9 weeks out

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick7651

This past Monday marked 9 weeks since surgery. I returned to work at 8 weeks although in a light duty status as cardiologist wants to wait 12 weeks for my sternum to heal. I have been feeling pretty good, not 100% but feel that I am progressing at a very good pace. I have been doing long walks and last week graduated to a combination of 4 mile plus walk/runs. My initial fear while exercising was my heart rate. I was trying to stay below 140 as I have read that is a good rule of thumb. Well when I met with my cardiologist he found no reason why I couldn't go higher as long as I was comfortable. With that I have been pushing into the high 150's on my walk/run. With the exception of aching joints, I feel pretty good and I'm getting my zip back and starting to return to my normal work load at home. I am hoping to participate in my very first 5k in June. This may be a pipe dream at this point but it gives me a goal to work for.

Judy, I found that 5 weeks was my turning point. Prior to that I was in a rough place mentally and feeling helpless. It all changed in the 6th and 7th week and I was ready to get back to work and all my normal activities. I was amazed at the change in energy and outlook. Now at 9 weeks I find myself having to constantly remind myself that I had major surgery just over 2 months ago.

Patrick7651;n875950 said:
Judy, I found that 5 weeks was my turning point. Prior to that I was in a rough place mentally and feeling helpless. It all changed in the 6th and 7th week and I was ready to get back to work and all my normal activities. I was amazed at the change in energy and outlook. Now at 9 weeks I find myself having to constantly remind myself that I had major surgery just over 2 months ago.

That's so good to hear Patrick.. I was back in ICU 2 weeks ago with a racing heart and that knocked the wind outta me..Still in pain so really great to hear you're doing so well.. Long may it continue

judy bee;n875955 said:
That's so good to hear Patrick.. I was back in ICU 2 weeks ago with a racing heart and that knocked the wind outta me..Still in pain so really great to hear you're doing so well.. Long may it continue

sorry to hear you're still facing complications. Patrick is right and when you clear the hurdles you'll actually feel (emotionally) better.

Stick with it and I hope you have something to focus on as a guide out of the darkness. It may seem like a mind trick, but the mind is easy to trick ;-)

I know it always feels different when it's you but it's true as you improve physically you'll feel better mentally. I can remember when I was a couple months out and I sometimes didn't feel quite right but now I feel back to what has to pass for my normal.

pellicle;n875956 said:
sorry to hear you're still facing complications. Patrick is right and when you clear the hurdles you'll actually feel (emotionally) better.

Stick with it and I hope you have something to focus on as a guide out of the darkness. It may seem like a mind trick, but the mind is easy to trick ;-)

Yes.I completely agree Pellicle.. Will be finally back with my pets tomorrow so looking forward to that. The liver story has decided to take over from the heart story now.. Again, another karmic bite from my childhood.. Both the liver and heart problems originated because of dodgy doctor practices when I was 8 and 11. Hope alls good Patrick.Heartening to hear you doing well

cldlhd;n875960 said:
I know it always feels different when it's you but it's true as you improve physically you'll feel better mentally. I can remember when I was a couple months out and I sometimes didn't feel quite right but now I feel back to what has to pass for my normal.

Thank You .. :} "pass for normal" :} That may in fact be better than most...

Latest posts

Back