PH: Burning feeling when I inhale and cough when I exhale?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deek

Ok, so I'm 2 and a half months post-op MVR and didn't have such a great post-op echo; which I've heard is not all that uncommon. Indicated moderate-to-severe TR, moderate PH and CHF. Both my cardiologist and surgeon expect this to improve by 6 months post-op and prescribed the following to help me deal with symptoms: Lasix, Lisinopril, Toprol XL. Been on these for almost three weeks now and symptoms are not improving. For example, I have a constant burning feeling in my chest/lungs when I take a breath and when I exhale, I cough. THIS, of course, worsens while I'm lying down. THIS IS NOT INDIGESTION...TOTALLY DIFFERENT. At first, my cardiologist thought it was the Lisinopril but I had it prior to taking. Is this a symtom of PH? My cardiologist and surgeon don't seem to think I need to worry about the PH, saying it will go away with time. I'm not so certain and have learned to question the opinions of my physicians as they have been just plan WRONG in the past. Not sure what to do about this as it isn't getting any better and it's not pleasant to deal with. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this? Nancy, did Joe have this? Thanks, Dee

Ok you got me stumped. I have PH and don't have that sensation. How about I do a bronchoscopy on you?

Ok. I also should mention that I'm quite SOB and feel congested. Feel like I have an enormous amount of pressure. Not sure what it is either? I am an odd duck. LOL

I could blame CHF, Pleural effusion, but you'd have pain on inspiration, not burning. I know at times, my heart is so enlarged that it makes everything inside my chest feel cramped. You have something else going on there. Had a Chest xray lately?

Doing quick search on google produced a few others with the same complaints and no real answers. Some were treated for indigestion, which your sure it is not, some were refered to infectious disease doc to check for mycrotoxins in the lungs. Another was diagnosed as having a swollen rib cage? How that can be, I don't know.

Ok, so I'm 2 and a half months post-op MVR and didn't have such a great post-op echo; which I've heard is not all that uncommon. Indicated moderate-to-severe TR, moderate PH and CHF. Both my cardiologist and surgeon expect this to improve by 6 months post-op and prescribed the following to help me deal with symptoms: Lasix, Lisinopril, Toprol XL. Been on these for almost three weeks now and symptoms are not improving. For example, I have a constant burning feeling in my chest/lungs when I take a breath and when I exhale, I cough. THIS, of course, worsens while I'm lying down. THIS IS NOT INDIGESTION...TOTALLY DIFFERENT. At first, my cardiologist thought it was the Lisinopril but I had it prior to taking. Is this a symtom of PH? My cardiologist and surgeon don't seem to think I need to worry about the PH, saying it will go away with time. I'm not so certain and have learned to question the opinions of my physicians as they have been just plan WRONG in the past. Not sure what to do about this as it isn't getting any better and it's not pleasant to deal with. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this? Nancy, did Joe have this? Thanks, Dee

Dee i've got ph and chf and i felt so much worsened when i would lie
down i went in discribed it as almost indigestion but not and such heaviness
upon my chest and i had alot of cough while lying down also.

with me they reminded me what my body had gone through and suggested an x-ray ,they found some fluid in my lungs but wasn't a big deal (yet) they said and i was put back on drugs as you discribed and to use my spirometer
It took along time to straighten out,but it has.(i think) for me anyhow.
Maybe someones suggestion think Ross made get an x-ray would be good idea.

sure hope it gets better for you soon,God bless.

zipper2 (DEB)

Thanks Ross and Deb! I was suppose to have a chest x-ray prior to seeing my cardiologist two weeks ago...but after she saw me, she told me to forget it, that my lungs were clear. She blamed the symptoms on the CHF and said it would improve with the meds. Still hasn't...so I don't know? Maybe I should insist on the chest x-ray, just to make sure. Gosh, I feel like such a pain in the ass. It's always something. Again, thanks for your help Ross and Deb!

Back