as I was awake during it and 9 years old) the scar tissue in the skin formed with less "give" preventing me from making my arm straight.

When I felt that the "scar was solid" (and the last of the embedded "supposed to dissolve" stitches had emerged) I began slowly straigtening it. My method was to lay on the floor with a cushion under my arm to support it at the angle it felt "tight at" ... over weeks I gradually moved the cushion further out till eventually it was able to lay flat.

I observed similar things about my neck and shoulders after my OHS surgery at 10 Years Old when I was about 12 YO. So I began laying on the floor with my neck straight and chin tucked in. I also took to wearing my backpack (which I carried to school, as we walked to school back then) further towards the deltoids to encourage straight shoulders ... I became much more posturally aware.

Since then I've been aware of how much excessive time on the computer (working in IT does not help) and in the years after my 28 YO surgery I found that (as I was back at uni again, doing my 2nd degree, "re-training" cos science research was killed in Australia by our Prime Minister) long times before the screen wasn't helping.

When I was well enough I went to a chiropracter for monthly "loosens" and took up cyclying to work (a complete change of angle of neck for the half hour each way). That helped too.

Since then I find that walking (with a pack on) , cycling and cross country skiing (which works the arms well) has helped fantastically.

It may be hard to "regain" much at a more advanced age, but flexibility work is always good.

Even after my last (3rd) surgery (and all that went wrong there) I still pushing myself gently every day, to be able to go out in the woods skiing ... no matter how cold or how tough the going.

so work on it, don't over do it, but you'll see improvements if you work on it consistently ... go for it mate!

Yes, I've been 'going for it.' I've been sleeping without a pillow - which hasn't helped much, and laying down, with my arms out, fully extended, for 10 or more minutes at a time also helps open the ribcage.
I was curious about whether others are having the same issues.
Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, for sure, I've noticed this. The stiffer sternum affects my shoulders as well, but like you two, I just continue to work at things that stretch the area and develop mobility across the chest. Fortunately, it all seems to be helping, especially opening the ribcage as you're doing. We have our homework :)

Yes! And I've found the solution too. Works like a charm. I saw a physio had massage... and then, I discovered the 'Strap Thingy'. Not only did it straighten me up, it has the added bonus of triggering women into making uncharitable comments. I have to endure suggestions to wear it under my shirt, or find a shirt to match it, think of the aesthetics. How does your wife let you out with that? I've even been called a 'goober'. LOL So now I wear it publicly and with pride.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.alfacare.no\/Media\/Cache\/Images\/3\/1\/WEB_Image%20-182258998.Png"}[/IMG2]

Agian;n879500 said:
... I have to endure suggestions to wear it under my shirt, or find a shirt to match it, think of the aesthetics. How does your wife let you out with that? I've even been called a 'goober'.
most uncharitable ... although I wonder if there is some dialectic difference between SA and Qld ... cos "goober" usually means either something you hack up and spit out (perhaps with a strong sniffle too) OR something you pick out (also known as greenies).

Actually, a goober is another word for peanut. People who are described as 'goober's were thought to be people who grew peanuts. At one time (and maybe even now), there's a candy - I think it's chocolate covered peanuts - that are called 'goobers.' The thing that comes from the nose is a booger. An entirely different thing.

I may have to find that strap thing for opening the rib cage. I assume, of course, that it goes behind the back, with the arms going through the holes. Right?

Actually, I thought you put one leg into each loop and pull it up REALLY tight. It'll remind you to stand VERY still, or, perhaps, to take some quick walks.

I've looked at the company's website, and also checked eBay for these.

The strap thingy saved me time and money. I was hunched forwards and was getting back and chest pains because of my posture. Seriously, a good idea. Cheap and simple.

I wasn't knocking that thing. When I've got some money to invest in one (yeah, I know that they're not very expensive, but I'm still waiting for a client to pay me), I'll buy one and give it a try. It sure beats the hell out of trying to remember to hold my shoulders back.

Regular yoga practice over the years has been most helpful for me especially for flexibility and posture (not to mention all the other positive benefits).

One pose that I have found particularly helpful in yoga is the Fish Pose.
From google: Benefits of Fish Pose. Fish Pose stretches the front of the body, particularly the throat, chest, abdomen, hip flexors, and intercostals (the muscles between your ribs). It strengthens the upper back muscles and the back of the neck, which improves spinal flexibility and posture.

Back