Loss of taste after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anne casey

My mother had BAV surgery 14 months ago and still hasn't regained her loss of taste. Drs. tell her that this happens sometimes and that it will come back and that they don't know why it happens. Any one else experience this? Can we still hold out hope that it will return? Drs. say it isn't because of the presc. that she takes either.

My dad lost his sense of taste after he had a mild stroke. The loss of taste was the only effect of the stroke. Any chance she could have had one?

I'm nowhere near as far along after surgery, but I can say for sure that my sense of taste has changed. I taste things, they just taste different. Hmmm. . . maybe this will help me to lose a few pounds?

If you read my history you will know that I was intubaled for far longer than normal but still knew how bad the food was
shock.gif

Anne,a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family to both you and your mom
highs.gif

Loss of taste with surgery

Loss of taste with surgery

I have been through two valve replacements with no affect to my taste buds.
However I recently had abdominal surgery for intestinal blockage and my sense of taste changed noticeably. Everything tasted awful. Things returned to normal in about two weeks. I think it was the anesthesia.

thanks everyone for the information and concern. I'm really glad I finally found this support website! After my mom's surgery last year, we have learned that it can be heredity and have also found out (quite by accident) that our 15 yr. old son was born with BAV and currently has mild/moderate stenosis. He can participate in sports yet, but we know that the day will come for surgery. It's tough to explain this all to a teenager....but we try to keep it simple, factual and positive. I had an echo last week and see the dr. tomorrow to find out if I have it. Then our other 2 children need to be screened. It's comforting to read your stories. Otherwise you feel so alone. thanks! Anne

My nephew-in-law -- who has no known cardiac issues -- lost his sense of taste last summer or fall. I haven't gotten an update on whether he still is having a problem with it.
I lost my sense of taste for a short while post-op. I still have some problems with sense of taste -- can't drink water w/out doctoring it heavily with lime or lemon. Ditto with iced tea. All since my MVR.

After my first surgery it took close to a month before things started tasting right again...even my favorite foods. After my latest surgery (2-22-11) my taste buds were working fine 5 days later after I got home and away from the hospital food.

One thing I've noticed - it seems that foods with artificial sweeteners (diet soda particularly) only taste good for part of the glass right now (about 2.5 weeks after surgery). Foods with sugar or natural sweeteners seem fine. My appetite isn't fully back to normal, but food does taste good.

There's hope yet for enjoying your food!

Latest posts

Back