How long after surgery did you need or use your prescription pain medication?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malibu82

Hey everyone....

I was just curious. How long after surgery did you need your prescription pain medication? I called my cardiologist for a refill today (because of course I couldn't get through to Northwestern Memorial for one) and the nurse told me my doctor was shocked that I needed pain meds 3 weeks out from surgery.

I am still having a lot of weird pains and aches. Like I mentioned in another post, my sternum hurts. My left side shoulder REALLLLLLLY hurts and the pain is only relieved if its being massaged or with a pain med. I still have fevers so I am trying to tame that. And I get headaches. So I didn't think it was weird to ask for a refill. But if I shouldn't be using them this far out, I don't want to.

So please tell me, how long did you use yours?

Also I can't remember if I asked this already but my right side of my chest is numb at the surface from the incision over to my armpit area. Some times there are twinges of pain there too. Anyone get this after surgery? Did it go away?

Thanks!

jackie

I began using Tylenol on the third day after surgery. In these past months, I have mostly needed an analgesic [Aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen] in the evening when one is more likely to feel all of the achey places.

I never had any numbness in the chest. Mine went the other way when in week four the skin became hypersensitive to any touch centered around my chest incision. I started desensitizing routines but it remained a problem for about 6 weeks.

Larry

Last edited:
I used 5 mg oxycodone 1-3 times a day for about a week after discharge. I have had no fevers or headaches or any other problems. I used motrin 1-3 times a day for another week. I have not needed anything since. Last time I did not need even motrin after discharge. From what I understand though, I have very easy recoveries. Have you tried heating pads for your shoulder. Heat really helped me a lot. I have one of those pads that you heat in the microwave for a couple of minutes. It really helped the muscles in my chest, shoulders and back.

Debbie

this post blows my mind. i should be sleeping instead of reading like every post here. but i can't believe some of the replies. 11 years ago, i was still taking oxycodone 3 weeks after and only sort of shuffling about. i can't believe in some cases, docs don't even give pain meds for this surgery anymore? ~mind blown~

Every person is different and every surgery is different. There is no "correct" answer to this question because it all depends.....With that in mind, I think there are two points to consider about your post.

#1- I think that those that respond, particularly early, to this post are going to be more likely those that took pain meds for either a short time or a long time becasue they have a more interesting story to tell. I know when I saw your post I was "proud" to think that I only took narcotics for one day post op, when in actuality I was just lucky enough to not be in much pain. That puts me in the group with the short time. It would be helpful to do a study that actually checks how many narcotic pills the "average" open heart patient takes post op. Maybe something like that is out there. But that would be a challenge to get good information without bias.

#2 - Every day on narcotics is one day closer to becoming addicted. If I am reading between the lines of your question, I would guess that is why you are asking the question. I don't know much about addiction, and don't know how long it takes to happen, but I think that is very variable as well. For that reason, I my plan going out was to find alternatives to narcotics as early as possible and put up with minor discomfort. My GI system certainly appreciated it!! - Please also keep in mind that there are side effects from too much Motrin or Tylenol, so work with your doctors to help determine the right amounts of meds to keep your pain managed.

I was given Morphine, Paracetemol and Codeine in hospital. The Morphine was for just over 2 days and then it was paracetemol and codeine. Now, after 19 weeks I only get pains if I overdo the exercises. If they last I have a couple of Paracetemol. I found that the operation aches lasted about 3 weeks but declining in severity. I must add that at no time have I felt in acute pain and now with quite heavy exercises they are nothing much. I was told in hospital that if I had any pain to tell them as there is no need to suffer these days.

Jackie - I didn't like the feeling the oxycodone or vicodin gave me so tried to get off it as soon as I could. But that could very well be just me. I switched over to tylenol only probably around week 3 or so I think. If I would have been able to tolerate the weird feelings better, I would DEFINITELY not been shy to ask for a refill. So if it's helping you, tell them to take a flying leap and give you a flipping refill!!!

My surgery was two days prior to yours. I take motrin during the day and I take tylenol with codeine at night. I find I need the stronger medicine at night, or I get into positions that wake me up much more frequently.

thanks everyone. i'm going to switch to motrin only for a few days and see what happens!

What worked best for Justin after the first week or so (unless he was having complications) was just to take OTC during the day, and take one of his pain pills before he went to bed. It helped him sleep a little more and if he rolled ect he didn't wake up in as much pain.
When he left the hospital, I had to argue because I wanted him to hve a weeks worth of pain meds just in case he needed them, theywanted to just give a couple days worth. I told them I rather him have them and not take them , then be in pain during the night or weekend and have to wait hours to get more. I won.

Jacquie,

we are all diferent and we all have all had a variance on similar surgery and different tolerances for pain...echoguy probably said it best in my view. That being said the surgeons had to do some damge to get in there and fix things, they may have been expediant to get it done and it may explain why some have more pain than others

In mys case, went home from hospital with a good supply of Oxycodone and Ttylonol, with the continued recommendation to take them as needed to remain active, walk and use the spyro.

In my case never really needed them, as have discomfort, not pain...only exception was coughing in 1st 10 day post op and yeah the sneezing thing (Andy was right), sneezing not much fun...but since arrival at home have weened myself off the pepper somewhat, as I was an addict for food falvouring, but easier to ween of pepper than to sneeze...sneezing is really my only source of pain.

Now also my sternum was cemented using Kryptonite and that may be another difference.

In my case current greatest discomfort is the itching thing on torso and a tightness at upper part of incision...but am really careful about lifting anything or making sudden movements...maybe the aches are related to the fever that you are still trying to control...hope the pros can enlighten you on Tuesday?

I came home with an Rx for 30 5mg oxycodone. I took about half of them in the first two weeks, so I guess that averages out to about 1 per day. I did not have a sternotomy, but when I was home I noticed that reaching for things and using my right arm would give me a bit of soreness, but nothing in the way of bad pain. I used the rest of them to help me fall asleep when I went through a serious bout of insomnia in March and April, which I probably wasn't supposed to have done, but they always put me to sleep in about an hour.

What's up with the fever. Does the Doctor know your still running one . Could be cause for the headaches . Everyone is differenct with pain some have higher pain tolerences and some not. Do what's best for you and if your not comfortable taking the pain meds talk to Doc about something difference or alternating with Motrin & Meds. I get the numbess too they say it will go with time.

Be Well

thanks again everyone. i think what i am going to do is take motrin during the day, then motrin and vicodin before bed and when i wake up because that is when i am most in pain. i'm telling you ever since this crappy weather rolled in i am having pain in my sternum. for the first two weeks my sternum was fine. it's not really like oh god it hurts, its more like achy and painful at times.

sweetbanker, who knows what is up with the fever, i will find out on tuesday i have a doctor appt!

I was told by my cardiologist that it is normal for younger patients to have more pain. He said that it had something to do with the nerves being younger and more sensitive (I'm 29). I find myself having severe upper back pain when I stand for more than ten minutes. If I had more pain meds I would take them before I would go walking, but since I don't I just haven't been walking as much as I would like to. Both the surgeon and the cardio said that the back pain was normal though.

As to the fever, it could potentially be due to narcotic withdrawal.

Latest posts

Back