Caffeine After Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StretchL

Miami, FL. I'm not really sure what country this
A question for those of you who've had AVR surgery:

Did you refrain from caffeine use afterwards, and if so, for how long?

In an e-mail exchange with Dr. Stelzer the other day, he mentioned that he recommends his patients stay off caffeine for a few weeks after surgery, because doing so can help minimize the risk of atrial fibrillation.

Since my recent Day Surgery Debacle (henceforth to be known as my "DSD") I've not had caffeine... just because I was trying to stay well hydrated at first, but, over the last few days, because I figure I'll have to give it up at the time of my AVR surgery anyway, so why not stay clean now... and I used to drink coffee from early morning up until about 5pm daily.

I thought about this question while reading Kate's thread on alcohol...

Because I still have some issues with arrhythmia I am told to stay away from caffeine. So Dr. Stelzer's instructions sound very practical.

I had mitral valve repair

I had mitral valve repair

but speaking from experience, every time I have tried to go back on "just a little" caffeinated coffee, I invariably get PVCs/PACs that are a real nuisance to get rid of.

I had this happen a few weeks ago. I am not sure if it was caffeine, but right before I had the week-long run of hard, pronounced PACs, I had a big cup of Joe from Starbuck's. :(

I went off caffeine before my surgery and after until about a year after the surgery, then tried just ONE cup a morning, then got PACs, then quit, then started up again recently, and now have quit again. I think I will stick to decaf and an occasional (once a month!) cup of 100-proof.

I think it is an individual thing - some people caffeine does not bother, but I would do as your cardio as told you - no caffeine for a good long while after your surgery. A-fib is not fun. I had a run of it two weeks after surgery and I was cardioverted.

Christina L

P.s.

P.s.

Once your body has adjusted to no caffeine, you will really feel better and less jittery, etc. Decaf tastes just as good (in my opinion).

Right now I am on an apple cider with cinnamon sprinkled on top kick. Better than coffee!

Christina L

StretchL said:
A question for those of you who've had AVR surgery:

Did you refrain from caffeine use afterwards, and if so, for how long?

In an e-mail exchange with Dr. Stelzer the other day, he mentioned that he recommends his patients stay off caffeine for a few weeks after surgery, because doing so can help minimize the risk of atrial fibrillation.

Since my recent Day Surgery Debacle (henceforth to be known as my "DSD") I've not had caffeine... just because I was trying to stay well hydrated at first, but, over the last few days, because I figure I'll have to give it up at the time of my AVR surgery anyway, so why not stay clean now... and I used to drink coffee from early morning up until about 5pm daily.

I thought about this question while reading Kate's thread on alcohol...

Stretch,

Take this as a time to swear off the stuff permanently.
I was a major coffee addict. Today, I drink two cups of "real decaf" each am.
My advise, eliminate it now; best move you can make !!

Ben

Man, I echo Ben Smith. I was a coffee junkie for 35 years, never dreamed I'd get off the stuff. But now I drink Illy decafe in the am and it's wonderful! I know real java would crank me up, but doing without it and getting amped with exercise is better, I think.

I just brew one cup at a time in the little melita filter.

t:eek:

I've given up alot of vices, but coffee is one I still hold onto.;)

I was pleasantly surprised that they let me have coffee in the hospital, but I didn't drink any for the first ten days after I got home (I drank tea instead).
I gradually reintroduced the coffee, and now I drink three cups every morning with an occasional afternoon, or evening cup, thrown in to boot.

I followed Tobagotwo's example; he swears, or did, that he drinks coffee all day long at work. I figured if it were good enough for him, it was good enough for me!:D :p

good thread

good thread

Thanks for starting this thread Stretch. I love coffee and to date do not have any problems with afib etc. But I have thought that the recommendation post-op prob would be to not drink it. I think I will wean myself pre-op to prevent the headache and depression that can accompany sudden withdrawal. On top of everything else I don't think I would want that post-op! Since you're already off you're golden.

I agree with those who think de-caf is just as good. And chai tea's not bad either!

Thanks again, Barbara

I'm 6 months post op and I have to watch my caffeine

I'm 6 months post op and I have to watch my caffeine

I'm a big coffee drinker, I've been drinking it from the age of 8. Before my ross I would have about 10 cups a day. I found after my surgery, caffeine really made me feel bad. My heart would race and I would break out in a sweat. I now only drink 1 cup of "real" coffee a day and drink de-caff the rest of the time. Hope this helps!

Dick had one morning of afib in the hospital and was sent home with instructions for no caffeine, so he has been on decaf since surgery.

Thanks for All the Replies!

Thanks for All the Replies!

My plan is to stay caffeine free at least until well after surgery, and I imagine I'll just make de-caf the norm. During the last couple of weeks I've also discovered that there's no real taste difference, unless you count the more narrow selection of "flavors" most shops have for decaf...

I think your staying off the caffeine is a GREAT idea. It certainly cannot hurt you!! Do take his advice. You may never feel the need for the jolt again.

I've been grinding my own coffee beans since college (we're pretty serious about coffee here in the northwest!) but noticed about 5 years ago that caffeine was giving me the shakes. I switched quite easily to decaf. When the stenosis got bad, any caffeine would give me strong PVC's (or even hot sauces like tabasco) and I even had to give up chocolate :eek: !

I'm happy to report that for me, since about 4 months post op, I'm suddenly okay with a "real" starbucks. I don't do it very often, but when I need a little kick (no time to nap, say, but could probably use one) I'm okay. Recently I went into a furniture store and the owner offered me a cup of Half-caff. Apparently mixing the two now has a name!! I've been doing that for years, just a dollop of my husband's "real" coffee in my large mug of decaf. Sometimes you just need to feel that eye-opening feeling!

Honestly. After awhile....you just don't miss it that much.

Marguerite

hi stretch,
i think it's a great idea too, the decaf. when joey and i travel, he'll often have a cup of half and half (half caffeinated and half decaf. combined), but no more than one cup of regular coffee. i do the same, because it gives me the shakes.

i brew a strong pot of decaf coffee each morning and it tastes just like regular coffee. have never had complaints about it (even from those who normally drink caffeinated_ if i don't tell them!).

give it a try, see how you do, go from there...
please let me know of your rescheduled date so i can come see you and noni!
stay well,
sylvia

I was told to get off caffiene before my AVR do to afid. I went to decaf coffee, tea and sodas. I really do feel better and it did not take too long to get used to the different taste.

The afib is gone (ablation) so I dont worry about caffiene if that's all that there is. Someone said they read that with what they know now that the Feds would have made caffiene a controled substance. Just think of all the money we could make pushing coffee:D :p :D

Tom

Miss my caf

Miss my caf

Hi guys, I am 16 days post OP and do miss the caf. Been drinking Decaf and it tastes just as good but there is something bout the little jolt. I have inadvertently had some Regular Coca Cola with no noticable effects but have stayed away from the regular coffee for now. I was drinking 3 regular cups per day. I do hope I will be able to tolorate it again. I will probably try a cup of caffienated after several more weeks post OP......J :cool:

coffee was on my tray first morning after surgery..and every morning after!
I don't drink it any more.. gave it up with last pregnancy..
However..I am a HUGE tea drinker..
No one limited anything for me:eek:

I think that coffee is nasty stuff; however, I do love Diet Coke, which has must less caffeine than coffee. I was never told to stay away from caffeine and in fact, diet cola was a drink option on the lunch and dinner menu in the hospital. They used Shasta brand though, which I don't like, so my husband brought me one the second day in ICU and then left me some spending money :p so I could walk to the Coke machine when I felt the urge.

No-one's mentioned anything to me but i have taken it upon myself to give up all of my vices over the past 2-3 weeks and the comming month before my surgery, that way if i have a 'slip' it's not that critical.

I've had about 4 cups of real coffee in the past 2-3 weeks and i'm not missing it a bit, drinking loads of water at work.

I've also given up the drink bar the odd bottle of beer or glass of wine (little and often approach)

I've also given up soda such as coke, pepsi etc which has the side effect of helping me give up my fav drink of vodka and coke....not sure why i've given up the soda's other than i've read it somewhere over the past month or so and have take in onboard.

The hardest vice to give up has been crisps (chips), those little cruncy things keep shouting out my name but i've only had approx 1 large bag since the news was broken.

All in all i'm basically slowly training my body into a healthy lifestyle pre-op knowing i'll have the odd slipup so that i have less to deal with post op.

To be honest...i'd drink water and eat oatmeal for the rest of my natural if it meant i was around for the kids much much longer.....i find myself assessing lifes little habits with different critera these days.

I drink tea, strong tea. No one said I ought not and when I was in hospital with heart block a fortnight after my OHS, I also had A Fib and they almost drowned me in strong tea, they gave me so much to drink and that was in a cardiac care unit.

I drink coffee (prefer french roast) -- "leaded" or "unleaded" -- iced, hot, lattes + hot tea, iced tea. Also love coffee ice cream & candies.
I drank coffee & tea (iced) post-op in the hospital. Was not told not to and I don't seem to have any problems with it.

My dad has a right bundle branch block & can't tolerate coffee any longer. Sticks to decaf. Has cut back on coffee ice cream, too.

Latest posts

Back