neck and shoulder pain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BackDoc said:
".....(not jumping on my back with their knee)"

No Chiropractor is going to jump on anyone's back with their knee!

The upper back, neck, and shoulder pain is normal. That was my worst complaint following my surgery.

You need to gently stretch it out, use heat, maybe gentle massage, if your Chiropractor uses a mechanical adjusting instrument that can help considerably.

Valium isn't going to help--you need gentle physical activity, not a sedative.

The sooner you can get active, within your reasonable boundries, the sooner you'll get over this.

My Chiropractor used stretching, gentle massage and electrical muscle stimulation all of which was very helpful....I can't agree more with getting active....I started to hold my arms out to the side and rotate them forward then backwards as I walked and that helped a great deal as well.

Oops...didnt mean to suggest you dope yourself up on valium for the duration...just that it may help during those sleepless nights if the pain gets too much.

As great as it sounds, dont go rushing out to find a good Masseur or Osteopath etc. yet....I was told to wait a minimum of 6 weeks until the sternum had pretty much healed/fused.

thank you

thank you

I hear folks talking about stretches. Is there any website or books that specifically targets folks like us to show us acceptable exercises. The pain is on the IV side, Wouldn't it be nice to have a book of exercises for post op heart patients!

Heating pad...

Heating pad...

One suggestion...I've started (last two nights) sleeping on a heating pad...place it right under my neck and shoulders...keep it on low. I've noticed that my neck/shoulders aren't nearly as stiff throughout the day, so you might try that. It's helping me.

Just a suggestion...

Try to sleep without a pillow, just on your mattress. At the beginning it will be painful, but for me this helped. Later you could try to lay on your back on the floor, maybe with someone’s help.

Latest posts

Back