visible neck pulsation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLB123

Hello
I was just wondering if anyone else has or had experienced a visible neck pulsation after their surgery. A few of my family members noticed it right after my surgery. It is mainly on the right side. I have noticed it on the left side just not as prominent. I had noticed it but never really thought anything of it. I find myself looking at the necks of other people to see if they have it. Anyone out there have any information for me. Is it normal? Will it eventually go away? Is it something I need to worry about? I appreciate any and all comments.

I never really post much. I guess I feel I'm still new to this. I am just about 7 months post-op. I do read many of the posts. I can't even tell you how much they have helped me in my recovery. I have had so many questions answered here without having to ask them. So for this I have to say THANKYOU!!
Tara

Hmmm, no, never noticed that. I do look at the right side of my neck since I don't like the scar that I have from the central line and for awhile I was obsessing over it. :eek:

Is your BP high? Mine is on the low side, 100/60.

Peace,
Ruth

That means that you are retaining water. It is mainly visible on the right. If you see it you need to talk to your docs immediately to discuss diuretics. Also, please reduce your salt intake. Do you weigh yourself daily? Weighing himself and looking at his neck veins are the 2 tests that my son is supposed to perform daily (unfortunately, he doesn't, but he is 17 and thinks that he knows more than everyone else).

Hi Ruth
My blood presssure is usually pretty good. It is usually 100-110/60-65. I don't like the scar from the central line either.

Hi briansmom.
I haven't noticed any swelling in my ankles or hands. I have weighed myself a few times in the last week or so and haven't noticed a difference.

Thanks to both of you for responding.

I also have noticed the vein in the right side of my neck is looking bigger than the one on the left....I thought it was from the central line during OHS or from the force of pressure with my new valve. My BP is low and I already eat a low sodium diet.

Several of our members have commented on a "Bounding Hearbeat" in the early part of their recovery. I wonder if this might also be seen as you described.

I suspect the cause is related to the heart muscles still acting as they had become conditioned to do while pumping against a stenotic valve. Eventually the "Bounding Heartbeat" subsides as the heart muscles recondition themselves to your new valve (with a lower gradient to pump against).

As mentioned before, it would be wise to bring this up with your Cardiologist.

'AL Capshaw'

I don't want to alarm anyone but it was this pulsation of the vein on the right side of my neck that my doctor said was an indicator that I was experiencing severe signs of CHF last year. Three weeks later, in March of 2006, I had OHS to re-replace the Aortic mechanical valve. :(

I knew something was not right before the doctor told me that because I did have some signs of swelling on my ankles & some SOB but I never thought that it was because of my valves were going bad!:eek:

Given what I know & what happened to me, I would have things checked out with my cardio ASAP if I were you. Take care & good luck to you!

Thanks for all the replies!! I know I need to check with my cardio. I have an appointment in January. I feel as if everything is OK. If anything changes like I get SOB or I notice some swelling I will call. It's just weird to see this pulsation on my neck which clearly wasn't there before the surgery.
Thanks

My son has never had any swelling in his ankles in spite of the visible neck pulse. Every time that he has had an echo when his neck veins were visible his pulmonary pressure was up and they said that it was obvious that he was "wet". Please follow up with you cardio.

Jugular Distention

Jugular Distention

Up to the point of my OHS / AVR, my neck was ever increasingly pulsing, much to the dismay of my cardio and my spouse (who is in the cardio field too).

With me, I had progressed to severe regurgitation and the "pulsing neck" was a sign/symptom.

Please let us know when you get it checked out.

Latest posts

Back