On-X LTI 15 Years of Clinical Excellence On-X LTI 15 Years of Clinical Excellence

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went blind in my left eye for 2-3 minutes!!! WTH?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went blind in my left eye for 2-3 minutes!!! WTH?

Last night I completely lost all sight in my left eye for approximently 2-3 minutes before it slowing started to come back. I've been noticing more palpatations lately and my head feels kinda funky. WTH? Has anyone experienced this? Could this be a sign of a stroke? OMG! Just to refresh your memories, I'm about 3 months post MVR. Thanks for any insight. Dee
    11/07: Dual Chamber Pacemaker for Sick Sinus Syndrome
    03/09: Mitral Valve Repair w/ Annuloplasty Ring for Mitral Regurgitation
    07/11: Mitral Valve Replacement for Mitral Stenosis

You need to see the Doctor. It could have been a TIA or mini stroke or something else, but whatever, you need to let your Doctor know.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
      You need to see the Doctor. It could have been a TIA or mini stroke or something else, but whatever, you need to let your Doctor know.
      Thanks, Ross! I just left a message with my doctor's nurse. I spoke with my brother, a doctor, but oncologist, and he said to alert her and go into the ER if it happens again.

Comment

I hope it was nothing serious. Definitely see your doc!
        Cheryl
        Mom to Alyssa age 17 (HH), Christopher age 12 (Tetralogy of Fallot & pulmonary valve replacement after ToF repair), Lorelei AKA Lolly age 4 (HH)

Comment

I'm about 2.5 months post AVR and had a very similar experience in one eye, but only about 1/2 my field of vision was affected??? This was this AM, strange coincidence! No other symptoms.
          Phil
          Aortic Valve (Edwards 23 cm 3000TFX) and Aortic Root Replacement 4.21.09, St. Mary's Hospital, Reno, NV. Surgeon: Dr. Roumanas

Comment

Originally posted by bugchucker View Post
            I'm about 2.5 months post AVR and had a very similar experience in one eye, but only about 1/2 my field of vision was affected??? This was this AM, strange coincidence! No other symptoms.
            Very STRANGE coincidence, indeed! I was completely blind in the left for 2-3 minutes. VERY SCARY!!!

Comment

Joe had many of those. His were TIAs. However, I want to caution you. I think your brother is right to go to the ER. One time Joe had it happen and he thought it was the same old, same old. He never told me, and just let it be. It didn't clear up. He had had a hemorrhage in his eye and he became premanently blind in that eye.

His eye doctor said it was a shame because had he gone to the ER, there was a chance they could have saved some vision in the eye. There is a 3 that is three hour interval when it has the possibility of being helped, after that the vision is impaired permanently.

Comment

Please forgive my ignorance but what is a TIA?
                thanks
                Phil
                Aortic Valve (Edwards 23 cm 3000TFX) and Aortic Root Replacement 4.21.09, St. Mary's Hospital, Reno, NV. Surgeon: Dr. Roumanas

Comment

Originally posted by bugchucker View Post
                  Please forgive my ignorance but what is a TIA?
                  thanks
                  What is a TIA or transient ischemic attack?

A TIA is a "warning stroke" or "mini-stroke" that produces stroke-like symptoms but no lasting damage. Recognizing and treating TIAs can reduce your risk of a major stroke.

Comment

Dee I just figured it out. You went to the darkside of internet and found pics of me didn't you? That would surely do it. :D

Comment

I would get it checked out. You do not want that to happen when your driving. Best of luck.
                      Deb
                      Coincidence is Gods way of remaining anonymous.
                      AVR 7-6-07 Bovine Pericardial Valve. Akron City Hospital Ablation 6/08, Akron City Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by deek View Post
                        Thanks, Ross! I just left a message with my doctor's nurse. I spoke with my brother, a doctor, but oncologist, and he said to alert her and go into the ER if it happens again.
                        Please keep us informed, Dee. Best of luck, hoping it is nothing serious and that it won't happen again.
                        Eva

Aortic & Mitral valves replaced with St. Jude Mechanical valves @ age 57 on 9/2/08

INR home tester/Coagucheck

Forum Rules: " .... medical opinions expressed in this forum are the personal opinions of individuals. No person should at any time
                        act on the information contained herein without the express consent of your own physician."

Comment

Dee--
                          I've had something similar, but not the same. Almost like a gray-out in both eyes with palpitations. Glad that you called the doctor (and your bro, too), though. Keep us informed!
                          Debi (debster913)

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Indigo"]Congenital heart attack, 1975
                          Minimally invasive mitral valve repair June 16, 2006
                          USC University Hospital/Dr. Vaughn Starnes
                          American Heart Association Go Red for Women/ Heart Walk volunteer

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.--Psalm 73:26[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Dee, a 2-3 minute vision loss may have been a mini-stroke and needs your physicians attention. I had a similar event seven years after surgery that caused partial blindness .......and it never came back. In my opinion, any event that causes vision impairment needs quick attention by a medical professional.
                            Starr-Edwards mechanical AVR 1967 at age 31.....University of Kentucky Med. Ctr., Drs. Richard Wood & Gordon Danielson surgeons. No surgery (heart or otherwise) since. On Warfarin ACT since surgery with no diet, lifestyle, or activity restrictions....and I live one day at a time.

Comment

It also might be a detached retina. If so, it needs to be looked at immediately. If you wait you could have impaired vision.
                              Dan
                              AVR 06/05/07, On-X 21mm Aortic Valve, Dr. Ammar S. Bafi, Washington Hospital Center, Wash, DC. And Medtronic Model ADDR01 Pacemaker.
                              Pre-Op: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aqjVayhcPY[/url]
                              Surgery: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RQSHbqGsTI[/url]
                              Post-Op (hospital):[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76FLYbYNpEA[/url]
                              Post-Op (out of hospital): [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RK9NpGr2-s[/url]
                              Recovered: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l39ahBFGnuk[/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X