Crazy recovery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mldelag1

Hi folks, so I had my redo sternotomy on February 23rd. I am 39 years old. I should have come through no problems except the previous surgery reflected significant issues in completing the surgery making a 5 hour surgery a 12 hour surgery. I was on heart and lung machine for twice as long as intended. After scheduling life flight to pick me up, my heart finally beat on its own.

Now we knew that a pacemaker was up on the list but before I could have that, I had to clear the sepsis from my body.....I had 2 different bugs in my urine from the catheter and pneumonia and some pleural effusion. A trip to the lab and a puncture to the lung drained that fluid and after 2 weeks infectious disease cleared me for pacemaker. It took him 4 attempts to place it in a spot because my left heart is in complete blockage. After 13 days in the cardiac ICU and 4 days in step down I finally went home.

I was home 11 days and woke up feeling like crap thinking I had appendicitis. I ended up heading to the hospital after lunch remembering nothing from car ride forward and 5 minutes after checking me in, I went in to cardiac arrest. Back to cardiac ICU I went from Thursday of last week until last night when I got transfered to step down unit and a date of Monday for my new defibrillator to be installed. I can't believe a 3rd surgery. This time I end up with a tongue full of ulcers from biting my tongue, some pneumonia and lucky me, I got a blood clot (thankfully surface only) in my right arm. I am also retaining excessive abouts of fluid and am being pumped full of diuretic. This has, in turn, ,caused significant potassium deficiencies. So we fight the battle. I have gained over 20 pounds in fluid in the last week. My right side of my heart is enlarge and they have to now do another echo and determine where defibrillator leads need to go.

Holy God,

You've been right through the crusher, sorry to hear about this. What were the issues with your redo surgery ? Adhesions ? My redo should have been fairly straight forward as well, but my heart had adhered to the inside of my sternum, and trying to separate them caused a few VF arrests. It's a lot harder second time round, even without any complications, I wish you well for your continuing recovery, and hope you get stronger every day, physically and mentally.

Emotionally I am having some breakdowns in the evenings when things quiet down. I have a reason why my number has not been called yet so I know I have something important to do with my life. 3rd surgery scares me for sure. My mom is worrie# about my heart stopping again and what if I was driving when it happened.

Really sorry to hear how badly things are going for you Midelag. Sounds nighmarish. Will be thinking of you on Monday, wishing they fix things for you this time.

Midelag,

You are bound to have emotional breakdowns, it's absolutely normal, and healthy. You are going through a hell of a lot, and it's great to hear that you are looking forwards already, to life and purpose in the future, you WILL get stronger and recover. Best wishes for Monday.

Back