Pericardial Rub

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImAPilot

Hi. Has anyone experience of the following:

When breathing in, my heartbeat becomes louder, untill it sounds like knocking on my breastbone. It sometimes occurs (lightly) just by sitting up). I'm about 2 weeks post-op.

The cardio has dismissed it as a pericardial rub, but I'm not so sure. To me it sounds like the valve (CE Bovine 27mm) rubbing against the back of my breastbone. If it is (pericardial rub), how long can I expect it to be like this, and does it cause any damage. If not, what else could it be.

Regards
Walter

from thoracic ct scans i've seen of different people, the valve itself is too far away from the breast bone to rub against it. There was one other guy here that complained of a similar phenomenon and it drove him absolutely nuts... to the point of seeking out a few different opinions and considering another OHS (if I remember correctly).

I am 6 weeks post-op and I also have the same sensation as you describe. I saw my cardiologist today and she said that it will eventually go away but couldn't predict a timeframe. Sometimes it does drive me nuts, though. I finally have my post-op visit with the surgeon next Tuesday so will also get his opinion.

Settling Down?

Settling Down?

It does take a while for things to settle down after OHS. Your body is pretty traumatized by what it's been through. Give it some time to adjust.

-Philip

Yep, me, too. But I'm now 4 months post op, and noticing the increased noise upon inhalation less and less these days. Although it may never go away. Breathing in just changes the sonics, and position of the organs, etc.

I'm 4 1/2 months post-op and sometimes I still get that when breathing in while laying on my stomach. They used to tell me it was plueral rub now they think it is just my sternum being "creaky"

Latest posts

Back