Caffeine(Coffee) and Metoprolol Okay?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmyup7

Caffeine(Coffee) and Metoprolol okay?

Im on a mechenical valve and currently taking Metroprolol.

Is it a huge issue if a drink like one measley small cup of coffee in the morning?

It won't chemically react with the Metoprolol, if that's the concern.

However, most people have some reaction to coffee, in terms of heart rate or arrhythmia. If you have arrhythmia or heart rate problems, or very recently had your OHS, regular coffee is not a good bet for you. If you're taking the Metoprolol just for blood pressure, maybe not so bad.

It can be noted that not everyone does react that way to caffeine, and not to the same extent. Yet there's no question that for some people, the coffee could undo the value of the metoprolol as an anti-arrhythmic.

So, you should ask your doctor. That's the smart thing to do.

If he or she is not absolutely against it, try a few sips of half-decaf, and see what happens over the next hour. Many of us do drink some coffee despite the debatable risk (I take my BP meds with coffee most ayems). I did start out on half-decaf after surgery, though.

Again, if you have had arrhythmia issues or heart rate issues, or if there is an unrecognized tendency toward them, there is a risk of starting them up by getting your morning cuppa java. The smart thing is to ask your doctor first, because he or she knows your heart history.

Best wishes,

Bob's reasoning is good with me. I'm taking metoprolol (and other drugs) for BP and (initially at least) HR control. I drink the equivalent of a double expresso in the morning; none any other time. It has no effect on my BP or HR, although it might for some people. They had coffee on the menu in cardiac stepdown at Stanford.

What Bob said. If you need a beta blocker, it probably doesn't serve you best to use caffeine. I've read some accounts of people nearly dying or actually dying from caffeine intake. These are rare cases, but it happens.

Common sense rules here. If you love coffee in the morning you start out with a small amount and/or use half decaf and see how you react. Take your BP and pulse before and after dose of caffeine. If you do not notice a a measurable increase then increase the amount a bit more and keep doing that until you reach the level of caffeine that does not affect your BP or HR negatively. I used to drink a lot of coffee (about a pot a day on average) back before my 1st surgery in 2004, but now I only drink one diet pepsi a day as my morning "wake up" drink. Occasionally I will still have a cup or two of coffee on a rough morning though. I think it really depends on how you react with caffeine, but I'm pretty sure it will not reduce your BP or heart rate. It's a matter of how much, if any, it raises it. IMO anyone who has had valve surgery would like to keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't affecting them negatively.

I use Toprol at night to lower my HR and thus tires me and helps me to sleep better. Yet, on some mornings, when I enjoy a good cup of coffee I tend to take half of my Toprol dose to lower my HR which went up due to caffeine.

I, personally, avoid all kinds of stimulants. My heart has been high without stimulants.

As others advised you, I too encourage you to get your doc's opinion. Good luck.

Last edited:
Everyone is different ... I take 25mg each morning and I also drink 3-4 cups of coffee with no problems ... I had ablation at the same time as my AVR and my cardiologist wanted me off of caffeine to guard against my a-fib returning, I just could not do it ... I drink tea all during the day as well and have had no issues for five years...

We are not medical professionals, ask you doctor if you are concerned....

Caffeine(Coffee) and Metoprolol okay?

Im on a mechenical valve and currently taking Metroprolol.

Is it a huge issue if a drink like one measley small cup of coffee in the morning?

Depends on how you define it I guess

giant-coffee-cup.jpg

I was taken completly off caffeine after my Atrial flutter. My heart was shocked back into rhythm. I was taken off Metoprolol and put on Sotalol. I stay fatigued and sleepy. I wonder if the change in medication is causing these symptoms.

A very large number of cardiac patients take metoprolol (toprol xl) and caffeine coffee was offered at all meals during both my Mass General stays on Cardiac Floor.

My doctors were fine with my having caffeine if I wanted it but I don't drink it.

I second what TobagoTwo said. I drank 2-4 cups of coffee a day while on metoprolol and had no problem. Doctors did not tell me specifically to avoid caffeine. However, that might be different for some other folks. While it is interesting to get the experiences of others, it is best to check with the doctor on questions like this.

I too was on Metoprolol (25mg x 2/d) for 3 months post-op and never stopped drinking caff coffee in the AM, including post-op in the hospital. Things went quite well, dunno if they would have gone even BETTER without the caff, but not sure I care.

I'm on metoprolol too. I was given decaffinated coffee in the hospital and was told only to drink decaffinated. I forgot the other day and drank a coke...my HR went up and I did not feel well.

Carol

Latest posts

Back