Multaq (dronedarone)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David L

After 9 months of normal sinus rhythm, my A-fib came back with a vengeance tuesday morning the 27th. After a trip to the ER I was sent to my new cardio for followup. He immediately took me off the amiodarone I had been on. Then he asked if I would like to try a new drug Multaq. Anything but amiodarone I told him. He even gave 6 days of free samples. Because they only have a half life of 24 hours you have to take 400MG each morning and evening. You better have good insurance because they're $7 for each pill, but mine were a $30 co-pay. I was told there will be no generic for 15 years!

Anyway, I'm still in A-fib, but I can't even feel it like I used to in the past, so maybe this is a better product for A-fib. I've been told it is amiodarone without the iodine, and the bad side affects! I'll keep you guys posted on how I handle the new med and if it converts me, and when. So far, so good!! :cool:

Best wishes
David L

Local Doctors (who have prescribed amiodarone quite often) have begun prescribing dronedarone. It will be 'interesting' to see 'how it goes'.

OTOH, have you ever tried SOTALOL (generic form of BetaPace)?

My Cardio tells me that it "targets A-Fib".
Several of our members report Good Control of their A-Fib with Sotalol. Sotalol is CHEAP. The most common side effect is 'some dizzyness' as you adjust to the medication which typically subsides in a few weeks.

The information sheet recommends that patients be hospitalized for 3 days while starting Sotalol since "it can cause dangerous arrhythmias" as the body adjusts to the new medication. Not all Doctors follow this recommendation. YMMV

Local Doctors (who have prescribed amiodarone quite often) have begun prescribing dronedarone. It will be 'interesting' to see 'how it goes'.

OTOH, have you ever tried SOTALOL (generic form of BetaPace)?

My Cardio tells me that it "targets A-Fib".
Several of our members report Good Control of their A-Fib with Sotalol. Sotalol is CHEAP. The most common side effect is 'some dizzyness' as you adjust to the medication which typically subsides in a few weeks.

The information sheet recommends that patients be hospitalized for 3 days while starting Sotalol since "it can cause dangerous arrhythmias" as the body adjusts to the new medication. Not all Doctors follow this recommendation. YMMV

To update the forum. 72 hours after first taking dronedarone (Multaq) 400mg morning and evening I went back into NSR, after being in A-fib 18 hours before that. So far I am not feeling any side affects from the Multaq!!

Back