Question on Rejection of Mechanical Valve.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

NC-Cutie

Has anyone ever heard of a body rejecting a mechanical valve?

What are the chances?

What are the options if it happens?

Any info site links on it?

My lay understanding is that the body won't reject a mechanical device in the same way it might reject an incompatible tissue valve. But the presence of the foreign object and the hemodynamics of the mechanical design to tend to make the blood clot, which is the reason we all take warfarin.

I second that. I have my own valve, but 2 inches of dacron where my aorta used to be. I was told that there is no risk of rejection of the dacron. But I take an aspirin a day on doc's orders to thin the blood a bit so as to avoid a clot.

I was informed that there was no chance of a rejection of a donar tissue valve.

They said it is just tissue, the body will not reject just tissue.
They explained that an organ is different, because it is living.

Any of us with tissue valves should understand that our donor valve is dead tissue.

Ben

Why do you ask (about possible rejection of a mechanical valve)?

Are you having any describeable symptoms ...

or is this another 'what if' scenario?

You seem to have a lot of unresolved FEARS.

Have you taken ANY steps to deal with those fears?

Did you ever look into Cardiac Rehab for instance?

Or talk with a Professional Counselor?

You seem to ask a LOT of questions, but show no response to the information, suggestions, or recommendations you receive.

Or am I missing something here?

'AL'

I was informed that there was no chance of a rejection of a donar tissue valve
Hi Ben,

Interesting you were told your body wouldn't reject tissue valves. I don't know if you've read any of "surfsparky's" posts, but he is currently dealing with his body rejecting his valve (..a bicuspid homograft - I think???..). He's been told (since) that's this is very rare. Perhaps he will check in here and clarify his situation, but I though it worth mentioning.

Cheers
Anna : )

ALCapshaw2 said:
Why do you ask (about possible rejection of a mechanical valve)?

Are you having any describeable symptoms ...

or is this another 'what if' scenario?

You seem to have a lot of unresolved FEARS.

Have you taken ANY steps to deal with those fears?

Did you ever look into Cardiac Rehab for instance?

Or talk with a Professional Counselor?

You seem to ask a LOT of questions, but show no response to the information, suggestions, or recommendations you receive.

Or am I missing something here?

'AL'
I'm seeing a lot of topics being started by you NC Cutie and very little participation in the ones you've started. Working in health care as you have said prevously, I have to wonder why your asking some of these questions, especially if you see this stuff all the time.

Care to tell me about it? I'm really feeling like we are being trolled here.

Anna,

This was one of my first questions when my whole proccess started. Before I did much research at all..... I was asking about potential rejection.

I would be very interested to hear from surfsparky, I must have missed that thread.

Ben

ShezaGirlie said:
Hoboy!

Al and Ross didn't just get off that turnip truck -- did they?? :D
NC Cutie if your playing games, let this serve as notice that the games need to cease. If you need to come clean, I suggest you do it now and not continue on the current path. We have no problems helping someone wanting help, but we do have problems with people trolling and playing mind games.

I have never done cardiac. I did Peds and now I am doing Acute Care for the Elderly. When patients on our unit get into Cardiac problems they are transfered from the unit to CCU. I am asking questions because I am concerned and I want to hear if anyone who has actually experienced these things can tell me. Yes, I still have fears, I will admit. My fears are getting better and No, I have not started Cardiac Rehab. They sent me the info and I found out that the sessions are held on Mon, Wed and Fri's from 730 am until 830 am. I will be returning to work on Monday and my work hours are 630 am until 3 pm. so I can not make the sessions.

I'm sorry if I am upsetting you guys. I am just interested and even though I do have access to a lot of info at the hospital, I find it more helpful to ask my questions here because I know that you are people who have "Been There Done That."

I have found out through my job from dealing with patients and their family members that "We" as medical professionals, have the knowledge, but very few have the "Experience." And that makes a difference.

2 neurotic n (1896) 1: one affected with a neurosis 2: an emotionally unstable individual

Hey Ben,

Hmmmmm, I'm trying to remember if "surfsparky" mentioned this on-line or if it was in one of our emails. Being that he's a fellow Aussie we've been in touch outside the forum, but he might have something there if you pull up all the posts by him.

Again, this is a very rare reaction. I was told, however, that I would be on anti-rejection drugs in the first week or so following a tissue valve replacement. I don't know if this is "standard procedure", or if it's just through the surgeon I was talking to.

Cheers
Anna : )

Latest posts

Back