No announcement yet.

4 Days Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you are slowly improving. The first 2 weeks was the worst. It gets better. Hang in there!!!
    1997: At 33 yo, diagnosed Bicuspid Aortic Valve w/ Severe Aortic Stenosis (1.0cm2)
    2010: BAV w/ SAS (.7 cm2), mean Pressure gradiant: 42mm HG.
    2011: Mechnical valve, On-X, AVR Scheduled Jan 13, w/ Dr. J Alan Wolfe at NorthEast Georgia Medical Center
    [url]http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tracylynnphillips[/url]
    "Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Yes, hang in there! The worst is almost over! From now on you'll start seeing improvement every day.
      I had very strange dreams and many nightmares the first few nights! Yet, I enjoyed the strange dreams (he he he) I lived in another world which seemed very beatiful! Wish I had written them down. It's nice, if you can, to keep a journal and see your progression.
      Good luck. Keep us posted.
      Eva

Aortic & Mitral valves replaced with St. Jude Mechanical valves @ age 57 on 9/2/08

INR home tester/Coagucheck

Forum Rules: " .... medical opinions expressed in this forum are the personal opinions of individuals. No person should at any time
      act on the information contained herein without the express consent of your own physician."

Comment

Last night I had another lousy night. Bad stomach pain maybe from something I ate combined with the other pain almost made everything unbearable.

Then my nose started squirting blood. While trying to get it under control it started running into my stomach and I started vomiting and dry heaving.

At that point they pulled my labs and called the doctor. I was removed from my heparin drip temporary until I stopped bleeding. My blood pressure was taken and it was 195/105. 20 minutes later and the nose is good. Labs come back and my INR is good and the heparin doesn't need restarted.

Finally took a nap around 8am.

Got up and started moving around about 10am. Felt pretty good. BP is down to 155/90. Rest a little. Blood pressure drops to 135/85.

I've felt really good the rest of today. Walked about a mile. Pain is almost gone. Blood pressure has continued to drop. All my nurses seem shocked.

So weird. Probably going home tomorrow. Thanks for listening to my tirade and giving input. It's been a really scary, not fun adventure.

Comment

Shit
          That's no fun at all

Perhaps exacerbated by the nose tube removal?

I hope things smooth out for you soon

Best Wishes

Comment

Originally posted by Eva View Post
            I enjoyed the strange dreams (he he he) I lived in another world which seemed very beatiful.
            Really? Do tell us more.

Bicuspid Aortic Valve. Moderate Aortic Valve Stenosis. Ascending Aorta: 4.1cm
            In the waiting room.

Comment

powerworx - Has your intestinal function returned to normal? Bowel movements getting easier? If not, your pain meds may have slowed or stopped your intestinal motion and you may need some medical help to get it "going" again. After my valve surgery, I had such intestinal/stomach issues for the first month that I was re-admitted to the hospital to get it "going" again. It took a couple of doses of magnesium citrate to get it started, then regular doses of Miralax to keep it normal for a while. The pain meds tend to slow/stop the normal intestinal motion, and you need to get it going again to avoid pain.

Agian/Eva - If Eva is/was taking Metoprolol (or any of its close relatives), it is known to have the side effect of causing very vivid and weird dreams. Just after my valve surgery I was prescribed 100 mg/day of Metoprolol, and before bed each night I used to think "I wonder what's playing in dreamland tonight." As we gradually reduced my dosage, the dreams subsided. Even in the difficult early days of my train-wreck recovery I had something to look forward to each night.
              Go Class of 2011!

Steve Epstein
              9 Years in The Waiting Room, then on February 28, 2011,
              AVR with 23mm Edwards Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve, Model 3300TFX, Pacemaker - Boston Scientific Altrua 60 DDDR IS-1 and CABG (LIMA-LAD) at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago by Dr. Patrick McCarthy and the most wonderful team of professionals I could ask for. New pacemaker (Boston Scientific L101) and ventricular lead, July, 2016.

Comment

That sounds like fun Eps. Reminds me of Stilnox. I took a couple once and my bedside table turned into a red light district, complete with nightclubs and drunk revellers.
                Bicuspid Aortic Valve. Moderate Aortic Valve Stenosis. Ascending Aorta: 4.1cm
                In the waiting room.

Comment

Yeah, and when I had insomnia during recovery, my doc prescribed Ambien. I read the side effects and did some research. . . and never opened the bottle. That stuff is too gnarly for me.
                  Go Class of 2011!

Steve Epstein
                  9 Years in The Waiting Room, then on February 28, 2011,
                  AVR with 23mm Edwards Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve, Model 3300TFX, Pacemaker - Boston Scientific Altrua 60 DDDR IS-1 and CABG (LIMA-LAD) at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago by Dr. Patrick McCarthy and the most wonderful team of professionals I could ask for. New pacemaker (Boston Scientific L101) and ventricular lead, July, 2016.

Comment

Everything seems to be returning to normal. Blood pressure and pulse have continued to go down. Got to decrease my beta blocker today. Pain has been more or less absent since release with the exception of a few times at night and if I've overdone it. Spending a lot of time hiking in the hills around where I live. The hills kill me, but they're getting easier. A lot of it I assume is the high dose beta blocker they've had me on. Hopefully I'll get to continue to reduce and eventually eliminate it. I've got the admit, I'm really surprised by how quickly I went from feeling like crap (in the hospital) to feeling really good (definitely tired though). As soon as this lowsy 10# weight limit is lifted I'm hoping I can really get back to life. Anyone have any insight on how long before easy mountain biking was back on the table for you? I'm definitely looking forward to being able to do something besides hike before monsoon season starts here in the Northwest.

Comment

Sorry you are in so much pain. That must be very difficult to deal with on top of the insomnia. I am a couple of weeks out from redo AVR and I can relate to the insomnia in the hospital. The best sleep I had was in CICU! I slept in the recliner in the room on the floor for an hour or two at a time. I could not sleep in the hospital bed. As for the pain, the narcotics make me nauseated and I end up vomiting if I take the regular dose every 4-6 hours or whatever it is. I vomited one time this go around, as compared to a week of it the last time, and we changed the medicine to a non-narcotic. The med is Ultram. They explained to me that it's like a stronger version of Motrin. It worked great. Best wished for a speedy recovery. I hope things get better for you soon.

Comment

Oops..didn't read page 2 to see that you are home now. Glad you are recovering so well!

Comment

Working...
                        X