Swelling From Leg Vein Graft Harvest?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JimChicago

A question about bypass vein graft - I had bypass surgery as well as the valves - they used my leg vein for the graft and made 3 incisions on the inner side of my leg - since the surgery directly under the lowest incision (just below my knee) there has been swelling - I mentioned it to nurses in the hospital and my doctor and they didn't see to think it was an issue - I was wondering if it's common to have swelling just under where the vein used to be when they harvest a vein from one's leg?

An Uncle of mine had the same deal. Seems a small amount of fluid gets in there and is slow to absorb. It happens to him frequently, so I would think that it is normal. Lets see what others have to say.

Jim, I had quad bypass Mar, 2000. I, too, have swelling. They told me that once the saphenous vein is removed, the blood must find a new route so there will be some swelling and that I might always have some. I do, to this day and it's now such a common thing I don't notice til the ankle area/lower leg tingles. Then I just put the foot up for awhile. When I wake up in the am the swelling process begins again, but it isn't bad swelling. Only I would notice - and maybe the dr upon inspection. Something you will have to just live with. I had four sections from groin right down to the ankle removed.

legs

legs

most leg graft pts have these kind of experiences. Try reading about colateral circulation.

Med

Thanks for your comments. It does make sense that if they took the vein out and there's a 'dead end' that I suppose the blood can pool there .

hensylee gives a great description. Everything she says is common. Almost all patients with a leg incision for vein removal will have some swelling (edema). Some have more, some have very little. One thing I've noticed is that patients who have been very physically active prior to surgery seem to have less swelling.

Usually the swelling goes down over time (several months to a year) but if you're up on your feet all day, it will typically come back, even if you're many years out from surgery.

But the bottom line is that the swelling doesn't have any long term adverse effects and its presence doesn't mean anything bad is going on.

I had my Aortic valve replaced Jan 2003, my left groin area was used for the heart/lung machine. So I havea somewaht large and uncomfotable incision there. I wasnt having much of a problem until Aug, when i woke up with swelling in my foot. Now i cant get the swelling to go away. It goes down if I wear support stockings and stay off my foot, but its very annoying. I hope I dont have lymphedema. I am going to see a vascular Doctor. Hopefully he can help with the problem. But the support stckings help a a lot, I definately recommend those.

I'll jump in here too. When I had my AVR and triple bypass two years ago, they used my mamary arteries and Haversted my leg veins with Minumally invasive surgery from my lefy leh just near the bend of my knee. I have a very very tiny scar about 1" long that is totally invisible.For the first week or two after I returned home I had a huge amount of swelling in my leg..so much that Allan had to help me lift it to elevate it if I was sitting on the couch. The swelling then went down dramatically and today I have no problem with edema at all. I know that many surgeons are now harvesting the veins the same way. I would certainly encourage anyone needing bypass surgery to ask their surgeon to harvest this way.
Joan Seide
AVR,Triple bypass Duke University Sept.25,2000
St Jude Toronto Stentless Porcine Valve

Jim, I had quad bypass Mar, 2000. I, too, have swelling. They told me that once the saphenous vein is removed, the blood must find a new route so there will be some swelling and that I might always have some. I do, to this day and it's now such a common thing I don't notice til the ankle area/lower leg tingles. Then I just put the foot up for awhile. When I wake up in the am the swelling process begins again, but it isn't bad swelling. Only I would notice - and maybe the dr upon inspection. Something you will have to just live with. I had four sections from groin right down to the ankle removed.

Thanks for letting me in on this forum. I stumbled onto this post (Search Engines)
I've been wondering if having leg problems (Pain, Swelling, numbness) is common long after surgery and its appears its nothing unusual. I was told that whatever you've got around 6 months after surgery is what your stuck with and I've found that to be true.

For what its worth I had Quad Bypass one year ago (Yippie I'm doing ok) and have had leg problems since the surgery. They did (I'm told) a lot of digging around trying to find suitable veins. Anyway, I want to put in a word for compression stockings. The one thing I don't see mentioned is fitting. Getting measured by an expert is (I think) really important.

And as to prescriptions - If you go above 15-20 mmHg you need a prescription. And its a good idea your GP does it. Plus insurance covered a couple pair in my case (Every year) Finding a brand / type you like is another reason to see a fitter. Thigh highs (For me) just don't work. They roll down. Some of the tights (unisex pantyhose) bunch up behind the knees. Jobst is probably the best in terms of sticking on like glue and not causing knee bunching. Ames Walker does a house brand that (I think) is pretty good also.

It makes a huge difference if your on your feet all day.

I didn't see if anyone uses Lasix after surgery (Long term?) I rarely use Lasix (The constant need to pee) but its good to have around if it gets really bad.

A heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you found the site , there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future ...I had CABGx5 and Mitral repair 5 yrs ago but many members here still think of CABG as the veggie and we all know veggies give you warts LOL Most of the family members here undergo Valve replacement or repairs

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...4&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...t-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...al-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies as mentioned above and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf

Last edited:
I wanted to do an update. a year ago my wife and I went to Florida which is swimming trunks weather and I thought it might be time to just forget doing compression for the edema. The idea being that I don't have edema when I'm wearing compression stockings so maybe I don't need them any more... Well the reason I wanted to post again after 3 years is both my feel swelled up to where my ankles went missing. Pushing in to see if I could find them I learned I have pitting edema. I should note that the surgeons who did the vein harvesting passed along a note that they were sorry but they have to do a lot of digging to find suitable veins. So maybe I'm the exception? I'm not sure. But if anyone else is wondering if edema can be a long time issue I'm one case where it was. Oh! I also wanted to put in a good word for those wedges you put at the foot of the bed to elevate your feet whilst sleeping.

Back