How long after surgery did you wait before you had a glass of wine or beer?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosebud54

I will be 4 weeks post ops next Tuesday. I'm going out to dinner next weekend and am apprehensive about drinking.

Carol

I will be 4 weeks post ops next Tuesday. I'm going out to dinner next weekend and am apprehensive about drinking.

Carol

I wouldn't worry about ONE glass of wine or beer. I was prescribed a 12oz beer each evening while I was in the hospital. The docs told me it would help me get rid of water. If in doubt, call you PCP.

I had a glass of wine after both surgeries within 3 or 4 days after arriving home. I enjoy a glass from time to time and none of my doctors ever discouraged the small amount I drink. Moderation is the key.

I probably waited about a month, but only because I didn't feel well due to some afib probs and then getting used to the new meds for that. As soon as the afib was behind me I felt good enough to want a drink and did.

I waited 3-4 weeks after surgery to have any wine, but mostly due to the way I felt, not health concerns. I don't think one glass of wine, even one a day, is something to worry about. I would like to hear others' thoughts on this as well, though!

I waited close to 8 weeks, but as others have said, it was because of how I felt - not health concerns. Of course I didn't do it half way - at week 8 I had a vodka and tonic. Felt fine.

Also, I did ask my cardio about having a glass of wine with dinner, and was told there was no problem in doing that. They felt that it might also help with sleep.

I'd worry more about doing silly things AFTER the drink, than the drink itself. If you're on ACT, there is a weak effect of alcohol on INR, maybe immediately in one direction and eventually in the other? Moderate drinkers seem to live longer and healthier than tee-totallers.

I had a drink a month after surgery, just make sure you are not taking any tylenol or pain killers that can damage your liver. Moderation of course is the key, drink some water in between drinks to substitute for to much alcohol intake.
Have one for me, I like a white Bordeaux myself:) Have fun Carol and enjoy!

WERE WE SUPPOSED TO WAIT ???
lgon106l.jpg

DANG

I am 8 days out and was thinking of having one pint of Guiness tonight on Christmas Eve. My biggest concern is the Warafin and the other meds. Do you guys think one pint will mess with my INR or cause other issues?

Thanks,
Jeff

You are going to be living with coumadin the rest of your life.
You need to find the limits you can enjoy and still maintain a safe INR.
To have one pint of beer is perfectly reasonable and your dosage of coumadin should be adjusted if you find, at your next testing, that your body reacts to it. Some people drink two and three glasses with no impact on their INR. Others have slight changes. The only way to know how you will react is to slowly, and MODERATELY have a pint and see what you test a few days later. If you want that to be in your life for the future, you need to gradually add it to your normal routine and adjust your dosage accordingly.

I don't think one pint is going to have any dangerous effect one way or the other.
All of my doctors were totally supportive of my having a glass or two of wine when I wished during the time I was on coumadin. I only took coumadin for under three months but nevertheless all my doctors knew it and fully approved.

I can't remember how long I stayed away from it; whatever my cardiologist recommended.

But I do remember it was long enough that the next time I had a Cadillac (Gran Marnier) Margarita at my favorite Mexican Restaurant -- and they do an extraordinarily fine job on them -- I only got half-way through it :eek2:

I think coffee was the real biggie that my cardio wanted me to stay away from. I was on decaf (except for sneaking some lattes) until a year post-op when some of our guests balked at it.

But if you're cleared for wine by all your doctors, I echo what Judy said, "Moderation."

Latest posts

Back