loss of appetite

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinalovescats

I'm still 4.5 months post op,still trying to get my appetite back.i could eat a whole personal pan pizza now I can't eat after one slice.

How long did it take for you guys to get your appetite back?

It took me a couple of months to get back to my normal appetite. For the first 6 or 8 weeks, food just didn't taste right. Everything tasted like a chemistry experiment except vanilla wafers and ginger ale. I ate, but didn't have my usual appetite. Once my activity level went up, I had to eat, and things gradually got back to normal.

Now, 5 1/2 years later, I'm back to having to watch my weight. Things will settle down - probably just after you stop worrying about them.

For three days right after surgery, food didn't taste good.....but then..... I ate.....and ate..... and ate!!! For whatever reason it was super hard for me to gain weight after surgery and so eating was a ton of fun....I think the surgery took its toll on me and I needed all the food and sleep I could get for months afterwards.

Hopefully you'll get your appetite back soon! It's so interesting how everyone's recovery needs are so different.

Rachel;n869035 said:
For three days right after surgery, food didn't taste good.....but then..... I ate.....and ate..... and ate!!! For whatever reason it was super hard for me to gain weight after surgery and so eating was a ton of fun....I think the surgery took its toll on me and I needed all the food and sleep I could get for months afterwards.

Hopefully you'll get your appetite back soon! It's so interesting how everyone's recovery needs are so different.

I had kinda the same thing. I lost over ten pounds in the hospital so I think I was making up for it as soon as I got real food. Plus I had so many meds to take that I got in the routine of having a snack with my pills throughout the day.

It took me a few weeks before my appetite was back to normal. At times, I just had to force myself to eat. Last thing your body needs to be is malnourished.

marc_kowal;n869152 said:
It took me a few weeks before my appetite was back to normal. At times, I just had to force myself to eat. Last thing your body needs to be is malnourished.

Good point on nourishment. Actually my surgeon advised me in the weeks prior to surgery to eat healthy so I was more prepared going into the operation. He said dont do anything special special, just eat a good clean low-fat diet with lots of protein, avoid junk with lots of sugar and preservatives. He extolled the many benefits of healthy kidneys and liver promoting quick healing and how watching my diet was great preparation.

So glad to hear this is normal. I am a month post-op, and most of my old favorites seem disgusting to me at the moment. The more greasy the food, the bigger yuck-factor. In normal times this would be a good thing, I suppose.. But at the moment about all I really crave is watermelon slices, pineapple, and Jell-O. I am trying to get some more protein sources in, so that I can recover and have more energy to do so.. But I must admit, this is a daily challenge.

Bgilbert-

not sure if everyone else on here had a feeding tube like I did for the two weeks I was in the hospital.BUT..you have to remember your body went through alt during surgery and your hurting all over the place....my appetite is back now.Just be patient and don't get stressed out.

don't ever afraid to ask because we are all in the same boat.

Latest posts

Back