Went blind in my left eye for 2-3 minutes!!! WTH?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deek

Last night I completely lost all sight in my left eye for approximently 2-3 minutes before it slowing started to come back. I've been noticing more palpatations lately and my head feels kinda funky. WTH? Has anyone experienced this? Could this be a sign of a stroke? OMG! Just to refresh your memories, I'm about 3 months post MVR. Thanks for any insight. Dee

You need to see the Doctor. It could have been a TIA or mini stroke or something else, but whatever, you need to let your Doctor know.

You need to see the Doctor. It could have been a TIA or mini stroke or something else, but whatever, you need to let your Doctor know.

Thanks, Ross! I just left a message with my doctor's nurse. I spoke with my brother, a doctor, but oncologist, and he said to alert her and go into the ER if it happens again.

I'm about 2.5 months post AVR and had a very similar experience in one eye, but only about 1/2 my field of vision was affected??? This was this AM, strange coincidence! No other symptoms.

I'm about 2.5 months post AVR and had a very similar experience in one eye, but only about 1/2 my field of vision was affected??? This was this AM, strange coincidence! No other symptoms.

Very STRANGE coincidence, indeed! I was completely blind in the left for 2-3 minutes. VERY SCARY!!!

Joe had many of those. His were TIAs. However, I want to caution you. I think your brother is right to go to the ER. One time Joe had it happen and he thought it was the same old, same old. He never told me, and just let it be. It didn't clear up. He had had a hemorrhage in his eye and he became premanently blind in that eye.

His eye doctor said it was a shame because had he gone to the ER, there was a chance they could have saved some vision in the eye. There is a 3 that is three hour interval when it has the possibility of being helped, after that the vision is impaired permanently.

Please forgive my ignorance but what is a TIA?
thanks

What is a TIA or transient ischemic attack?

A TIA is a "warning stroke" or "mini-stroke" that produces stroke-like symptoms but no lasting damage. Recognizing and treating TIAs can reduce your risk of a major stroke.

Dee I just figured it out. You went to the darkside of internet and found pics of me didn't you? That would surely do it. :D

Dee--
I've had something similar, but not the same. Almost like a gray-out in both eyes with palpitations. Glad that you called the doctor (and your bro, too), though. Keep us informed!

Dee, a 2-3 minute vision loss may have been a mini-stroke and needs your physicians attention. I had a similar event seven years after surgery that caused partial blindness .......and it never came back. In my opinion, any event that causes vision impairment needs quick attention by a medical professional.

I had several TIA's a few weeks after AVR. Mine effected one eye, it was like a window shade came down about half way. Lasted a minute or so.
It can be serious and requires attention.

I've also had a torn retina, my eye filled with spots. It required emergency laser eye surgery to save the eye.

dee: hope its all ok..ive never lost total sight but ive had loss of partial sight and had tons of mris and vision exams etc and they could never dx tia but they thought it was an occular migraine which can produce partial loss of vision atleast.. not sure about total. let us know because i just got two of these episodes and I keep shrugging them off so im glad to know about themore serious version.

I agree with everyone, get checked out, it could be serious. Do you have any headache pain associated with it?

I have not had what you are describing, but after my surgery there were several times when I had instant shooting pain in one eye, like someone stabbed a knife into a nerve in my eye. I also had, and continue to occasionally have, partial blindness in one eye due to migraine-style auras. I don't get a migraine but have the visual disturbances for 15-30 minutes. My surgeon said he didn't do anything to effect my eyes and said if I was concerned I should visit an optometrist. I know lots of people on VR.com have the aura issue post surgery. I never found out what caused the stabbing pain, fortunately that stopped.

Dee, please get this problem checked out. And post what you find out.
Best,

Thank you ALL! I put in a call to my cardiologist...hoping to hear back from her first thing tomorrow morning. If it happens again, I'm going to the ER. Something is going on? I haven't had anymore vision loss but I've been having palpatations ALL day, my limbs feel especially weak,and I just don't feel right. Not that I've felt good as of late but THIS is different. Again, thank you all so much for concern and guidance. I'll keep you posted.

Dee

Latest posts

Back