Hives

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

for 3 days now my Dad is getting hives every few hours. Arms legs and back. My mom took his to the doctors yesterday and all his vitals are good. Doctor gave him topical cream and said to buy benedryl. He is starting the benedryl today. He has his 2nd OHS 2 weeks ago. He now has a cow valve. He's doing ok otherwise except the hives. He is going to see his doc again tomorrow. The only new med he got was Flomax which he stopped yesterday. He's still on all the samE
Meds he was on pre-surgery. Just nervous. My dad said what if the valve is rejecting? Ugh I don't think that's what it is.

When I had urticaria (is that the same as hives ?) earlier this year - extremely itchy rash on my back - it turned out to be related to antibitotics I was on. I'd been on those antibiotics before with no problem, so this kind of reaction can happen any time, not just with new meds. GP gave me Fexofenadine, an antihistamine which worked really well and does not make a person drowsy. Hope your dad gets a good answer from his doc tomorow.

Joanne - For what it is worth, in the 13 years I've been here, I have never heard of anyone having any sort of biologic rejection of a tissue valve. When you really get into the production of the valve, there really is no living tissue left in the valve, and the valves are all treated with all sorts of things to lengthen their service lives, etc., and to ensure that there is no issue with the new host. I'd not worry about rejection. If it was any sort of a real issue, some of us with tissue valves would have been give anti-rejection meds like they give to transplant patients. I've not heard of anyone taking such meds.

There have been cases of early failure of tissue valves, but these are not bodily reactions. Sometimes scar tissue forms and occludes a valve. Sometimes stitching fails. Things do happen, but not biologic rejection.

Joanne, hope he is over the hives, which is from the meds and not tissue valve. Let us know something. Thanks and hugs for today.

Latest posts

Back