In/Out: Nov.15-21 Success!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheilasue

Hello everyone! I am excited to say that I finally had my aortic valve replacement surgery and I am on the road to recovery!! I have SJM Regency 23mm valve. I want to thank this forum for answswering so many questions that I had and because of this forum and talking to other members like bgilber, was able to get a better idea on how to prepare for this major operation.

The first day, Nov.15, I went into the operating room to get a heart cath to check things out. That went well and there was nothing wrong, meaning I had to only deal with the aortic valve. I stayed overnight and the next day on the 16th I had the operation for the aortic valve. The doctor said it was the worst calcification of a bicuspid valve that he had seen all year. My valve was around .6mm when they had done the echocardiogram. He says that by the time they got in there after a month it actually looked worse so I don't even know how big it was and at this point I ddnt want to know.

The first day after the operation I was in pain from the two drainage tubes in my stomach as well as the incisions. It was painful as hell. I mentally had prepared for this. The second day was horrible and looking back now consider it the most painful night in my life. I started getting really bad gas in my intestines because my intestines were "waking up" and because of the pain medications. I remember it was three in the morning and I was laying across the chair in the room just suffering so badly. The nurses were incredible and so patient with me. They said they had seen this many times so I put my trust in them because they knew what they were talking about.

I was finally given some Maalox and some morphine and I was able to finally clear out the gas little by little as I lay flat on the bed. The next day they removed the tubes which helped me 50% get better already in regards to the pain. I was able to walk a little faster and much more sturdier.

My appetite was nonexistent but I forced myself to eat mashed potatoes and soft foods that I knew wouldn't be too rough on me. I am lactose intolerant so I avoided any ice cream or any of these kinds of puddings that might have milk in it. I think part of the cause of my horrible pain the night before when I wasn't thinking straight and ate a little bit of ice cream.

The next few days I got better but was starting to get depressed but I knew this already from the forum and reading all your comments. I kept plugging through it by watching TV or jumping on my iPad and just reading something silly.

As the days progressed my appetite returned and I started eating more and more and I was able to walk more and more one they removed the drain tubes. I had my heart beating correctly it would skip a beat once in a while so that had the doctors concerned so they kept me at the hospital observing me.

They sent me home at 1:30pm Nov. 21!

When I got to the car I cried joyously! When I got home I gave my phone to my brother and demanded that he record me dancing to show everyone I was alright.

I made a video but its so cringe-worthy that I will not show it here!

The valve was loud as hell in my head when I first heard it and my body would have teeny tiny shakes as my new and opened heart valve pumped blood through it more than ever. After the thirds day I realized that I couldnt hear the valve clicking anymore unless I concentrated on it.

I was happy and blessed to celebrate Thanksgiving today with my entire family surrounding me. They said I looked great!

I still have months to go with rehab etc. but I am looking forward to it. I am glad I did this operation. My father who also has aotic stenosis but not as severe as me, said that I have inspired him to get a natural valve procedure now and like he and the family was there for me, I too will be there for him.

Heres looking foward to a new wonderful year!

Congratulations on your successful surgery and now that you are a "zipper club member", stick around to help others. BTW, I think it's great that you inspired your dad to look into his problem.

Wonderful, saybia! Welcome to The Other Side of the Mountain. You have joined the ranks of successful heart valve travelers. We hope you stay with us a long time.

I can fully agree with your emotional situation upon getting into the car to go home. Isn't life grand! I remember my ride home, even though I was in the hospital for 9 days (just a few complications), I was near tears at several landmarks on the way home. It just came on, got the better of me, then was gone. I didn't mind it one bit. Those feelings were real, as I'm sure yours were, too. Enjoy them. You've earned every one of them.

dick0236;n870584 said:
congratulations on your successful surgery and now that you are a "zipper club member", stick around to help others. Btw, i think it's great that you inspired your dad to look into his problem.

thank you!

seaton;n870590 said:
fabulous. And fantastic that you're on the other side and healing well. Congratulations to you and the best for the days ahead!

thank you!

epstns;n870594 said:
wonderful, saybia! Welcome to the other side of the mountain. You have joined the ranks of successful heart valve travelers. We hope you stay with us a long time.

I can fully agree with your emotional situation upon getting into the car to go home. Isn't life grand! I remember my ride home, even though i was in the hospital for 9 days (just a few complications), i was near tears at several landmarks on the way home. It just came on, got the better of me, then was gone. I didn't mind it one bit. Those feelings were real, as i'm sure yours were, too. Enjoy them. You've earned every one of them.

thank you!

Congratulations and welcome to the other side. I'm glad you discussed the pain you had; the info will help others facing surgery, just as you were prepared thanks to posts you'd read here. Best wishes for your continued recovery.

epstns;n870679 said:
Heck - You dance better immediately after surgery than I can even now!

Priceless!

LOL! I will have you know that dance is a combination of joy, pain, happiness and a tiny bit of morphine or oxycodone!

That's great! Thanks for sharing! You're moving more than I was 6 days after surgery. I was kinda scared to go home. My surgery was on a Wednesday, and the nurse was talking about sending me home on Saturday. I didn't sleep all night, thinking up the worst things that could possibly happen! None of them happened though.

Anyway, your video will certainly encourage others, letting them know that a person does not have to be bedridden a week after ehart surgery!

-Meredith

Congrats fellow mech-valver! I just saw this! I know you are relieved.. Glad to hear that all went well! I just completed my 36 session rehab and am feeling great as well. Now I just need to get my INR up a bit!! Here's to continued success!

Brian

Back