4 Days Out

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powerworx - Has your intestinal function returned to normal? Bowel movements getting easier? If not, your pain meds may have slowed or stopped your intestinal motion and you may need some medical help to get it "going" again. After my valve surgery, I had such intestinal/stomach issues for the first month that I was re-admitted to the hospital to get it "going" again. It took a couple of doses of magnesium citrate to get it started, then regular doses of Miralax to keep it normal for a while. The pain meds tend to slow/stop the normal intestinal motion, and you need to get it going again to avoid pain.

Agian/Eva - If Eva is/was taking Metoprolol (or any of its close relatives), it is known to have the side effect of causing very vivid and weird dreams. Just after my valve surgery I was prescribed 100 mg/day of Metoprolol, and before bed each night I used to think "I wonder what's playing in dreamland tonight." As we gradually reduced my dosage, the dreams subsided. Even in the difficult early days of my train-wreck recovery I had something to look forward to each night.

That sounds like fun Eps. Reminds me of Stilnox. I took a couple once and my bedside table turned into a red light district, complete with nightclubs and drunk revellers.

Yeah, and when I had insomnia during recovery, my doc prescribed Ambien. I read the side effects and did some research. . . and never opened the bottle. That stuff is too gnarly for me.

Everything seems to be returning to normal. Blood pressure and pulse have continued to go down. Got to decrease my beta blocker today. Pain has been more or less absent since release with the exception of a few times at night and if I've overdone it. Spending a lot of time hiking in the hills around where I live. The hills kill me, but they're getting easier. A lot of it I assume is the high dose beta blocker they've had me on. Hopefully I'll get to continue to reduce and eventually eliminate it. I've got the admit, I'm really surprised by how quickly I went from feeling like crap (in the hospital) to feeling really good (definitely tired though). As soon as this lowsy 10# weight limit is lifted I'm hoping I can really get back to life. Anyone have any insight on how long before easy mountain biking was back on the table for you? I'm definitely looking forward to being able to do something besides hike before monsoon season starts here in the Northwest.

Sorry you are in so much pain. That must be very difficult to deal with on top of the insomnia. I am a couple of weeks out from redo AVR and I can relate to the insomnia in the hospital. The best sleep I had was in CICU! I slept in the recliner in the room on the floor for an hour or two at a time. I could not sleep in the hospital bed. As for the pain, the narcotics make me nauseated and I end up vomiting if I take the regular dose every 4-6 hours or whatever it is. I vomited one time this go around, as compared to a week of it the last time, and we changed the medicine to a non-narcotic. The med is Ultram. They explained to me that it's like a stronger version of Motrin. It worked great. Best wished for a speedy recovery. I hope things get better for you soon.

The immediate gain I experienced after the valve placement was that I could breath normally, ankle swelling vanished, I could walk well progressively, good appetite returned.These benefits must be there for powerworx too.If not immediate diagnosis is necessary.Sleeplessness alone is not a determinant for the successful procedure.I underwent the procedure on 13.10.2017 at Coimbatore, India done by a proficient cardiologist.Existing conditions of the heart and general health of the patient matters a lot for the comfort levels after the procedure.Pray powerworx get well from the difficulties.

Latest posts

Back