On the road to recovery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azuraz

I was fortunate to find this forum prior to my surgery. I was able gain insight and knowledge prior to my surgery that helped to understand the process better and ask better questions. I am 62 yrs. old. I had my BAV replaced March 2nd at Regina General Hospital, Regina Saskatchewan by Dr. Moustapha and his team. The surgery and recovery for the next 6 days was exemplary. Saskatchewan should be proud to have a world class Cardiac program. I have a Carbomedics Tophat 23mm valve now. I can report my recovery is going very well. I was released from hospital to home on Day 6. Have had 2 appointments with my family doctor at Moosomin Sask. Half of my 45 incision staples were removed on Day 12.
I have started down the Warfarin , INR road with the support of the local hospital lab and family doctor. Thanks to this site I was aware of self testing and have ordered a complete Coaguchek XS kit off of ebay. Delivery in next week or so. I have the support of all of my medical team, surgeon, cardio and family doctor. Right now having blood draws at local hospital lab Mon. Wed. and Fri. this week. Range is INR 2-3. I was released from hospital on 2mg a day and INR at 2.2, Since then I have had a 3mg dose and am taking 2.5 mg a day. See what today's test reveals. Look forward to home testing. Hope I can get going with out too many hiccups. It appears the lancing and draw of a nice drop of blood quickly is possibly the key to success.
At this point my story is pretty boring, so is my life. Have been sternly warned not to over do anything. Heal first!! . Do deep breathing exercises and short slow walks on tread mill as it is quite icy outdoors on our streets and I am wary of a fall.
I am only using a couple of tylenol before bed and may stop that soon. The pain is mildly uncomfortable when on my back in bed. Sleep is poor as I have not slept flat on my back in 62 years. I am up for bathroom breaks and usually end the night with a couple of hours in the recliner chair.
I cant drive for 6 weeks. This not a problem for me as I am retired and my wife, who has been a cornerstone for me, is more than happy to take me to lab and doctor appointments. I feel I could easily drive myself but will not as I would not have insurance should an incident occur. You know Murphys law. We will limit our night time driving as there is plenty of deer and moose in our rural area. A whack on the bumper by one of these guys could set off airbags. I could not imagine the damage that might do to the sternum.

Welcome aboard.

Take recovery easy, don't over step the mark but don't sit on the couch.

It's a balance :)

I'm sure you'll do well. I'm sitting at the Helsinki airport awaiting boarding to a flight to Prague for a week. Seems that I'm going to miss Gym Guy by a few days as he flies in from DC in the USA the week after I leave ... Serendipity!

Self testing really liberates one from being slaved to the clinic :)

Don't slip and fall, in eastern Finland , where I live, its like this as of today [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent.fhel1-1.fna.fbcdn.net\/v\/t31.0-8\/fr\/cp0\/e15\/q65\/17240446_10155096085902498_6530333083832956606_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=b237093aa63e0603cdb3c2b4dadf5430&oe=596665F4"}[/IMG2]

Will probably post a pic or two when I get there

Best Wishes

Thx Pellicle. I have read some of your blog and watched some video. Info that you provide just saves a person from having to make mistakes. I can get a little head start on some things. Do you have an excel template for recording INR info and producing some graphs and moving averages?

Thx Pellicle. I have read some of your blog and watched some video. Good stuff. Saves a guy some time for sure. Do you have an excel template for recording and graphing INR info?

Thanks for sharing your experience undergoing a successful valve replacement. It is encouraging to those in the waiting room, and to the entire VR community. Best wishes going forward. Mary

Welcome Azuraz to the site. Make sure you contact the manufacturer of the Carbomedics valve to verify that they received your valve info(model and serial number) from your hospital in order for them to place you in their permanent file. Years from now you may need that info for other procedures.......been there done that, and it's hard to round up file info years after surgery.

Back