Alcohol Consumption After AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo3

Today I am officially 7 weeks post-AVR; I'm feeling great and will be heading out to dinner with my wife to celebrate.

Prior to surgery I was asymptomatic and consumed an average of 7-10 drinks per week (sometimes less, sometimes more), usually in the form of a glass or two of red wine with dinner.

I've been told that it's ok for me to return to this level of consumption but I wanted to get some feedback from those of you who have been around the block with this already.

My main question: is it a bad idea to consume more than 2 drinks in an evening, and if so why? Direct effect on the heart? INR level concerns?

Curious to get some feedback on this. Thanks in advance.

Hi
I have a glass or two most nights.
The reasons for not having more are not just about the things you mention but also Beta blockers and other drugs you may be on.

Also no health professional is going to say to you to drink more than 2drink a per night because there is sufficient evidence that such has long term effects.

If you are drinking more than 3 then it increases your risk of tripping and having a fall.

Use your own sense of prudence and you should be fine (unless you are a drunk or a drunk who goes to meetings thus an alcoholic)

A bit of searching will reveal dozens of threads here on the topic

Lastly I strongly urge you to self test , test weekly and document your findings every time. Doing so will answer all your questions over time and you will become expert in yourself : not simply a patient.

pellicle;n867692 said:
Hi

Lastly I strongly urge you to self test , test weekly and document your findings every time. Doing so will answer all your questions over time and you will become expert in yourself : not simply a patient.

Yes I have followed this advice from the beginning and it does help a lot

I have been drinking 3 weeks post surgery. Got drunk a few times since then. Drinking increased my INR, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot when I drunk a lot. Because I check weekly and my INR is usually between 2.5/2.7, it has not been a problem. Increase from alcohol did range from +0.2 to +1.2 ( yeah one test after being really drunk got me up to 3.8 ). Never saw any issue with my heart. In my little book, I have took a note any time I test INR after a night drinking more than 2 glasses so I am very sure of the effect on blood.

So now I am building the biggest cave to store as much red wine as I can, in case the American invade us.

61 yrs old, avr 2 month ago, exercising 90-120 min daily (strength and cardio), drinking a bottle of wine with dinner, no problems. but your milage may vary ...

I always have a glass of red wine with my evening meal. I was actually encouraged to have a glass of red wine soon after surgery by one of my docs but I didn’t feel like it. I knew that things were getting ‘better' when about seven weeks post op I started to fancy wine again !

It's hard to read this thread today , the wife and I went out a with our neighbors last night to a little town along the Delaware river ( New Hope , Pa. ) and I got a bit too involved in the alcohol...

Paleogirl;n867713 said:
I always have a glass of red wine with my evening meal. I was actually encouraged to have a glass of red wine soon after surgery by one of my docs but I didn’t feel like it. I knew that things were getting ‘better' when about seven weeks post op I started to fancy wine again !

There is something called the French paradox. French people eat lot of cheese, pate and fat but among the western world they are the population with very little heart issues compare to other people. Some attribute this to the frequent consumption of red wine.

Mmm... Red wine. I have had a glass a couple of times with dinner but felt really guilty about it. The other weekend I met a friend for lunch at a pub that opens onto the street and found I hid my small beer behind the promotional material on the table. I live in a regional town and felt like anybody spotting me having a beer in the afternoon could possibly be critical if they knew I'd had heart surgery. Paranoid and ridiculous. I should just go back to enjoying my life.

Thank you for this thread, I can let my weird hang ups go now.

cldlhd;n867718 said:
It's hard to read this thread today , the wife and I went out a with our neighbors last night to a little town along the Delaware river ( New Hope , Pa. ) and I got a bit too involved in the alcohol...
We call that getting '****-faced'. LOL

JulienDu;n867722 said:
There is something called the French paradox. French people eat lot of cheese, pate and fat but among the western world they are the population with very little heart issues compare to other people. Some attribute this to the frequent consumption of red wine.
I have heard that RED wine (specifically) is good for your heart, from many sources.

Mellyouttaphase;n867724 said:
Mmm... Red wine. I have had a glass a couple of times with dinner but felt really guilty about it. The other weekend I met a friend for lunch at a pub that opens onto the street and found I hid my small beer behind the promotional material on the table. I live in a regional town and felt like anybody spotting me having a beer in the afternoon could possibly be critical if they knew I'd had heart surgery. Paranoid and ridiculous. I should just go back to enjoying my life.

Thank you for this thread, I can let my weird hang ups go now.
I get bottles of Shiraz or Merlot for $5 at the Woolworths bottle-shop and have a glass every evening. I enjoy it and the wine is so cheap that no one can accuse me of being a wine-wanker :) Enjoy your youth Melly.

Never heard "Let's get maggot".

I've been tipsy but not 'drunk' for many years.
People used to encourage me to drink because I was entertaining when pissed. My youth is well and truly gone now.

Drink responsibly young lady. I'd be interested to see what comes out when they drain that effusion.

Definitely no getting maggot for me, I worked out a few years ago that the celebrations have to be well worth it to face the wrath of the following day! It won't be booze coming out of my lung, that's for sure. I shall keep you all posted.

Back