Severe LV impairment post valve repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkygirl

Hi, new to the forum and posting on behalf.....husband had MV repair in Sept last year, was in afib for around 6 months (a few weeks prior to surgery and 5 months post) before successful cardioversion in Feb this year. At his cardio appointment last week he was told he has severe left ventricular impairment and dilation, Dr said his ejection fraction was about a third of what it should be. A complete kick in the guts as we were so hopeful that the repair would be the 'fix'. Thing is he doesn't have any shortness of breath after exercise and can do about 20-30km on his bike without feeling puffed. He will have another echo in 3 months but doctor said there is only a 50% chance it could improve. He is currently on Amiodarone, Metoprolol and now doctor has just started him on an ACE inhibitor (Cilazapril). Be really keen to hear from anyone else who has experienced this post repair and what the outcome was - whether it has improved or not. I have also read that ubiquinol (co-enzyme Q10) can help with heart muscle repair. Thanks in advance.

Did your hubs have LV dilation prior to the repair?

I also have mitral issues, and my cardiologist emphasizes that we will try to go to surgery before LV becomes dilated as this damage can be irreversible. Pretty much his #1 concern in monitoring.

It has to be encouraging that hubs is so exercise tolerant though!

His notes say 'some LV dilation' but mild systolic dyfunction. EF prior to surgery was 50% despite severe mitral regurgitation. Yes he is still exercising OK, but he is obviously worried about the latest cardio report.

Understandably so, I'd be concerned as well. Are they going to do a TEE for the next echo? And then, mitral valve replacement if the result is confirmed?

Hoping someone will chime in here, but there are a lot more aortic valvers on here than mitral. I had MV repair 15 years ago (which the doc said "went about as bad as it could go") but still doing ok . . . only have atrial enlargement not ventricular. I hope you guys land on the right side of that 50% and don't have to head right back to surgery. Tough three months waiting.

Thanks for your good wishes. There wouldn't be a surgical solution to the LV problem in any case- it's due to over-stretching. The mitral valve repair is fine. I've been reading that it can sometimes improve, but obviously not in every case. Just have to hope that this is one that does.

Latest posts

Back