Thumping in chest

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 3 weeks out at my follow up with the surgeon I asked him about the hard heartbeat I was having (thumping). He said the heart got used to working harder to compensate for the leaky valve. And that in time it would calm down.I am 9 weeks out now and it still thumps but, is starting to get better (as he said it would).

That's exactly what my surgeon said as well. I'm now 7 weeks and it is definately getting better.

A few of us get this thumping. For some it gets away, for some it remains or even increases with a stronger heart.

I have started running again, and with a stronger heart and low rest pulse (50), the thumping while trying to go to bed is really dramatic, sometimes making it hard for my wife to go to sleep. The whole bed rocks.

Somehow, I am still more comfortable with it now than the first few months.

You can search for the threads started by Seth for some more thorough study into the subject.

::g

at 4+ month post op the thumping has eased quite a bit. I'm completely off Metropolol now too, which I think also helps. It was annoying to begin with, but either I've gotten used to it, or it's diminished because I only notice it rarely now and it doesn't keep me from sleeping all night.

Latest posts

Back