Pleural Effusion

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bulldog said:
What is Pericardial Tamponade if you don't mind me asking?

BulldogBob, I looked this up for you: "Pericardial tamponade: A life-threatening situation in which there is such a large amount of fluid (usually blood) inside the pericardial sac around the heart that it interferes with the performance of the heart. The end result, if untreated, is low blood pressure, shock and death. The excess fluid in the pericardial sac acts to compress and constrict the heart. The word "tamponade" is direct from the French. The French verb "tamponner" means to plug up and, also, to smash into. Here the outpouring of fluid within the pericardial sac is, so to speak, smashing into the heart. Pericardial tamponade can be due to excessive pericardial fluid, a wound to the heart, or rupture of the heart. Also called cardiac tamponade."

I couldn't have said it better myself :p

In terms of why I got it, the way my Card described it apparently in some people (I believe he said 1 in 10,000 but don't quote me), the body reacted to the invasive OHS by producing fluid as a counter measure. In my case I didn't catch it until I reached Pericardial Tamponade status. I felt like crap so went to the GP who could barely find a pulse. Into emergency I went and ultimately into surgery to correct. This was 3 weeks post-op. It can reoccur so I was monitored closely for weeks and took the Colchicine as a precaution. Luckily it did not reoccur. I thought this experience was actually more frightening to go through than the OHS itself.

Wow, Wayne - Evidently they didn't exaggerate when "life-threatening" was the first description! Have you written your story down for the Story Section here? Glad the thing didn't come back on you!

AllForDad said:
Marty,

The fluid that had collected in your pleural space was actually blood?? Not fluid which was kinda clear redish/yellow?

Yes, I think it was blood or mostly blood. I never got a good explanation as to what caused it but I believe it was due to a bleeder that was not tied off or zitzed at the surgery along with the fact that my INR was over 5 at the time.Ther was no sign of infection. In your Dad's case they need to make a decision as to do a diagnostic tap and find out the exact composition of the effusion. A lot depends on how large the effusion is. If it is quite small they may simple use diuretics, maybe antibiotics, and hope for spontaneous resolution. Let us know how it goes.

Ross said:
You know, after I posted that, I sat and thought about it. Your right, I'm wrong. Diuretics won't work for effusion.

Ross, In some cases our surgeons DO use diuretics for small non-infectious effusions that don't require thoracentesis. Later their X-rays show the fluid is gone.

Originally posted by Susan BAV
Evidently they did't exaggerate when "life-threatening" was the first description! Have you written your story down for the Story Section here?

I haven't written it in the Story Section but have recounted it in a number of threads. Dr. David gave me quite the lecture about how I could have died if I had left it untreated much longer. I procrastinated as I wasn't really sure how I was supposed to feel (I didn't find VR.com until 14 weeks post-op) and I didn't want to bother him. The moral of the story was if in doubt about how you are feeling post-op, call and ask. Better to be safe than sorry.

Back