Mitral valve leak after repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiley2000

I had my 6 weeks check-up today and was disappointed to see that I still have a bit of a leak after mitral valve-repair. What are the prognosis? Will it become a severe leak again??????????? My Cardio just said that we'll follow it up in 6 months time.

oh goody.:rolleyes:

What was the specific reason that sent you into surgery in March?

My husband had a repair done 1 year ago because of at least 1, maybe 2, chordae that had ruptured due to a car accident. Otherwise, the valve was in good condition, as were the other 3 valves. No resectioning of the leaflets was required, nor was there any degeneration of the leaflet tissue (that was the case with me). Because of this, John's repair more or less has a "lifetime guarantee" (my words, not the surgeon's).
John has a 1-year recheck with his surgeon tomorrow (May 13).
I'll run past Dr. Ryan about repaired valves leaking and will post that here.

Don't know what your surgeon said, but it is EXTREMELY common to still have a small amount of leakage after a repair. The key is that it should be in the trace/trivial range and should not get any worse over time. I too, was surprised when I was told this at my two-month checkup, but have come to find out that it is not an issue. You may find out over time (as I have) that your amount of leakage drops to virtually nothing as your heart reshapes with the repaired valve.

I have "trace" leakage after my mitral valve repair. My Cardio says it is normal, and it is leaking less than many "normal" valves. It's not expected to increase over time.

Latest posts

Back