Scar is still red and slightlyl raised...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moo La La

5 months post op and my scar is pink and slightly raised in some places. Is it supposed to be flat and lightening up by now, or do I need to patiently wait to see what happens. Also, doc says it's fine to be in sun as long as I use sunscreen. When I am in sun even with SPF 55 on my scar it is super sensitive to the sun. Feels like it's burning. Is this normal? I am PROUD of my scar, but I don't want it to be gnarly looking.

PS I tried Mederma, but I dont like the snail trail dried stuff it leaves behind and it cracks causing discomfort, I like the feel of vitamin e oil, as it moisturizes but I am young and still prone to breakouts and it seems to cause a little chest acne...I tried simple paper tape per docs, but I'm not sure how long to leave it on for and it doesnt feel very good when I peel it off. It also leaves my skin pink and irritated for few hours after removal. Has anyone tried the silicone sheets for their scar? They dont seem to be a good physical fit for this type of scar.

Also, the scar is ITCHY, especially in the heat and when i'm wearing a bra. Is this normal, will this go away????

Thank you!

Thanks!!

Hey, i've had four lots of OHS and i have always had a raised and pink scar, it's never flattened down or went white lmao :D xxx

Moo, especially during the first year, I found that a lot of things irritated the surface of the scar itself so I limited care to soap and water. At almost two years it is a little more pale than shown in the photo that Gregg attached from my previous post. I can't really feel the scar itself but the tissues have healed creating a little "valley" which I can easily feel. I think you just have to give it time.

Larry

Moo La La:
I have a very similar condition such as yours. was just going to post a question when I saw your post. I am 6 weeks post op. Until 2 days ago, I was using surgical tape and cotton to reduce the irritation; then I realized that the irritation and the redness may be due to my peeling off the surgical tape. I have a few chest acne around the scar where the tape was but thankfully none actually on the scar. I have stopped using the tape. Tried cortizone cream this morning. seems to have some soothing effect. I just hope it is not verboten to use cortizone around the scar.
If this doesn't work, I will try Vitamin E oil and possibly silicone sheets thereafter.

One of my first posts here nearly 8 years ago involved my incision. It looked like a utility line in the street that had been reworked -- you know, before traffic flattens it out again. The thickened red tissue gradually "broke down," you might say, and is very soft.
I would suggest the vitamin E oil. Or some baby lotion.

5 months post op and my scar is pink and slightly raised in some places. Is it supposed to be flat and lightening up by now, or do I need to patiently wait to see what happens. Also, doc says it's fine to be in sun as long as I use sunscreen. When I am in sun even with SPF 55 on my scar it is super sensitive to the sun. Feels like it's burning. Is this normal? I am PROUD of my scar, but I don't want it to be gnarly looking.

PS I tried Mederma, but I dont like the snail trail dried stuff it leaves behind and it cracks causing discomfort, I like the feel of vitamin e oil, as it moisturizes but I am young and still prone to breakouts and it seems to cause a little chest acne...I tried simple paper tape per docs, but I'm not sure how long to leave it on for and it doesn't feel very good when I peel it off. It also leaves my skin pink and irritated for few hours after removal. Has anyone tried the silicone sheets for their scar? They dont seem to be a good physical fit for this type of scar.

Also, the scar is ITCHY, especially in the heat and when i'm wearing a bra. Is this normal, will this go away????

Thank you!

Thanks!!

Could it be possible that your allergic to the adhesive? I have the same reaction with even with paper tape.
Have you tried Bio Oil?

Mine was as red as a beet, I think most are this soon out of surgery ... the advice and help offered are very good ... mine now is almost unnoticeable ... time, it take time....

I am three months post-op, my scar doesn't look all that great - a raised pinkish-red line for most of it's length, with a lumpy dark area at the very bottom. Most of the time I can't feel it but several times a day it decides to "play up" on me for no good reason, with a variety of sensations from stinging to sore to itchy... it drives me nuts sometimes!

On the suggestion of my cardiac rehab nurse I am trying some Bio Oil twice a day on it. It's been 3 weeks now, there's barely any difference. *shrug* The instructions say to use it for 3 months at least - I'm not holding my breath, I just take the view that it can't do any harm and may at least help with desensitising the area with the regular massaging it gets and perhaps helping to keep the new skin supple... we'll see if the consistency and colour of the scar improves at all.

I don't think there's much else we can realistically do except wait. :cool2:

Almost a year later mine is also a bit red and itchy. I started using Coco butter and it helps so far.

I think I may have an answer to the chest acne issue. When I saw my cardio a couple of weeks ago, he looked at it and instantly said it was folliculitis and is caused by shaving before the surgery. As hair starts growing back sometimes it tends to cause this folliculitis and he said it would go away soon. Well, I did some googling and found out that selenium helps in curing such tyoe of acne especially on the scalp."Selsun Blue" has selenium in it and that is what I usually use as my shampoo. I started using it on my chest area as awell and Voila all the acne was gone in a matter of a couple of days. Hope this works for everyone else too.

Latest posts

Back