On-x Valve users aspirin intake

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustav

Hi all. Been 7months since procedure and all going great.

Yesterday had my 3rd follow up echocardiogram and discussed with my cardiologist whether it's useful to continue my daily 75mg aspirin daily intake which onyx suggest for the initial 3 months. She told me that on other makes they don't usually prescribe it however on-x has different understanding. She pushed on the importance of warfarin however said that I may stop aspirin now.

Have any on-x users kept the aspirin intake ? My only concern is long time repercussions if any. I figured one less pill is a
ways better.

Your experiences and thoughts are very welcome.

Thank you

I took only warfarin for 45+ years but had a new cardiologist suggest that I also begin taking one baby asparin(81mg) daily. His comment was that the low dose asparin was not an anticoagulant but was helpful in making the blood cells "more siippery". I have noticed that many current cardios are also prescribing baby asparin for their heart patients.....and not necessarily just valve patients. I have found no long term repercussions from warfarin and trust the low dose asparin will also have none.

I've never read of any long term issues with small doses of aspirin, aside from a reduction of the complications such as stroke or heart attack.

Myself I didn't continue to take the aspirin after about a year ... but that was simply because I was too lazy to get more and I don't really think about it much. I'm more focused on maintaining a good INR.

:)

I have my original bav, I had a repair, and my cardio prescribed a baby aspirin. Don't know if I need it but "I hear good things" .

I take Warfarin and Plavix, but intend to step-down to Aspirin next year.
I read a book stating that endocarditis starts on a small platelet-fibrin clot. Aspirin may prevent that from happening in the first place.
I too have an On-X.

Gustav;n874348 said:
Thank you appreciate both replies.

No worries

When my last box ran out there was a bit of discussion here about it so I did a a bit of reading and found that there was nothing conclusive or powerful in the studies, so I felt that I could just let it slide.

I don't know, perhaps ill take it up again in later years. Especially if my blood works come back less than excellent

Interesting discussion. I have an On-X since mid-2016 as well but nobody suggested or recommended Aspirin. However, from On-X patients in Europe I learned that this is quite common. So - I am not sure what the right course for the treatment is - I am a little bit worried that Aspirin - even at the low dose - could pose a risk with stomach bleeding.

Also - for those of you that are taking the 81mg Aspirin - is there any effect on your INR?

Thanks - Juergen

I have had my aortic On-X since 2010, and even prior to that, when I had a St Judes in 2000,
my cardiologists have me on a Warfarin / Aspirin (81mg) regiment.

I guess it's one of those things. My cardio wants me to take aspirin, my surgeon responded with a "why?". The surgeons nurse practitioner wants me to take a higher dose of aspirin if I don't have any issues with it.

Juli;n874353 said:
Also - for those of you that are taking the 81mg Aspirin - is there any effect on your INR?

Thanks - Juergen

Hi Juli. I started the 81mg aspirin in June 2013. I was taking 37mg warfarin then and am still taking 37mg warfarin. Out of curiosity I looked at the six months prior to starting 81mg aspirin and the six months after. It appears that there was a sight uptick in INR......+.1 or +.2. Not enough for me to change any warfarin dosing. I did notice that my INR after starting the aspirin actually seemed to settle down INR swings a little.

Last edited:
Juli;n874353 said:
Interesting discussion. I have an On-X since mid-2016 as well but nobody suggested or recommended Aspirin. However, from On-X patients in Europe I learned that this is quite common. So - I am not sure what the right course for the treatment is - I am a little bit worried that Aspirin - even at the low dose - could pose a risk with stomach bleeding.

Thanks - Juergen

Hi Juergen as regards to 'I am a little bit worried that Aspirin - even at the low dose - could pose a risk with stomach bleeding' I was told that you would start having stomach symptoms immediately if aspirin isn't working out well, in my case no symptoms whatsoever in 7months.

I have a st Jude mechical conduit. My cardio put me on baby aspirin. My sister, who had same surgery and goes to the same practice but a different doctor, was not put on aspirin. As such, I don't stress if I miss a dose. We are both on warfarin as well.

Gustav;n874368 said:
Hi Juergen as regards to 'I am a little bit worried that Aspirin - even at the low dose - could pose a risk with stomach bleeding' I was told that you would start having stomach symptoms immediately if aspirin isn't working out well, in my case no symptoms whatsoever in 7months.

Gustav - thanks. That is good to know. I might now also consider to adopt Aspirin.

Juergen

Latest posts

Back