DGAF levels immediately after surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha classy or not honeybunny it's my language and Paliogirl Amen l think thus thread has great importance as well thank you guys for the start up. This has played a huge part in my recovery and my heart condition. I am a extremely emotional human being and when l first found out l was going to need OHS l had so so many different emotions it was crazy. I literally mourned my own life for about 6 months now of course at the same time l was diagnosed with interstitial lung disease and sever apnea l was on deaths door at that point in time.very very ill. I went around telling everyone that I loved how important they were to me and what they meant to me in my life l made right all of the hurt and pain from my past and tell ppl everyday how much they mean and that l love them. That was 2.5 yrs ago when diagnosed. Then again last Christmas just before actually my Cardiologists told me to have a great holiday and we would start the work up in January. . I was fine until Jan 1 and l fell into a depression and again mourned my own life. It insane how much emotion is attached to this and l have also been told about the actual spiritual journey and emotional journey through OHS and for sometime afterwards.
Great thread great topic so thank you and to you also almost_hectic. . It's real and l can't even being to imagine what the rest of this journey will even look like. Although l want to control the whole thing but ultimately am powerless .. in God's hands hear.
Xx I so appreciate this forum and the ppl And to the ppl that had to Google DGAF DGAFF ... hahahahaha! I have had to Google almost everything but this.

Going back to concerns about pain meds and addiction, it needn't necessarily be a big concern, even for someone prone to addiction. My surgery, essentially uncomplicated, required a day on morphine drip in CICU, and three days on Hydromorphone (I don't do well with OXY, makes me jittery and nervous). I checked out on Tylenol 3's, and never really needed more. Sure I felt a lot of soreness, but it didn't kill me, and it saved me having to deal with symptoms of withdrawal down the road.
Perhaps your doctor will be implementing a similar regimen.

Life's too short not to have a laugh.
Anyway, I'm surprised bogans like Trump.
I would have thought he'd be considered a wanker.

I'm not convinced most bogans are right wing. Right wing bogans are pretentious and would be offended if you called them bogans. Left wing bogans are definitely a majority in SA.

almost_hectic;n857625 said:
Be forewarned this post may contain material not suitable for individuals preparing for surgery. PLEASE Stop reading now if it may upset yoU.

Anesthesia and pain killers sent my DGAF levels soaring right after surgery. I went in with a positive attitude but pain and mind altering meds made it almost impossible for me to care. Anyone else have the same? Meds did a lot of weird stuff to my brain function as well as memory of events.

After surgery, I was in a state of being incapacitated, and almost hyper aware at the same time, like my brain had turned itself on, in the face of death.

I remember a dream I had one night in the cardiac ward, a pleasant dream, and then sensing something was wrong...really wrong. Waking up, I was faced with the full realization...alone in the dark in some foreign location, discomfort from the tubes sticking out of my stomach.

I was on Tylenol post surgery, and then switched to Dilaudid because of liver issues it was causing. On several occasions, some nurses would cast a very skeptical eye, when I requested even a small dose of Dilaudid. 'Look, your oxygen intake is x, your other reading is y...do you really need it?' 'Ah yes I do...I've just had my chest sawed open and I'm having trouble sleeping'.

I think there can be an unnecessary aversion/paranoia surrounding 'making the patient feel good'. If the patient can achieve some level of comfort from the medication,(eg get some sleep), it can very well be a good thing. As far as any exaggerated addiction 'concern', I stopped taking pain killers the day I left hospital.

That said, some of the nurses were the sweetest people you could ever wish to meet. A part of me wanted to reach out and be all that I could be.

Ultimately, the experience stripped away all superfluous concerns and made me focus on what really mattered.

During my entire hospital stay I had very strange dreams, assuming as a result of the meds, that I never described to anyone. I wasn't entirely sure they were dreams and I wasn't entirely sure I was asleep. They would bring about overwhelming feelings of déjà vu! Where I was less like a participant and more like an an observer of everything I was experiencing, but not as though it was the first time, not by any means, like I'd gone through this same experience countless times and this was just a flash of one of them in the present. It was super trippy but I felt like I was tapped into something very cosmic and much bigger than myself. It happened repeatedly and made me want to avoid sleep because I didn't like the experience as it made me feel helpless. I could gon on and describe the feeling at length but I'm not sure anyone can understand what I've described thus far?...

Hi almost_hectic - could be an effect of the anaethesia too you'd had during surgery which stays in the body for some time, someone told me weeks ? The anesthetist talked to me the night before surgery about anesthesia and ICU psychosis which I'd read about and was somewhat concerned about as someone on the forum had obviously had it (much older thread). The drugs they give during surgery and in ICU obviously affect the brain, although the doctor went to great lengths to reassure me that it was unliely to happen to me as I wouldn't be 'under' or in ICU that long. Apparently the drugs we're given affect REM sleep, they interfere with it and so a person gets a kind of waking dream which can be psychotic (especially people in ICU for weeks).

almost_hectic;n857793 said:
I felt like I was tapped into something very cosmic and much bigger than myself. It happened repeatedly and made me want to avoid sleep because I didn't like the experience as it made me feel helpless. I could gon on and describe the feeling at length but I'm not sure anyone can understand what I've described thus far?...

I wouldn't easily dismiss it. Lots of people have out of body experiences.

pellicle;n857718 said:
Hi

We sometime exaggerate in Australia and our sense of courtesy is a bit out of sync with the USA or Canada.

I think I figured that out - about 15 minutes after I posted. . .

All in good fun!

BTW, your Bogans scare me as much as some of our political extremists in the US do. I think my brother-in-law may qualify.

Agian;n857803 said:
I wouldn't easily dismiss it. Lots of people have out of body experiences.

It was more about out of time than out of body. I wasn't freaked to be seeing myself as I was to have already seen and experienced the situation. Beats me, very weird.

Hi almost - Just put two and two together and maybe come up with four (or five !) - that Lopressor you're on, beta blockers can cause very vivid dreams, it's one of their side effects. What with that and the other meds and aneasthesia left over from surgery, no wonder.

Paleogirl;n857819 said:
Hi almost - Just put two and two together and maybe come up with four (or five !) - that Lopressor you're on, beta blockers can cause very vivid dreams, it's one of their side effects. What with that and the other meds and aneasthesia left over from surgery, no wonder.

Lots of factors without a doubt! Mostly anasthesia ay work would be my guess

almost_hectic;n857817 said:
It was more about out of time than out of body. I wasn't freaked to be seeing myself as I was to have already seen and experienced the situation. Beats me, very weird.

I've heard the body releases a chemical called DMT in near death type of experiences (see Spirit Molecule on you tube if you haven't already). Paleogirl could be on to something, I didn't like how the beta blocker made me feel psychologically. Morphine can give people bad dreams too.

Back