On-X LTI 15 Years of Clinical Excellence On-X LTI 15 Years of Clinical Excellence

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Welcome to the New VR.org!

Thank you for your patience while we continue to fine tune the site. All paid registrations will be extended for whatever duration of time it takes us to get things working properly.
See more
See less

How long after surgery did you wait before you had a glass of wine or beer?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long after surgery did you wait before you had a glass of wine or beer?

I will be 4 weeks post ops next Tuesday. I'm going out to dinner next weekend and am apprehensive about drinking.

Carol

Originally posted by Rosebud54 View Post
    I will be 4 weeks post ops next Tuesday. I'm going out to dinner next weekend and am apprehensive about drinking.

Carol
    I wouldn't worry about ONE glass of wine or beer. I was prescribed a 12oz beer each evening while I was in the hospital. The docs told me it would help me get rid of water. If in doubt, call you PCP.
    Starr-Edwards mechanical AVR 1967 at age 31.....University of Kentucky Med. Ctr., Drs. Richard Wood & Gordon Danielson surgeons. No surgery (heart or otherwise) since. On Warfarin ACT since surgery with no diet, lifestyle, or activity restrictions....and I live one day at a time.

Comment

I had a glass of wine after both surgeries within 3 or 4 days after arriving home. I enjoy a glass from time to time and none of my doctors ever discouraged the small amount I drink. Moderation is the key.

Comment

I probably waited about a month, but only because I didn't feel well due to some afib probs and then getting used to the new meds for that. As soon as the afib was behind me I felt good enough to want a drink and did.
        Doug, Bi-cuspid Aortic Valve
        AVR Jul 27, 2010
        Mayo Clinic, Dr Daly

Comment

I waited 3-4 weeks after surgery to have any wine, but mostly due to the way I felt, not health concerns. I don't think one glass of wine, even one a day, is something to worry about. I would like to hear others' thoughts on this as well, though!
          BAV...AVR March 7th, 2011 / Carbomedics mechanical 25mm
          Ascending Aortic Aneurysm replaced with Dacron at same time
          Sanford Heart, Fargo, ND, Dr. Roxanne Newman

Comment

I waited close to 8 weeks, but as others have said, it was because of how I felt - not health concerns. Of course I didn't do it half way - at week 8 I had a vodka and tonic. Felt fine.

Also, I did ask my cardio about having a glass of wine with dinner, and was told there was no problem in doing that. They felt that it might also help with sleep.
            Go Class of 2011!

Steve Epstein
            9 Years in The Waiting Room, then on February 28, 2011,
            AVR with 23mm Edwards Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve, Model 3300TFX, Pacemaker - Boston Scientific Altrua 60 DDDR IS-1 and CABG (LIMA-LAD) at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago by Dr. Patrick McCarthy and the most wonderful team of professionals I could ask for.

Comment

It took me about a week and a half...only because I was not up for having before that.
              AVR, horse valve with Aorta Reinforcement with Dacron Strip on June 21st, 2010
              University of Chicago - Dr. Jai Raman

Comment

I waited 6 -8 months or longer. Just because I was afraid. Always though my heart is still in the process of healing.
                sigpic
                Brigham and Women Hopsital -Dr.Shekar OHS- June 1,09
                AVR-St.Jude Mechanical Valve. (25VAVGJ-515)
                Ascending/Transverse Arch Aortic Replacement

Nelson

Comment

I'd worry more about doing silly things AFTER the drink, than the drink itself. If you're on ACT, there is a weak effect of alcohol on INR, maybe immediately in one direction and eventually in the other? Moderate drinkers seem to live longer and healthier than tee-totallers.
                  BAV, extended ARoot, some MV damage.
                  68 y.o. (65 @OHS), keen active athlete until shortly pre-op, only symptomatic 1-2 months pre-op.
                  AVR (Medtronics Hancock II) Dec. 1 2010 w/ Dr. C.M. Feindel at UHN aka Toronto General. Also a "tuck" on the Aortic root, and a (Dacron) Medtronics Simplici-T ring on my MV. I did ACT for 3 months for the ring, and Metoprolol (BB) for 3 months for A-fib.

Comment

Thanks for all the inputs. I haven't felt like any drinks but I want to be prepared.

Carol

Comment

Well, then. . . maybe a drink or two would help. . .
                      Go Class of 2011!

Steve Epstein
                      9 Years in The Waiting Room, then on February 28, 2011,
                      AVR with 23mm Edwards Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve, Model 3300TFX, Pacemaker - Boston Scientific Altrua 60 DDDR IS-1 and CABG (LIMA-LAD) at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago by Dr. Patrick McCarthy and the most wonderful team of professionals I could ask for.

Comment

I'm day 5 post-op. I can't even imagine how low my tolerance is right now!
                        Birth - diagnosed with BAV with Regurgitation.
                        September 2010 - Eccho reveals worsening BAV.
                        December 2010 - Endocarditis

Comment

I think I waited for about a month. I lost the taste for alcohol and biscuits and chocolate - bizarre!
                          But the taste is back now ..
                          Successful Ross Procedure on Feb 22, 2011 at Epworth Private Hospital, Melbourne - surgeon Peter Skillington
                          Congenital bicuspid aortic valve/ 1972 - PDA/1979 - Coarctation aorta repair

I made it! :biggrin2:

Comment

I had a drink a month after surgery, just make sure you are not taking any tylenol or pain killers that can damage your liver. Moderation of course is the key, drink some water in between drinks to substitute for to much alcohol intake.
                            Have one for me, I like a white Bordeaux myself Have fun Carol and enjoy!
                            [CENTER][COLOR="red"][FONT="Georgia"]Jeff Beck[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER] Feb. 25, 2011. St. Jude 25mm Regent MAV, Dr. S. Wang, U of A Hospital, Edmonton, AB
                            "You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Comment

WERE WE SUPPOSED TO WAIT ???

DANG
                              [CENTER][B][U]Live ,Love, Laugh
                              It's all good[/U][/B]
                              [IMG]http://files.vector-images.com/clipart/smiley190.gif[/IMG]
                              [SIZE="3"][B][U]READ ABOUT ME HERE [/U][/B][/SIZE]
                              [B][U]2007 [/U][/B][URL="http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?35064-Radical-Sternectomy&p=453639#post453639"]http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?35064-Radical-Sternectomy&p=453639#post453639[/URL]
                              [B][U]My MEDS [/U][/B] [URL="http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?37469-meds&p=487171#post487171"]http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?37469-meds&p=487171#post487171[/URL]
                              [IMG]http://netanimations.net/Moving-animated-police-chase-and-gun-fight.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/images/smilies/10_1_112.gif[/IMG] [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X