Do'd and Dont's After Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shari -

I see that your list does NOT include COUMADIN or it's Generic form, WARFARIN.

One of these drugs is an ABSOLUTE MUST for patients with Mechanical Heart Valves to prevent Blood Clots.

Mechanical Heart Valves are known to allow Blood Clots to Form unless you take an "anticoagulant" (incorrectly known as "Blood Thinners") which prevents Clot Formation.

You need to call your Cardiologist First Thing in the morning, tell him you have a Mechanical Heart Valve and do NOT have a prescription for Coumadin. You need to be seen ASAP to have someone explain how to take this drug and what is required in the way of regular testing to ensure that your blood is in the "Safe Range".

Without this drug, you may be experiencing 'mini-strokes' which could explain your confusion.

You SHOULD have received a Prescription for this drug when you were released from the Hospital. Is it possible that someone overlooked it?

Please make this your #1 Priority.
Your Quality of Life may depend on this drug.

Al, I'm wondering if she doesn't have a tissue valve, but just refers to it as a "mechanical valve". I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't have caught it if she weren't taking coumadin.

Shari, do you know exactly what type of valve you have? Has anyone told you whether it is tissue or mechanical?

Kim

First I use a CPAP with extra oxygen everynight and I am on three litters a day and when I walk in the house, I bump it up to four litters.

I was given the mechanical valve since the aorta was not in to good of shape.

This is Shari's post / reply #31 in this thread.

Something is clearly amiss and/or someone 'dropped the ball'.

Other possibilities also exist. We just don't know what happened.

I'm hoping that Shari will personally contact her Cardiologist and Primary Care Physician to develop a workable Care Plan that she can understand and implement to manage all of her issues.

Al, I agree with you. I read it all too. It just is too horrific to me to think that someone sent her home with a mechanical valve without coumadin. I hope, for her sake, that you are wrong. Shari, Al is correct, you need to get in touch with your Dr. first thing tomorrow.

Kim

Shari-

When you get a mechanical valve, they will tell you which kind you received, such as St. Jude, On-X, etc.

When you get a tissue valve they will tell you that you got a pig valve or a cow valve.

Do you remember what they told you about your valve and what it is?

I know you said it was mechanical, but you may be using that term to cover any kind of valve.

If you can give a little more detail about the valve it would help.

They told me it was the mechanical valve.
I never received a prescription for Warfrin.
I think Dr. Stone was trying to hurt me since called me stubborn and he did not get his way.
I am hopeful my PCP will write the script for Warfrin.

Shari is this your Dr. Stone?

uhs_033925-1_000.gif

"I think Dr. Stone was trying to hurt me since called me stubborn and he did not get his way."

I am having a hard time understanding that statement. Doctors are trained to basically ignore difficulties with their patients, especially when the patient is very ill. Surgeons are more so. They see people all the time who are so terribly sick and saying bizarre things or who are hospitalized on many different types of medications which can affect their behaviour.

I can't say it would never happen, but I don't believe that your surgeon is trying to hurt you at all.

You can get a proper answer regarding your valve and which one you have by calling the surgeon's office. You don't necessarily have to speak with the surgeon. Many have a Physician's Assistant who can answer such inquiries.

Just call and ask them what type of valve you have, and if Coumadin is necessary for that valve. You may have a tissue valve and someone gave you the wrong information.

At any rate, for your future health, you HAVE to find out exactly what valve you have, and how to care for it.

You have every right to have a copy of your surgeon's report. In that report, it will say exactly what valve was implanted. Knowing this is very, very important to your well-being. Simply call your surgeon's office and ask they send you a copy of the report. It is usual and customary and almost all of us have this. You should too.

If you actually have a mechanical valve, you must get on ACT, Shari.
It seems impossible to fathom you were discharged home without this education by your nurse, PA or someone.

We're worried about you.

Shari,

With all due respect, your DOCTORS are the ones who need to be directing your Medical Care, not us.

Call your PCP, make an appointment, and let your local professionals direct your medical care.

Back