Post Surgery Quality of Life

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi,

I recently underwent surgery to replace my aortic valve, aortic root, and ascending aortic aneurysm. I'm about to get married in a couple of months and am extremely worried about my quality of life. I like working out, and I keep getting differing opinions on weight lifting. Some cardiologists say not at all and surgeons are saying I'm free to do whatever I'd like. I don't want to do competitive weight lifting, but enough to keep in shape. What should be my limit in terms of a quantitative number? Also what kinds of activities should I avoid? Can I ski, swim, snorkel? Things like that? I have gotten vague answers from all doctors, and was wondering if the community members can possible give me more direction. Thank you!

I usually go with the answer I like. I had my valve repaired but I also had my root and ascending replaced all the way to my hemi arch. My surgeon says to do whatever I want. Right now finishing the last of my coffee and trying to muster the energy to go tear some siding off of the house and put new sheathing up.You didn't say what kind of valve you got ( tissue or mechanical ) although I doubt it would make much of a difference in this regards.

cldlhd;n876896 said:
I usually go with the answer I like.........

I agree with cldlhd. We are not "china dolls" and, within reason, do anything we want........using only common sense. Search the stories about weight lifting on this forum. There are many members who continue to weight lift after surgery. At 81 I still spend a few hours per week at the gym......just to keep everything working OK.

Guest;n876889 said:
I like working out, and I keep getting differing opinions on weight lifting. Some cardiologists say not at all and surgeons are saying I'm free to do whatever I'd like. I don't want to do competitive weight lifting, but enough to keep in shape. What should be my limit in terms of a quantitative number?

As honeybunny says, I do weight lifting, I do this for both my health and because I enjoy it. Following aortic valve replacement I obviously wasn't able to do any weight lifting for a while, but when I had cardiac reahab one of the exercises, a repetitive step off a rebok step wrecked my ankle so I couldn't walk for about a month so the cardiac nurse, who did ironman training in his spare time, got me doing weight lifting exercises ! I was very happy about this. It was low weights on an EZ bar but this was still only three or so months following surgery ! But by six months I was gradually back lifing dumbells and slowly increasing the weights - listening to my body and sternum. I've not got quite back to my pre-surgery level of fitness but I reckon that is due to the problem with the replacement valve which appears to be too small for me (I'm having a TEE to evaluate this further).

You should be able to everything you want in time as you recover from surgery. Including skiing , swimming, snorkelling - there's a forum member here who does snorkelling.

I am very active so when I was diagnosed with BAV and an aortic aneurysm I did some research on the risks of exercising post aneurysm. I posted what I found with some quotes from some prominent Dr's on this subject here: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...ilitation/42754-exercise-post-aneurysm-repair. I found that there seems to be less research and consensus following surgery, than before hand. My impression is that it is the risk of a secondary aneurysm that is the primary concern and so those with just BAV may have less risk, though of course those with only BAV are at higher risk of a first aneurysm than the general population, even after valve repair or replacement. In any case, I do not intend to participate in competitive athletics and in weightlifting I generally limit myself to a weight that I can lift at least 20 times. For me this is a reasonable precaution and not an inconvenience. Many competitive athletes have returned to competition post surgery so I think you can do pretty much anything you want. Certainly skiing, swimming, snorkeling and exercising to stay in shape should be fine. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

AZ Don;n876913 said:
I am very active so when I was diagnosed with BAV and an aortic aneurysm I did some research on the risks of exercising post aneurysm. I posted what I found with some quotes from some prominent Dr's on this subject here: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...ilitation/42754-exercise-post-aneurysm-repair. I found that there seems to be less research and consensus following surgery, than before hand. My impression is that it is the risk of a secondary aneurysm that is the primary concern and so those with just BAV may have less risk, though of course those with only BAV are at higher risk of a first aneurysm than the general population, even after valve repair or replacement. In any case, I do not intend to participate in competitive athletics and in weightlifting I generally limit myself to a weight that I can lift at least 20 times. For me this is a reasonable precaution and not an inconvenience. Many competitive athletes have returned to competition post surgery so I think you can do pretty much anything you want. Certainly skiing, swimming, snorkeling and exercising to stay in shape should be fine. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Hi I just wanted to say your previous post from 2013 is brilliant information!! I've never come across your post before, :)

I had my surgery April 1 2016. Once I got my strength and stamina back, I started doing whatever I felt comfortable doing, running, swimming, skiing, weights. You can do all the physical things you did before surgery, just pay attention to your body...For instance I didn't run for a full year because the shock of it on my breastbone was not comfortable, push ups don't feel great either, but I'm sure I'll be doing them before long. My experience was that my cardiologist was very conservative about what you can't do. He mentioned that I shouldn't ski because if you have a skiing accident there's a possibility of internal injuries (bleeding) when you're on warfarin, like I am (artificial valve) that's not a good thing. Based on that logic, I guess I shouldn't drive either. I don't ski as nearly as often as I drive (unfortunately). I now just try to avoid getting injured. But then again that's what I've always done!

I use to do powerlifting and contact sports. I now play golf hahaha!

In all seriousness however, I actually feel I have a greater appreciation for life now (after I got out of my 'self pity'phase). I've dropped around 20kgs, I've cut out a lot of bad habits, eat better, sleep better and basically have more patience and don't get as frustrated over trivial things. I'm more inclined to have a day off work to be with my kids (I'm a workaholic) than before.

There will be 'some' limitations, but you'll likely come to realize that you've got a second chance. Take it for what it is and make the most of it.

Ryanvs;n876934 said:
I use to do powerlifting and contact sports. I now play golf hahaha!

In all seriousness however, I actually feel I have a greater appreciation for life now (after I got out of my 'self pity'phase). I've dropped around 20kgs, I've cut out a lot of bad habits, eat better, sleep better and basically have more patience and don't get as frustrated over trivial things. I'm more inclined to have a day off work to be with my kids (I'm a workaholic) than before.

There will be 'some' limitations, but you'll likely come to realize that you've got a second chance. Take it for what it is and make the most of it.

Sounds like all good things. I can relate in some ways. At my work there was a promotion about a year and a half ago. It would have been a move into management. A lot more stress and later hours for not really any, or much, more money. I didn't even put in for it . I was asked why one day by the chairman of the board. I told him I like my job but I like my life more, that staying late would mean I couldn't pick my kid up from school and I never heard an old retired guy say "I wish I spent more time at work" but I've heard plenty say they wish they spent more time with their kids.

Dear Guest: Great questions, I don't pretend to have all the answers. But thought I would chime in. I had the same "full serve"-- aortic valve, root, ascending aneurysm 12 1/2 years ago at age 63. I remain active. Light weight lifting was part of our cardiac rehab, which was very helpful. I've never been into serious weight-lifting, so I personally would avoid weights heavy enough to put me under strain, but that's just me -- we are all different. Swimming, I am confident, is great exercise. I am in a senior fitness class in which will we use dumbbells (pick your own preferred weight), stretching bands, exercise balls etc. Planking is one of the most strenuous exercises -- each person adjusts to own level of fitness. You didn't mention your age so you might be up for more challenging activity than me.

Great to hear from you -- hope you will join us regularly.

Latest posts

Back