take asperin/ibuprofen INSTEAD of warfarin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hello, all, new here.
I had an aortic valve replacement in August of 2016, everything has gone well, but now that I'm back in the work force full swing, my other bodily problems are starting to haunt me again. I was in the army for 11 years, and my blood at any given time was probably 95% ibuprofen (joke, of course). I was cursed with weaker ankles and wrists, and always got inflamation after a long day of hard work. before, I would just take the motrin horse tabs the medics gave out, and i would feel like a new man. Now, however, since I've gotten the On-x valve and am now on warfarin, I can't take it. Tylenol does nothing, and I don't want to take it too much anyway for all that organ failure stuff.
My question is... since I have an On-x valve that's designed to work by taking a dose of warfarin AND asperin, (I'm actually managing my INR's right now with just warfarin, no asperin). Since asperin and ibuproffen are anti-inflamatories and i guess effectively thin the blood.... can't I just take these INSTEAD of warfarin?

no wararin and you will end up like this guy.. he was a valver also, my father (valver as well) knew him

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald...sed-dads-death

aspirin has no effect on INR it's the warfarin that does that, aspirin stops your platelets in your blood sticking together which is the first part of clotting,

Warfarin affects the vitamin K-dependent clotting factors (II, VII, IX,X) and protein C and protein S, and they are the ones that matter!!!!

Hello:

59 years old, have suffered from lower back pain for years, due mainely to inflammation. I have always tried to deal with the pain to avoid back surgery.

In 2015 I had OHS/AVR Onx. 2 months post op I developed Pericarditis due to inflammation. Treated with Colchicine for 6mo to control pericarditis inflammation. Worked great to control inflammation, added benifit had no back pain and no effect on INR. Two weeks after I stopped the Colchicine, back pain returned with a vengeance. Began taking the Colchicine in a smaller dose 0.6mg once a day and the back feels just fine, with no effect on INR range. Check out Colchicine, it’s a more natural low cost prescription drug derived from plants and has been around for over 60 years to treat inflammation.

Bottom line I Feel great, no signs of pericarditis, no back pain and INR is stable and in range. Able to be active and exercise. There are options and alternatives out there that may be right for you…check it out with your GP and Cardio.

The new generation of mechanical heart valves take a lickin and keep on clickin.

All the best,

Nick

Well I didn't realize this was the "be a dick about an honest question" group. Thanks for answering my question, assuming a bunch of things about me, and ensuring I never come back. I managed to ask my doctor this morning, and she was capable of telling me it's a bad idea without having to get on a soap box. Miraculous.

boxoftj;n873545 said:
Well I didn't realize this was the "be a dick about an honest question" group. Thanks for answering my question, assuming a bunch of things about me, and ensuring I never come back. I managed to ask my doctor this morning, and she was capable of telling me it's a bad idea without having to get on a soap box. Miraculous.

where was the soap box?

the miraculous thing is you've managed to take good advice (which seemed to be unanimous and even suggested by your doctor) and turn it into calling you a dick. Where were the assumptions?

Your doctor cost you money, you got the same advice here for free and you throw insults at us ...Come back or not ... live or not ... it won't change my life.

Perhaps you've self identified well ... after all you probably know yourself better than us

I think people were sincerely worried about you, because we could empathise. You see someone crossing the road about to be hit by a car... 'Oh, I think that's unwise. Maybe you should reconsider your options and retrace your steps...'

Btw, I had a post deleted for using that d*** word. It was funny too (I thought so, anyway). Where's the justice?

boxoftj;n873545 said:

yep i think it's all a bit bemusing, no soap box here or happy rainbows.. , hey i'm only slightly newer or older at this than you depending which way you look at it so just trying to help which is what you asked for wasn't it?
The link was simply to show what can and very unfortunately does happen if it goes wrong and it certainly has a very personal connection for me being this guy was known by my father and died in my home town from no warfarin with a mechanical valve....... on a doctors advice no less
IMO it's as serious a topic as it can get cause if its wrong your gone

me
kiwi (NZ) ( not "that" other island slightly further north)

there have been other posts on here regarding NSAIDs -- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibruprofen etc as obviously there are issues there with that and warfarin
so if you do come back maybe have a search or ask and someone might point you towards it without the D word

were all in this together

Agian;n873548 said:
I think people were sincerely worried about you, because we could empathise.

I think that can take the past tense now ...

Btw, I had a post deleted for using that d*** word. It was funny too (I thought so, anyway). Where's the justice?

The lady with the scales and sword is blind ... so justice is always arbitary ... Look at King David ... cut the baby in half and gave a bit to each woman

;-)

boxoftj;n873545 said:

At least you hopefully got enough answers, from your doc and from some very experienced patients, to now understand the importance of maintaining a warfarin program.....and that is a very good thing. I only wish somebody would have been around to tell me that not taking the drug (even for only a couple days) was a very, very dangerous idea. Strokes are forever.....I know.

I'm concerned if you're taking only warfarin when you are supposed to be taking both that and aspirin. They work differently. Better talk to your doc about that too, or just follow your prescriptions.

Back